Author Topic: Our Summer Vacation...  (Read 37042 times)

warren_bearclaw

Re: Our Summer Vacation...
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
(((Everyone, that's what Sean was replying to...)))

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
Chad had been enjoying the ride--as much as he could--when he suddenly heard something strange. It sounded like somebody had said it, but it was different than a human noise. also, it didn't seem to come from a person, but from...inside of him. Or something like that. He looked all around and shivered. The mutant, or whatever it was, was still just a bit behind him. What could it be? The only thing he saw was a parrot. It felt weird, but Chad said, "Are you talking, parrot?"

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »
<You call this animal a 'parrot'?> The bird flaps its wings just a little. <Then yes, I am the parrot. I am glad to meet you.>

I dropped the rope I was holding... I remembered thinking this would be a strange evening, realizing that I was definitely right. There was a long pause before anyone spoke."You're a parrot... and you're talking. ...But you're not really talking...." Obviously, I knew that some parrots could kinda 'talk', but I also was pretty sure that wild ones from the middle of the ocean didn't carry on conversations. This didn't sound like a parrot either...

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
"Excuse me, but you're glad to meet us?" Chad had to stop for awhile to realize he was talking to a parrot. Or whatever it was. "But, who--or what the heck are you? And what are you doing here?"

radgeek

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:25 PM »
Josefina
"Hello Mr. Parrot," I felt weird talking to a bird.  I reached into my sack and took out a power bar and threw a piece to him, thinking he had been trained to talk for food.  "You should fly home now before we go to far from shore."

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Turning to Jo, he said, "You know...he doesn't talk like any parrot I know (not that I do know many), and he also doesn't seem to talk through his mouth. Somehow, this is different." Chad shrugged. "Or maybe I'm just going weird."

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
"It ain't just you going weird..." I told Chad

"SQUAAACK" The parrot cried when Jo threw the bit of food. <I would like to stay; I wish to speak with you.> There definitely was a difference between the real voice and the 'other' voice.

"No offense, Mr. Parrot, but... we aren't used to talking to animals. I'll ask what he asked," I said, gesturing to Chad. "What are you?"

<I am an Andalite, and I am here to help.> Mr. Parrot said. The bird seemed to lift its head a little higher as it spoke.

There was another long pause. "Maybe you could explain?" I offered. This was normally the point where I woke up from these crazy dreams... right after the crazy stuff, but right before the stuff that made sense..

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2010, 03:16:11 PM »
"Good grief, Mr. Parrot, but just what is an And--Andilite? Or whatever it was. And, how do we know you're telling the truth? Or that you aren't even faking it?"

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »
<I assume that speaking with creatures of this kind is considered 'abnormal' by your people. But that alone is not suitable proof that I mean you no harm> The bird fanned out it's wings and snapped it's beak a few times. <While this body does have many strengths, I would not be successful in an attack. Allow me to explain why I am here, and then you will decide if you will believe what I say.>

<I am not a natural parrot.>

"No kidding..." I muttered. The others laughed nervously

<I am here on this island by accident. Four other Andalites and I traveled to your planet in the hopes of warning you of the great evil that threatens your species. When we arrived, a fleet of Yeerk Bug Fighters ambushed us in orbit. It was by great fortune were we able to crash land safely on a nearby island. The Yeerks followed us, and destroyed our ship completely. Only by morphing - or changing our bodies into those of other animals - were some of us able to escape detection.>

"Wait a minute... You're a shape-shifting alien? Is that what you're saying?"

<I am what you call an 'alien', yes>

"Then show us." I demanded.

<Unfortunately, I have lost my ability to morph. The Yeerks remained on the island for a long time, searching for us. After two of your hours in a morph, it becomes irreversible. I ... I am permanently trapped in this form.> The bird shifted from one foot to the other.

radgeek

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2010, 04:12:10 PM »
Josefina
The squawk had come from a different place than his words.  "Maybe there is something wrong with this island." I didn't want to acknowledge what could not be real.  And I had this nasty image of him growing into a oversized bug too.

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
The bird made an odd clicking sound and ****ed his head. <There is something defective with this land mass?>

"Never mind that" I said. "What was that you said about some 'great evil'? Was that the Yucks, or whatever they were? " Part of me thought that it was awfully convenient that he couldn't prove what he'd said about turning into animals, but then again, it was a telepathic bird that I was dealing with. I figured I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

<They are called Yeerks. They have no body, like yours or mine but instead live in the bodies of other species. Currently, they are favoring your species.  They are almost powerless without hosts; they are parasites. They must have a host to live in. In this form they are known as Controllers. They enter the brain and are absorbed into it, taking over the host's thoughts and feelings. They try to get the host to accept them voluntarily. It is easier that way. Otherwise the host may be able to resist, at least a little.>

I suddenly understood why he referred to them as 'great evil'. I kinda agreed with him.

This was deep stuff I was hearing... assuming I could take the word of this psycho-talking parrot. I sat down and rubbed my temples, still waiting to wake up and find myself back in my cabin on board the ship. So...what? There was a covert alien invasion going on; It reminded me of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Some aliens were trying to stop them, and we humans were apparently the end prize of their little skirmish. I wasn't too interested in simply being a trophy for other species. "Okay, so now what?"

radgeek

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:44 PM »
Josefina
"Don't volunteer us to do anything for this alien, Mr. Black," I warned.  "How do we know that he isn't evil?"

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 03:01:01 AM »
Chad crossed his hands and looked at the telepathatic bird. "How do we know you aren't a Yeerk? How do we know that you're telling the truth?" He paused, then remembered something. Turning to his backpack, he unzipped it and pulled out the blue box. "What is this?"

warren_bearclaw

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
<That> The Andalite-bird said <is why I stay on this island. It is called an Escafil Device. This is our most secret weapon; we could not afford for the Yeerks to find it. Before we landed, we jettisoned it onto this island, to prevent the Yeerks from finding it. They must never find it.> With this last part, his 'voice' became very serious, very tense.

"A blue box? That's your great weapon?" I said skeptically.

<The Escafil Device grants those who use it the ability to morph. You will only need to touch a creature, any creature, to acquire its DNA pattern, and you will be able to become that creature. It requires concentration and determination, and....>

"Wait... us?"

<Yes. Each of you has handled it, am I correct? This is why I wish to speak with you. You have all unknowingly gained the power to morph.>

The wind had picked up while we listened. "Hey Jo? I think it would be alright if we're a little late getting back to the dock...."

Offline Josh (J)

• The Dude
  • God
  • Back from the dead.
    • Josh the Normal
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:46 AM »
"Good grief," Chad said. He scratched his nose, a sign that he was in deep thought. "If we really can morph, than that means I could touch you and become you or what?"