Author Topic: A dog  (Read 6582 times)

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
Re: A dog
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »
The Redshirt syndrome ;)
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »
Oh. My. Golly.

Tyler is suicidal! He's RED!!! AAAAHHH!! :o :o :o

NOOOOoooooooooooooo oooooo!!!!!!!!!
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
...is this about the red shirt again? I still don't get it.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:53:42 PM »
Yes. Here is the simplest explanation:

Red shirt + leaving the ship = instant death.

Period.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »
ok...so as long as tyler does not leave RAF, he's fine?

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
Exactly.

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »
Aeh, he's just a revolutionary now. Nothing to be afraid of :)
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 12:00:48 AM »
isn't that good news then? you don't have to worry about him not being online when you are, cuz he'll always be online.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 12:05:41 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :happy30: :hyper: :hyper: :sign0200: :wiggle: :woot2:

Also,  :yawn: because I must sleep, now. G'night!

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
Considering all the animals he killed in Pet Sematery, I don't know why ANYONE would be mad at S.K. for killing ONE dog.

As minor characters go, I almost find it funny when they die, because it is so easily predicted.

I've read a lot of Stephen King and I don't remember "the dog" that died. Whenever there's an animal death that's on-screen or in a book I look away or skip over the paragraph.

The point that the OP was making was that SK killed a dog for the hell of it. The animals that died in Pet Sematary died because it was necessary for the plot - I imagine that in this other book it wasn't the case.

Stephen King is brilliant but he is a bit of a weirdo. Was that one particular scene in IT really necessary? I wasn't offended by it, but he had other options. Or maybe he didn't? Who knows.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
Look, it's an interesting question...
I think, the more the character unfolds to us, the more we connect with them, the deeper we feel for whatever outcome they get through whatever ordeal they go through.
It also depends on the person...

I, personally, classify myself a dog person, my earliest memories have dogs in it. So, imagine, as I got my ticket to watch 'I am Legend' the other month, thinking "Haha, Will Smith in a stupid tryhard zombie movie, haha." Let's just say that I sure am glad mine wasnt the only cries I heard at the cinemas at what was in store for 'Sam'.
There I was, an adult man, bowling my eyes out at the movies. My friends laughing at me! Heheheh! Funny now that I think about. A Will Smith movie having that sort of impact on me!

And not to go back to the whole 'Animorphs-ending' argument but I think Daphnes summed it up pretty well. I too think the last few books lacked the 'magic' we all took the Animorphs for in the first half of the series. I am not sure if it was all just the Ghostwriters' fault. It was still KA's work. And she chose to end it the way she did.
If a book series can make a reader feel whatever it is that we each individually felt by a character like Rachel dying, it should be commended, for it's done what few series can do.