Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222263 times)

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
GESB: OOC Discussion
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
Here we go, guys!  Consider this the place to make any and all out of character (OOC) comments from the Galaxy's Edge Space Bar thread.

A few important rules to help the gaming process along in the GESB:

-New players will please limit themselves to one character; this will aid in proper character development and prevent overcrowding.
-Experienced players will please limit themselves to three characters.  Experience is determined by length of time in the roleplay, as well as general roleplay etiquette, and must be cleared by me, Terenia, Marie, Shenmue or Ossanlin.
-No character sheet is required, simply think of a character with a strong background and rationale for being in a multidimensional crossroads at a bar in space.
-ORIGINAL CHARACTERS ONLY.  Characters can have interactions with canon Animorphs characters, but keep it limited and try to make it as off-screen as you can.  This place is about developing your own character, then giving it a reason to want to be far away from work/life/school/the military/accidentally popped up here for some bizarre Bermuda triangle reason.
-Please try to post in the third person narrative.
-We really, REALLY appreciate decent grammar, spelling, and punctuation along with respectable post length...this includes complete thoughts and sentences.  It's not that hard, people!  Let us know in here if you have any questions, we have an English teacher and four or five other fairly loopy grammar nuts around here.
-Avoid one-liners--try to make your posts as meaty as you can without them becoming unwieldy. 
-PLEASE make the effort to read previous posts that pertain to your characters actions, it helps avoid confusion.
-Let new players know of our symbology usage:  ((Out of Character thoughts within the RPG (OOC), but only when absolutely necessary--most should go in here.))  <Thought-speech>  <<Private thought-speech>>  "Audible speech," she asked politely.
-Limit OOC conversations to OOC thread, please!
-If a storyline splits off from the GESB and leaves the little planetoid the GESB is situated on, PLEASE create your own, new thread for that spinoff.  Feel free to use the terms "GESB: _____" with the blank filled in by a description of the spinoff.  But otherwise, it detracts from the events at the actual bar locality itself. 

GESB Danger Signs

You Might Be Doing It Wrong If...

1- Your characters interact with each other more than other players
2- You crack more bones than jokes
3- You tell us more about your wicked sweet armor or special space powers than you do about what kind of drinks you like, things you say, things you've done
4- You use video game/anime art to describe your character rather than words
5- u abuze teh 3nglish langwage- bad spelling, text speak, bad grammar, etc.
6- You tell people your attack hits rather than letting them tell you if it hit them -- this is called powergaming and it's NOT tolerated.  Everybody deserves the chance to determine whether their character gets hit with an attack, and we don't use a numeric system. 

An example:

NOT OKAY:  "Bob throws a knife and it hits his enemy.  He laughs as it sinks into his enemy's neck and blood spills everywhere."

GREAT!: "Bob throws a knife at his enemy, hoping it will hit, but the angle was difficult."

-Another example of powergaming is making your character automatically know what you, the writer, knows about another character.  For example, walking up to a Controller and knowing right away that it is a Yeerk.  Unless your character has x-ray vision or an insanely good sense of smell (even then, I'm not so sure it'd be obvious...) then remember you are playing a role.  You are not omniscient.
-Don't make your characters all-knowing or all-powerful!  Being able to manipulate energy so that no attack can hit you is also powergaming, and excessive abuse will get you thrown out.  It just ruins the fun for everybody.

Below is one interpretation of the Space Bar, but this is a strange place, with strange, shifting attributes.  Make it your own, before it makes you its own.

Thanks guys, have a fun and productive time here at the GESB :)

EDIT by Terenia 5/11/11 last updated 9/26/2011
Listed below are links to all of the threads involving the GESB:
Primary Threads
Galaxy's Edge Space Bar
Galaxy's Edge Space Bar Archive
GESB: OOC Discussion

Background/Additional Information:
GESB: History Book
Songs in the Key of G-E-S-B

Side Quests:
GESB: Shadow Dimension
Operation Rescue Del Kyree
Operation Time-Cops
GESB: Cursed Pride Adventure
Operation Cocoa Puffs
GESB: Urtahn
GESB: Sanctuary Dimension

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:52:33 AM by Terenia [Teach] »

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

warren_bearclaw

Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
I wondered why after 700 something pages, no one had made an OOC thread. It was bound to happen eventually.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:50 AM »
Yeah, this'll be nice. GESB itself has a tendency to occasionally go multiple pages with mostly OOC posts.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 06:58:09 AM »
I am fascinated by how long it took for this to pop into existence. o.O

Good call, Tara. Thanks!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:39 AM »
Oh thank god. I was wondering when this was going to show up. How the hell have we gone by without one of these for almost a year and a half? XD

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »
Woo, this has been a long time coming! Thanks, Tara! :D
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »
Right, so...

(1). I'm going with the assumption that Mar perceives the Bar as the abode of an otherworldly creature. Possibly a Highest like himself. This is subtly implied by what the Bartender pulls on Myitt much earlier in the story, the lack of Time in this place, and the fact that rarely anyone leaves. Anyone else is up for any other interpretations of the facts they want, considering it's just the background for the story. XP

(2). I'm a little worried about Ossanlin. Even if we manage to get him out of the freeze, he will die. I mean his wounds really suck. XD And Ossanlin is Oss' only character. And frankly he brings a very interesting perspective to the table. Can anyone think of a way to save him? :p
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:40:29 AM by Shenmue654 »

Offline RAFrukh

• Shapeshifting Pile of Goopness
  • Xtreme Member
  • <No, *I* have the sky!>
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Haha, the thread itself is very much OOC posts.

The GESB OOC thread is mostly comments on the relief this thread brings them :P

As for the above's 2nd question: I just got here, but I haz a suggestion. You got a weapon? Melt it. XD
Shameless Promotion of my Universe
RAFcrushing on Mythgirl's ghost :hug: Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is my RAFbrother

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
I'm still cursing Granddad Desmond and his time bombs lolz
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
You know, originally the GESB wasn't filled with THIS many OOC posts ;)

Scinlao, in response to your question about the banner, it was kinda made for people who were in the old school Kimmeree's Anichats on another website--plus it says "veteran", you've got to earn your stripes first! ;D  Maybe there should be a GESB Cadet banner?  I don't even know who made the existing one, but maybe someone can throw one together. 

Someone besides me, because mine will end up looking like a very bad MS Paint job *cough-see my existing Myitt banner-cough*

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:12 AM »
Myitt, the Mirage's hatch is closed. I'm pretty sure the ship is in lockdown.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »
I edited it after checking the old posts, thanks.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »
Hmmm... would anyone on Gaz's crew think it crazy if I brought in a bad guy who actually did use a time bomb on Desmond's Ship? (or really, a Biostasis Weapon) That would explain why everyone on his ship is frozen, but the few of us on the shuttle would be fine... maybe we can run in and stop him? I think I'd like being a bad guy... What do you think, Mythica?

Offline Midnight_Huntress

• The Shadow Walker.....
  • Xtreme Member
  • The Night is my haven, try to get me if you can...
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Well it would get things going quicker......I can't tell you how long Silver has been in her weak state.....and its just depressing.....
J-man is my RAFcousin
Broken is my RAFfather
Darth Vader (Shorty) is my RAFuncle
Reunited with my RAFlove Parker

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
I dislike having my character be stuck because of one RPer, and I'm pretty sure the one using Parker would feel the same sooner or later. This is supposed to be Gaz's show, though.

Just for clarification: Temrash pulled his weapon, but isn't aiming it at Terenia.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:49:16 PM by Chad29 »

Ani-Master 2014!