Author Topic: "Classic" Animorphs books?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
Re: "Classic" Animorphs books?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »
I'm flabbergasted by all the hate for #3. It's one of my top five in the series! So much deliciously well-done Tobias angst. It was the first time, as a kid, I was exposed to an existential crisis in literature.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
Haha. No worries, Lisa, I loved #3 ^_^

To me, the "classic" books would have to be the first ten or so, and then the "golden age" of the series (I'm totally with Jen on this one) started around 12 or so and lasted through 26. After that, it starts to feel like a different series entirely, and before that, it's like Katherine and Michael were still getting their sea-legs.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Red

• raptor girl
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 07:20:15 AM »
Embarrassingly for someone who has a BA in English Literature and is doing a MA in Creative Writing, I never picked up on any massive flaw in the writing. I was pretty happy just loving them unconditionally. That said, in hindsight some of the book were quite slow. I loved books where Tobias struggled with his indentity, and #19 with Cassie and.. Aftran(?) has to be one of my favourite in the series.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:45 AM »
19 was definitely the best Cassie book. It just shows how much Cassie is a deeper character than the others. The rest of the books portrayed her as a shallow and weak hypocrite.  :(
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
^I think there are plenty of other books where she doesn't come across as that, but #19 is definitely the book that makes Cassie.

Offline patric

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 01:22:02 AM »
three through nineteen are really the "classic" books for me. Probably because those where the ones i read consistently growing up ( i skipped around after that, reading only a few here or there). Three started it because i was so intensely interested in Tobias's character development (he is really the first Animorph i felt gave me a lot of it) and nineteen because, even though twenty was the last one i read as a kid,, nineteen was the last good one before i went Ani AWOL. It was so intense. i remember having shivers.

There are tons of good ones after that, but those are my classics.
"And for years I believed
That what went unsaid between us became empty,
And pure, like starlight, & that it persisted.

I got it all wrong.
I wound up believing in words the way a scientist
Believes in carbon, after death. " --Excerpt from Winter Stars by Larry Levis

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »
I'd say the Chronicles books. The Andalite Chronicles really established the series for me.

What does it mean to be free?

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:37 AM »
Agreed chronicles were awsome.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline Cecil475

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:11 PM »
I think 1-10 are classic.

- W

Offline Ameli

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:09 PM »
Number 41, actually. It was so... moving?
Nothing is right anymore.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 06:08:30 AM »
*brain 'asplodes*

Well, to each their own.

Offline Ameli

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
*brain 'asplodes*

Well, to each their own.

Yeah. I know it isn't the most popular...
Nothing is right anymore.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 09:34:55 AM »
I like 41 too. I'm actually surprised that everyone hates it just because it doesn't make logical sense. It's a dream! No sense happens in dreams! I think it was a good portrayal of Jake's subconscious. The Venber for instance, how each tiger bite tastes foul in his tongue. I could go on and on.... but sigh...
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »
I don't hate it because it doesn't make logical sense, I hate it because the payoff is massive character derailment for Jake and Cassie.

NateSean

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
Although if you really want to get technical about the "classics" it'd be the first 7 books before the titles changed from the flat colored font to the metallic.

This.

I have those books. I had started reading the series about the time book six was coming out.