Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 1, #1 The Invasion  (Read 15180 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Week 1, #1 The Invasion
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »
Summary
Sometimes weird things happen to people. Ask Jake. He may tell you about the night he and his friends saw the strange light in the sky. He may even tell you about what happened when they realized the "light" was only a plane - from another planet. Here's where Jakes story gets a little weird. It's where they're told that the human race is under attack - and given the chance to fight back.

Now Jake, Rachel, Cassie, Tobias and Marco have the power to morph into any animal they choose. And they must use that power to outsmart an evil that is greater than anything the world has ever seen...

Questions

1) When Elfangor and Visser Three interact their conversation is very impersonal. How much of their history do you think that KA had figured out at this point?

2) Elfangor's fighter is equipped with two oddities: a family picture and an Escafil Device. Why do you think Elfangor would have these items on a fighter? Especially the Escafil Device - as a fighter pilot, it seems odd that Elfangor would have the added responsibility of guarding a piece of Andalite technology as he rides into battle.

3) The infamous KASU of book #1: Do you think that KA should have kept thought-speak the way it was in the first book, so that they could thought-speak even in human form? Or does it make more sense the way it ended up? If I remember correctly some of the ghostwriters have Ax and Tobias capable of thought-speaking in human morph later on in the series. What do you think about that?

4) How much of an 'accident' do you think Tobias getting stuck in morph was?

5) What do you think of the way KA portrays each of their personalities in this book? This is when we're introduced to the characters, and they're all still incredibly naive. What do you think about how they start out?

6) Cassie is, surprisingly, the first person to agree to receive the morphing power and fight. What do you think about that?

Feel free to answer these questions or not, add your own, etc. Next weeks book will be #2: The Visitor.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline wolfev

Re: Group Re-Read: Week 1, #1 The Invasion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »
This is what really confuses me. The portrait is of too adults and two children. However, Elfangor is much older than Ax so this picture seems impossible. Furthermore Ax never says Elfangor had a family of his own.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »
That's a good point about the picture. The age gap between Elfangor and Ax was pretty large. Maybe Andalites reach adolescence quicker than humans?

Do you know when Ax says that Elfangor has a family of his own? I don't remember that. I had always assumed he spent all of his time away at war and never settled down.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:15:20 PM »
The Andaite's have w kids in the picture and Ax didn't meet Elfangor for a while.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

esplin

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »
do the characters seem flat to anyone in the first few pages?

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:50 PM »
Yeah, they kind of do. I noticed that they all kind of behaved and talked the same way, like they were all the same character. They started to develope their own personality traits later on, though.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
That could be because they're a bunch of normal 13 year old kids at the mall, though. They don't have anything very 'heavy' in their lives to make their distinct personalities stand out in casual conversation. Not like later on when people very quickly get the idea that Rachel is dangerous, for example.

Or maybe KA just wasn't comfortable writing them yet. :P

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
I don't think KA had a very definite personality for them. I mean she planned some things like, rachel was going to be the ultimate warrior or whatever, but I don't think she planned about her becoming ruthless like later in the series. I think KA even said it herself that she just chooses like a main personality and later develops it.

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
I know thatTobias had a crappy life, but I highly doubt that he hated it so much he'd  become a hawk to escape his troubled home life.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »
I don't think he intended to become a nothlit at first. I also don't think it was an accident. I think he made the decision to stay past the two hour limit at the last minute.
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
I agree that it wasn't entirely accidental. There's too much building up to it. He does stupid stuff, stays in morph too long, constantly uses his hawk morph, daydreams about flying, etc.

It's like he's already trapped in morph before he even makes that last transition into hawk. I think that maybe it wasn't purposeful, but he wasn't that upset by the way things turned out. At least not initially. He probably thought of it as the perfect escape from his crappy life.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
I think it was more of a sub-conscious thing. He feels he doesn't want to, but deep down he does. It's very hard to explain it...

Offline wolfev

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »
Hes a hawk trapped in a boys body. Is Tobias human? As the series progresses he gets more strangers genetically. He's a boy who is hawk and half andalite who can later morph.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »
Yeah, I think Tobias wins in the freak department, lol. I have this strange vision of Marco birdwatching with a stranger.

"Oh, look at the red-tailed hawk!" - Birdwatcher.

Marco - "Actually that's not a red-tailed hawk at all. It might look like one, but don't be deceived. Flashy feathers and chicken legs aren't everything, you know.

Birdwatcher - "No, I'm pretty sure that's a red-tail. I am a birdwatcher, after all."

Marco - "Yes, but that isn't even really a bird."

Birdwatcher - "Are you on drugs? Hey, why are you even here anyways? I don't know you."

Marco - "I'm a figment of your imagination."

Birdwatcher - "Huh. Maybe I'm on drugs..."

Marco - "Now you're getting it!"

Birdwatcher - "So if that's not a bird...what is it?"

Marco - "Well it is a bird."

Birdwatcher - "Huh?" Scratches head.

Marco - "It's a boy trapped in a bird body."

Birdwatcher - "That is...insane."

Marco - "And that's my line you just stole." Frowns. "Don't make me mad, or I'll call him over here. He's a precision pooper, you know."

Birdwatcher - "Oooookay. So he's a boy stuck in a birds body."

Marco - "Kind of."

Birdwatcher - "Kind of?"

Marco - "Yeah. He's also the time-altered son of an alien warrior who fell in love with a human. In fact, it was his father that gave him the ability to turn into a bird."

Birdwatcher - "Um....I've got to go."

Marco - "Go? Go where?"

Birdwatcher - "To find a new hobby..."

Ugh...sorry for that long completely irrelevant conversation that popped into my head. It made me giggle. You can shoot me now if you so wish.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:29:18 PM by Terenia »

esplin

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »
i lulzed dont worry :P