Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222656 times)

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #690 on: December 22, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
If I do kill him off, I may just frenzy/bezerk him in some sort of failed attempt to gain more Reptilinod abilities (I intend this to go down with no casualties), at which point *cough* An illusion directed at the thousands of minds within him would surely drive him mad and into a trap *cough*...

lol, who could do that? Wow, my character saved by a "female human" more than twice?? I don't think he'll let himself live... :P
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #691 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:26 PM »
I'm in. My charry is tired of being idle lol
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #692 on: December 22, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
But Humans are pretty weak as it is. :(

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #693 on: December 22, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »
True, but the Bar--at least in my understanding--is more about character development and interaction than fighting. It shouldn't matter how physically weak they are; they're interesting! :)
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #694 on: December 22, 2010, 05:41:52 PM »
Humans are also quick and resourceful. They can use weapons and technology to aid them. But they cannot defeat a trans-dimensional monster capable of turning them into dust by looking at them, and pitting two characters like that side by side will not be a fun battle. As Marie said, the bar exists for more of character and story development purposes than for fighting purposes. Yes, fights happen, but they should not be central to the activity of the bar.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #695 on: December 22, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
Yes, I have heard that mentioned. I probably shouldn't have made Fredrick so brash, but I've been noticing something.

All of my characters seem to act similarly. Is that the only way I can make a character? Does that make me uncreative?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #696 on: December 22, 2010, 05:48:44 PM »

All of my characters seem to act similarly. Is that the only way I can make a character? Does that make me uncreative?

I don't think you are uncreative, Chad. I think that you focus more on what your character does than why they do it. Most of your posts consist of just dialogue and action. There is little to no internal conversation, or background motivation for why the characters act the way they do, which is really helpful in the long run for character development (and why most of my posts are never shorter than a full paragraph or two).

For example, when Temrash attacked Corliss his in character reason for doing so was to defend Corliss, even though the two had barely ever conversed and their alliance was tentative at best. Not to mention Temrash was involved in a completely separate conversation at the time. The out-of-character reason Temrash did that was because you wanted something for him to do. I think you need to trust your character personalities and instincts more, rather than focusing on how to create some conflict or action.

EDIT: btw, I thought I'd mention, your characters all have great potential. In my opinion, Claxter especially has room for awesome development, being the Andalite warrior who ran away from war out of fear. That's a great starting point, but you have to continue to develop it. In the time since coming to the bar what has he done? How will that impact his view of the war, given how he entered? What about his personality? His goals? His allies and enemies?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:53:52 PM by Christmas T »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #697 on: December 22, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »
Yes, I have heard that mentioned. I probably shouldn't have made Fredrick so brash, but I've been noticing something.

I don't know if I'm qualified to address your question, considering I have two female characters who are traitorous outcasts, but I hope I've constructed characters with dissimilar enough personalities to offer you a little help.

How did you develop your personality? A lot of it is through your experiences, right? So if you could sit down and write a rational biography of each of your characters, it should theoretically lead to a resultant (and constantly developing) personality. When someone is betrayed, they often become mistrustful and bitter. When someone is successful, they can become prideful.

Look at your characters' backgrounds, fill in the gaps, take into account the fact that the other characters from their pasts have their own personalities, and keep developing personalities based on that. I don't think you're uncreative; after all, your characters have wildly different character backgrounds, and they're all really very interesting. My advice is to let those different backgrounds guide their thoughts, actions, and reactions with a more steadfast hand, rather than how you, the player, might want the characters to think, act, or react.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #698 on: December 22, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
Wow.

That was a most angst-ing end to a powerful character.
 :huh:

BaronConall

« Reply #699 on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
He's gone to a better place.

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #700 on: December 22, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »
I hope so!!!

rofl

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #701 on: December 22, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »
Aw, sorry Baron, but thanks for being sensitive to the nature of the Bar and its patrons. You're an awesome writer, and I know you'll do really well here; I can't wait to see a new character from you!
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #702 on: December 22, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »
Agreed! As a matter of fact, it might be a nice lead if your character sees the 'new' me all fixed up and slumped on the bar counter talking to Silver and comes over asking what's wrong. lol

BaronConall

« Reply #703 on: December 22, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
If by better place, then you mean searing hot lava followed by nothing?

Then, yes.

As for a new character... Possibly a Werewolf. Only one form for him to change into. Savage, but not ridiculously powerful.  may make it so that he's old enough to change at will, but that will take the same amount of time as morphing. He'll be as strong as maybe a strong human or Hork-Bajir and be able to choose between Dire Wolf form and Bipedal Wolf form, but that's about it. Oh, and weak against silver.

Post Merged: December 22, 2010, 06:12:02 PM
Also, Scinlao and Mythica, I'm assuming you guys are RP'ing as being still in the woods? Or going on the fact that Pariah leap-carried you to the Reptilinod ship?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:12:02 PM by BaronConall »

Offline RAFrukh

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #704 on: December 22, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »
Woah, hold on, nobody said they liked Twilight!

lol, jk

As far as I know, we are at the ship. Unless Mythica has some plot reason she would like to be in the forest?