Author Topic: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!  (Read 13794 times)

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
Re: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »
Deep :(
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »
Oh man, you know, Visser Three's trial did kind of remind me of the Nazi trials...except for the purple box o.O  Pretty sure the Nazis weren't put into purple boxes. 

I love La Vita e` Bella but I can't watch it all the time, it's makes me cry  :'(  Like Schindler's List, another good one...

I've never seen Furyo, I wonder if I can find these movies somewhere, maybe a really good video rental store.  Or Netflix? 

Dameg did I tell you that I went to Japan in June?  (As the topic strays farther and farther from the pedantics of Yeerkish morality...x3)

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
lol It's true, the subject of the topic is changing.
I watched Schindler's List few months ago, it's a very good movie!
And La Vita e Bella also makes me cry... ^_^'
Sorry, I forgot the English name of Furyo. Furyo is the stupid French title, I really don't know why they give it this title >_< In English it's Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. So I think now you remember you saw it ^_^
How was your trip? I still hope I could be in Japan in October... ^_^
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
Aw, I still haven't seen it...I like stories about rebels and anti-heroes though, and a lot of it really happened...I'll have to check them out sometime ^^

Japan was awesome, we went to Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Fukui...to the town of Obama which naturally loves Barack Obama, haha...I even got to learn some Japanese...like "hey...hey, listen...everything is a conspiracy" x3 and the other usual, actually useful phrases  ::)  I hope you get to go! 

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
lol very usual ^_^'
I also like anti-heroes stories... But you really never saw Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence!! Oh, this movie is so cool!! You SHOULD watch it!
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2008, 09:53:03 PM »
OH, I remember hearing about this now, it has a really young David Bowie in it! XD  Even more of a reason to see it!  ;D

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
Yeah ^_^There is David Bowie in ;)
Another very good French movie, but it's about WW1:
Un Long Dimanche de fiancailles (movie from a book, movie made by the director of Amelie (Poulain))
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2008, 01:11:20 PM »
Ooo, cool, kind of like All Quiet on the Western Front, about young German soldiers in WWI...

I'm reading on Wikipedia about the pun Manech aime Mathilde, MMM xD In English they made it pretty silly, "Manech's Marrying Mathilde", because "loves" doesn't sound like the letter "M"...XD

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2008, 01:50:32 PM »
lol they changed into "Married"? ^_^' I prefer "aiMe" ;)
But this movie is really beautiful.
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Kharina

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
I just hate the way Yorick is branding all Yeerks as evil. It's just so wrong. You don't give them a fair chance to prove themselves. Not because one of them is evil, doesn't mean everybody is.

Now I suppose you all brand Taxxons as meat-hungry, Andalites as all-righteous, and humans always right.

But Taxxons are meat-hungry. It's part of their genetic makeup, you can't take that out of a Taxxon because that's how they evolved.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be considerably more "evil" Yeerks than good Yeerks. (100 members of the Yeerk Peace Movement out of how many hundreds of thouands of Yeerks?)

To use a Harry Potter quote: "The world is not divided into good people and Death Eaters."  I don't imagine, either, that the Yeerk world is divided into peace movement and Yeerks exactly like Visser Three, and just like the human world isn't divided into, say, Ghandi and Hitler.  There's a scale.  A few Yeerks will be genuinely evil, and a few will be peace movement Yeerks.  If you consider what the PM Yeerks are giving up and risking, you can see these are the really, really good Yeerks.  I imagine most Yeerks aren't deliberately cruel to their hosts or other Yeerks, but are too afraid to go against the Empire or don't actually see anything wrong with taking involuntary hosts (which isn't so hard to believe considering they've been raised on Empire propaganda).  Even Visser Three, in the HBC, doesn't seem too bad, and it takes Aftran a long time and a lot of convincing to realise taking involuntary hosts is wrong and to be prepared to do something about it.  Also, consider that many Yeerks may hypothetically be very prepared to join the peace movement, but haven't had the opportunity: the peace movement will have to be very careful about who it invites to join, they can't exactly put up posters and hand out flyers!  Consequently, recruitment of new members will be slow.  Also, there may be more than one rebel group.  "The Peace Movement" is simply the one the Anis know about and have contact with.

Offline Myitt

• Gold Donor
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
Exactly, the picture is skewed...most of the Yeerks we met in the series appeared power hungry or ruthless, but they can't all be that way.  Even those that were, like Eslin who wanted to kill Visser Three (there's rebellion right there) was doing so because he lost someone he cared for.  There was that Yeerk scientist who was working on removing free will from humans, and he knew it was wrong and furthermore impossible, but he knew he would be killed if he failed or even refused.  He asked the Animorphs if he could come with them, I believe...now that would've made an interesting storyline, whether he was made a nothlit later on or simply forced to starve...but the Animorphs just said no.  Aw, well  ::)

Offline Kharina

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
Exactly, the picture is skewed...most of the Yeerks we met in the series appeared power hungry or ruthless, but they can't all be that way.  Even those that were, like Eslin who wanted to kill Visser Three (there's rebellion right there) was doing so because he lost someone he cared for.  There was that Yeerk scientist who was working on removing free will from humans, and he knew it was wrong and furthermore impossible, but he knew he would be killed if he failed or even refused.  He asked the Animorphs if he could come with them, I believe...now that would've made an interesting storyline, whether he was made a nothlit later on or simply forced to starve...but the Animorphs just said no.  Aw, well  ::)

I can't picture the Ani's forcing him to starve, not at that point if he'd come with them and trusted them.  However, I'm not sure if the nothlit thing would have occured to them either, and it is one thing to entrust Aftran with the morphing technology when she's proven herself, but that Yeerk?  I imagine they may have given him a quick death, or perhaps passed him over to the Chee, who can generate Kandrona, as we see in number 10 with Erek.  Either would probably be preferable to what V3 might do to him.

As Ax was narrating that book, it would also have been hilarious to see his reaction to having a Yeerk come with them!!

But yeah, we only see a handful of Yeerks in the series, and very few of those in any detail.  I imagine Yeerks are as varied and complex as humans.  To decide all humans were evil based on the actions of, say, Saddam Hussein and Hitler, would be erroneous, and IMO it's the same with Yeerks.