Author Topic: A dog  (Read 6583 times)

Offline CounterInstinct

A dog
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:19:57 AM »
I vaguely remember a book (I think it was written by Stephen King...) where he killed a dog. A simple dog. Not part of the plot whatsoever. Yet, when he "killed" the dog, he got a lot of hate mail.

I kinda remember Rachel-death then the hate mail.... what is it with dying characters anyway?
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: A dog
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »
hmm...let me think for a minute...maybe 5 minutes...maybe 10 years (hehe)...nope I don't really know, but I guess I'd do it too, except I didn't realize you could send mail to the authors before, and by the time I did know, I had grown...I guess neutral to characters dying...it's hard to explain...

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:15:46 AM »
When you get really into a story, you connect with the characters and therefore pity them when they get killed off. That's how I can tell when I'm really into a series.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
Stephen King writes adult horror movies and junk, right? I wouldn't care if a random dog died in some book, just like I don't care that much that the auxilary animorphs all died. I think it was wasted potential, but beyond that I don't really care.

Rachel isn't even one of my favorite Animorphs, but I felt for her enough that I hated that she died. Of course, Rachel dying is just part of what made the ending really bad.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:37:15 AM »
I hated her dying too, but that doesn't mean the ending was bad itself. The writing was good, but it made me feel bad. There is the difference. Doesn't the fact that it makes you feel sad and remorseful make it a good piece of letterchure?  ;D
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:39:06 AM »
isn't it spelled literature?

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 02:14:51 AM »
I know, that supposed to be a joke LOL...  :D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 06:33:01 AM »
I hated her dying too, but that doesn't mean the ending was bad itself. The writing was good, but it made me feel bad. There is the difference. Doesn't the fact that it makes you feel sad and remorseful make it a good piece of letterchure?  ;D
It just didn't have the magic that the earlier books did. Late in the series, the magic that drew me in started dying. I wasn't in love with the series as much as I was at first. Then the last book came out, and there were so many things that I thought should have been done differently.

She tried protraying Rachel as a two dimensional character in the books she narrated, but eventually treated her as a one dimensional character by acting like she wouldn't be able to lead any kind of decent life after the war. She just can't have all six characters live through so much, then cheaply kill off one and expect me to swallow that.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 06:46:22 AM »
um...actually it's not can't expect. She can do that. What you're trying to say is she shouldn't expect. Although, I think she should expect that, although that's just me...

and how did this thread suddenly become another thread to talk about the ending?

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
sorry for the OT, but, I see your point Daphnes... except for one thing, I don't think that is the reason Rachel was killed of by K.A...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »
The topic is about people getting upset over characters dying. Or even anything dying, since it's said the dog wasn't even important to the plot.

I heard that R. L. Stine, the author of Goosebumps, wrote a book where someone died in it. The fans went ballistic, and he never did that again. I don't remember where I heard or read that.

And sorry for rehashing the ending too much. I've been stuck on that ever since it happened. If I haven't gotten over it by now, I suspect I never will.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »
here's my opinion:
I think it's good that you care about a series/book that much. However, I don't think you should bother the author with things you don't like. You don't like it, don't read it. Don't complain (yes I see it as complaining even if you don't) about it. Like me, I don't like seeing gore and blood and stuff. But do I go to the producer or writer or director (or whoever is in charge) about it? no. I just stop watching it.

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
I remember when the 7th HP book came out they were talking on the morning news shows about how to help the trauma your kids would surely get when it hit them that there'd be no more HP. If their going to suffer trauma from this, they got bigger problems than that! ;D
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 05:13:24 PM »
I remember when the 7th HP book came out they were talking on the morning news shows about how to help the trauma your kids would surely get when it hit them that there'd be no more HP. If their going to suffer trauma from this, they got bigger problems than that! ;D
That's nothing to scoff at. It took me a good year of therapy and psychiatric treatment to get through the worst parts of not having new Animorph books.

Yeah...right. ^-^

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
Considering all the animals he killed in Pet Sematery, I don't know why ANYONE would be mad at S.K. for killing ONE dog.

As minor characters go, I almost find it funny when they die, because it is so easily predicted.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time