Author Topic: GESB: OOC Discussion  (Read 222750 times)

Offline Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin)

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
  • May The Force be with you.
Re: GESB: OOC Discussion
« Reply #5595 on: March 29, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Ah...well I thought it had been a multi-decade conflict, but my lack of knowledge regarding Animorphs canon really put me in a bind there.  But I assumed that in Jessi and Tara's timeline that their war started for everyone in 1993, but Ossanlin did meet Myitt in Tara's body, which means that Jessi could very well have meant just the war on Earth started in '93.

I had already tweaked Ossanlin's timeline quite a bit to try and make it line up with this in my previous post.  Honestly in my mind originally, the war had already been running since well before Ossanlin's birth...so to be honest that much earlier start date for the Yeerk-Andalite conflict makes me feel a lot better about where Ossanlin fits into it.  That does help with flexibility....

If I try and frame Ossanlin's timeline into Myitt and Jessi's now with an age I'm a little more comfortable with (30)...that would give him a birth-year of 1974.  Of course I'm doing this all in human years because f*ck time-unit conversions.  Simply means that he joined the war efforts at 16 in 1990 and he was in command of the Tyrennian at the start of '93.  That almost makes even more sense as the Dreadnought Dome (Mk III Dome) was meant to change the tide of the war, but the Yeerks would've also found Earth the same year, which would have turned the tide in their favor...so the two events sort of balance each other out.  That means Ossanlin wouldn't have found the GESB until '95-'96, where he meets Tara.  And there have been more years of conflict between their meeting and present day (~7-8 years-ish).  Making present-day 2004.

But the question still remains, do Tara and Jessi agree that the Yeerks had already been at war with the Andalites for that long in their own timeline?  The shift (if a shift it is for them) wouldn't necessarily affect their human characters, but the Yeerk counterparts would be a different story.
:raftrophy:

Best Role Play Writer ~ 2012
RAF Silverblade
Genuine Kimmeree's Anichat Player

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
  • I love aliens too much...
« Reply #5596 on: March 29, 2017, 05:07:50 PM »
This fascinates me so much -reads all the discussion-

I love the worldbuilding you have added to the Ani'verse, Luke!  o:  I love seeing the expansions on Andalite technology, tactics, and ranks!  It's going to be super fun to play with you, and if Rogue Element opens up again I'll probably join that one too if you'll have me (with another character probably, not Forlin because I don't think he'd be a good fit).  ^.^  I love the ARC, kinda makes me think of an Andalite omni-tool.  ^.^

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5597 on: March 29, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »
omg my brain just broke a little.

Hang on, let me wrap my head around this. Also Tara is correcting me.

In our understanding, the FULL conflict is much longer than the timeline I mentioned before. I've put it below (with Tara's approval). Things in bold are canon. Things in not-bold are Rebellion.

1960: Myitt, Corliss, Reven, Raikker, Larin, Arvash (all brothers, all Yeerks) are born on the Yeerk Homeworld in the Tayon Yerralash pool
1966: Seerow's Kindness occurs; Yeerk uprising results in a section of the population from two pools (Sulp Niar and Tayon Yerralash) being taken to space by a select few in Gedd hosts (all of the above brothers included in that number)
1968: Seerow and Aldrea are assigned to the Hork-Bajir world; Aldrea meets Dak Hamee
1968-1969: Yeerks successfully attack a moon colonized by Skrit Na, securing additional ships and weapons; Yeerks attack and seize Hawjabran colony, but they are uninfestable; Yeerks successfully infest a number of Ongachic minstrels, but as they are nomadic the species does not fall
1970-1975ish: Hork-Bajir planet is lost to the Empire
1975ish-1978ish: Taxxon Homeworld is secured
1978-1982ish: Events of the Andalite Chronicles (Alloran becomes The Abomination); rumors of a Class 5 species begin
1980: Terenia is born :P
1991: Edriss definitively finds a Class 5 Species (Earth), lands and begins investigating opportunity for silent invasion
1993: Edriss leaves Earth after setting up The Sharing and having babies; Visser Three takes over invasion (Transfer of power results in an influx of new Yeerks on planet, including Corliss, Reven, Raikker, Larin, Keslin, and others)
1994: Yeerk rebellion is founded by Corliss, Reven, and Keslin
1995: Myitt is captured by the Empire; brother Raikker is killed; Corliss and Keslin save her life and take her to the Rebellion
1995: There is a Kandrona famine on base; many residents must resort to oatmeal narcotic to survive; Keslin is officially exiled from the rebellion
1995: Base begins to expand, recruiting a formal medical crew
1996: Elfangor crash lands and gives the Animorphs their morphing power
1999: Animorphs effectively end the war on Earth and destroy the Empire
2000: Myitt visits the bar, one of Luke's Imperial characters (I don't know his name, it was before my time!) traces her back to base; Rebel base is forced to relocate
2001: Myitt, Corliss, Tora, Terenia, and Illim all convene at the GESB. Much chaos ensues. Terenia, Efaen (Terenia's former host) and Illim join the Rebellion. (this is the period we all probably remember best, where Hadrin and Tamora died, Salem was introduced, and mayhem was the rule of thumb)
2001: Efaen poisons the rebel base with barium, effectively killing or paralyzing a portion of their population. Her memories are entirely wiped as punishment (actually she was sentenced to death, but...well...Tereni a had a soft spot for her?).
Late 2001: Keslin rejoins the rebellion after spending 6 years leading the nomadic 'pirate rebellion'; there is an influx of new recruits as a result
2002: Base is relocated for a second time after Terenia and another rebel are compromised (following this event Efaen is sent back to Ossanlin's care)
2003: A lot of general chaos at the rebellion with many of the other characters...trips to the GESB are few
2004: Present day, and current presence at the GESB

For Rebellion RP purposes, the events of 1999 did not happen (hence the strikeout), and the events of 1996 (Animorphs getting the morphing power) are up for debate.

....I'm not sure if that helps or just makes things more convoluted. Also, juuuuust for ****s and giggles, here's a link to our character chart. It's...mostly up to date, with a few exceptions.

I'm not sure what this does to your timeline, Luke, or the Ossanlin/Myitt link. I'll let the two of you tackle that one, since much of it was before I was around!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:07:48 AM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
« Reply #5598 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »
All of this Rebellion talk makes me want to bring Indar & Gerlan, alright if I do? o:  But I would want to work things out to figure out where they fit. x3

Or Indar in a Hork-Bajir host perhaps...I stick with just Forlin for now tho :3
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:54:54 AM by dreamsleever »

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #5599 on: March 29, 2017, 11:06:41 PM »
My head just esploded.

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5600 on: March 30, 2017, 03:57:19 AM »
I'm surprised you don't remember Jessi...I did bring him back in to this GESB once...you guys couldn't stop calling him "saran-wrap."  Or maybe that was just Tara.  Anyway...his name is Seran and he's a Visser now.

RAF Silverblade

• RAF Silverblade
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #5601 on: March 30, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
Thanks Dream...I'm glad you enjoy it.  :)  The Animorphs books were so focused on Earth that we never really got to explore Andalite society, so it made a very fertile realm for my imagination.  It was a great opportunity to shed more light on Andalite society, culture, the Homeworld, etc...  As I get the inspiration to write, there will be more chapters...there are a few more between the most-recent one and Ossanlin's first homecoming, but I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to do more with the Homeworld and Ossanlin's old childhood relationships when that chapter finally comes to pass.

Sadly Rogue Element has pretty much run its course.  It died before its time, but we had some players bow out (Estelore) or just stop posting without a word (Tara, Jessi, Ember, Marie).  Since we had so few players (9) in the first place, each one was a huge blow to the RP's viability.  Finally it reached a point where there were only four of us still interested...Kelly, Scott, Chad, and myself.  Kelly got super-busy and Scott has a tendency to sort of blip out of existence for middling periods of time.  Chad and I were unable to keep things interesting with just the two of us and things died out.  Sadly we seem to have lost a few of them altogether.  Chad especially hurts because he was always just so active while everyone else always went in spurts.  He also mained an Andalite character, so losing just about the only other Andalite in the GESB sucked too.  :(

In the end I created a set of circumstances in Ossanlin's personal story (and in that of a few others still visiting the bar) where all the events of Rogue Element have been completely erased (except for the memories of the original reality for Ossanlin and three other characters who have yet to rejoin the bar) so that Ossanlin remains as a viable character for me to use in the GESB.  The deja vu feeling that Kells was describing in Keshin is also in response to this as he's getting hints or feelings of memories from that reality.

So Rogue Element is pretty much over with.  Kinda painful to talk about, that RP was my baby.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:10:39 PM by Luke Skywalker (Ossanlin) »

RAF Silverblade

Offline Forlin

• Fandalite-Controller
« Reply #5602 on: March 30, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
I'll totally check out your fic, I'm so excited!

I'm sad that things didn't work out with Rogue Element!  D:  It looked like an amazing RP, and it looked like it was your baby.  Inactivity from people tends to kill things a lot.  ;-;  If you ever bring it back, I'll totally join.  I'd love to RP with you anytime.  -hugs-  And to talk about Andalites.  They are my favourite species in Animorphs ^.^

If it's any consolation, I mostly write Andalites!  And as you can tell, I have one in GESB (and eventually might have a second one, Gerlan).  Forlin doesn't know much about his people due to amnesia, so he's a perfect discovery character as well, while I learn more of your canon of Andalites so I can make one to fit into the 'verse.  :3  So at least there'll be one other Andalite with ya in GESB.

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #5603 on: March 30, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
I think, even though I was one of the reasons for the failure, I would probably try again in a heartbeat. The idea of Rogue Element was amazing, and in a weird way I think it died before I was mature enough to take things where they needed to go. (That, and the Disability Rights Law Clinic happened. Lord being a lawyer is hard.) But I don't want Luke to have to relive the thing that was so painful for him, so....yeah. : /

By the way, my post will be up very late tonight (Unless I get unlucky). Also, I don't know whether Luke is referring to him or not, but there is definitely one other character who would know about the timeline switch. I keep debating whether to bring him back in, because while it would give Nyr someone to bother it would involve juggling three separate characters on my schedule. o_O He does, however, cause bizarre things to happen around him, and has strange relations with many of the others. (My did the Game of Lies that is Roleplay tie us all together in once Gordion knots....) 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:58:30 PM by Shenmue654 »

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #5604 on: March 30, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »
I'm surprised you don't remember Jessi...I did bring him back in to this GESB once...you guys couldn't stop calling him "saran-wrap."  Or maybe that was just Tara.  Anyway...his name is Seran and he's a Visser now.

I knew it was an S-name!! I think that was just before I joined? It was close. It may have been happening when I joined, but you know how that is...the sheer number ofor characters is a lot to take in when you're new.

Edit: I went back and checked (because, yes, I had to know). The Seran stuff happened in April of 2009 and I joined in June of 2009. (Side note, there's a hilarious OOC convo in there with Tara complaining that she's old on her 25th bday)

As for Rogue Element...it was definitely fun, while it lasted. It was more demanding of time/energy than I had at that point (at least to do it the justice it deserved). I think it was also hindered by my general lack of going to RAF overall for awhile (two jobs plus running a business will do that for your productivity), as well as the fact that I always considered the storyline to be hypo for my characters, not canon.

That said, it was a fun experiment, and I wish I had the energy to dedicate to that robust of a story! The concept was solid -- it just required more love than I could give! (One of the benefits of the GESB is the ease with which you can pop in and out).

I do miss Chad. :-/ Though if you're jonesin' for an Andalite character I have a couple I could eventually bring to the bar, Luke (aside from Efaen). I'd have to figure out how they would relate to Ossanlin first, though, as they'd almost certainly know of him.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:07:17 PM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5605 on: April 01, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
What? I was 25, that WAS old...

...uh. 'Cept now I'll be 33 in June.

Weeeird.

Also, in non-GESB news, in our other RP universe, I just killed off Tara.

Which is.

Really weird to say.

Jorek was involved.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #5606 on: April 01, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »
Good grief, Al talks a lot...

Tara, Tara's dead? o.O Wow. Weird doesn't begin to describe it. This would sound really stupid in any group except this one, but how are you holding up following the death of your fictional character?

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #5607 on: April 01, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
I'm okay, Scott, but it's still really weird to think about...I wrote like, this death scene for someone who is basically me. Sort of.

Kind of.

It was a Dracon shot to the guts. In the middle of the EGS Tower lobby. Taking out the Earth-based Kandrona, Animorphs-style.

Myitt survived, though, which is going to make her feel absurdly guilty, especially considering her brother Larin (the Imperial douche pickle) just died in basically the same way, through Dracon fire.

Ugh. Poor Illim. Poor everyone.

Jorek made them do it.

Also re: Rogue Element, I'd be down for it again, if we want to resurrect it. Just saying...it was an amazing concept. It was an absurdly busy time in my life and I guess I just couldn't spare the bandwidth.

Also also re: Ossanlin and Myitt/Tara - I think that it makes sense cannon-wise the Yeerks and Andalites had been at war since the mid-Sixties, and so Ossanlin would have been born around 8 years after the war (in terms of Seerow's Kindness) begins.

If Ossy and Myitt met in 1995/1996, then damn, that's right after she got her brains scrambled and some serious PTSD from her capture. :/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:55:06 PM by Myitt »

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5608 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »
Whew, would have posted sooner today, but I just got home from work. I'll post as soon as I shower, eat, and hold a hot tea bag over my eye (long story) :P

guitarhero01234

« Reply #5609 on: April 02, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »
Done. Appologies for sappiness on Guppy's part, but I'm incredibly tired at the moment :P