Author Topic: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!  (Read 13819 times)

Offline Yorick Brown

Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« on: July 13, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
You people do know that you're backing a race of creatures out to make you a prisoner of your own bodies. Right? 

So what's with all this 'they just want to  have some good bodies' to live peacefully in crap?

I can't believe that in the final book, Jake was on trial AT ALL for killing Yeerks and Visser Three of all people was being defended BY humans.

I felt like cheering rather than crying when Jake killed all those Yeerks on the Pool Ship. And when they destroyed the Kandrona too. Call me blood thirsty but the arrogance and mercilessness displayed by Yeerks like the Yeerk in Jake's head, the Vissers, Tom's Yeerk was just too much for me to gather up much sympathy.

Don't wanna die? Don't invade my planet!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:01:58 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
Re: Why is everyone so sympathetic to the Yeerks?!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »
What about the Yeerks in the Peace Movement, who weren't on Earth by choice, and who only took voluntary hosts, or even no hosts at all? Some of them were in the pool that Jake flushed, you know.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:32:44 PM »
Tough luck. Like I'd care about what happens to a bunch of slugs
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:34:14 PM »
So you don't care about a peacefull sentient creature that got killed because it's brothers did something wrong?
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
ok...I'm gonna be honest. the reason I'm sympathetic, I'm not sure. I just am. I pity the yeerks (well except for those power hungry ones like visser three), and I have no idea why.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 08:06:11 PM »
Taking a host is not wrong. Taking an involuntary host is wrong.

They can't help how they evolved, and shouldn't be looked down on as vermin because of it. I'm sure there were Yeerks on the planet that were brought there against their will to fight the war. Maybe even Yeerks who were born on the planet that grew up and discovered they were born during war times.

Yeerks are not inherrently evil.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Leonardodavinci

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
Call this philosophical, but no sentient being is inherantly evil. Seeing as how Yeerks CAN make decisions, they ARE sentient, and (as seen MANY times in Human History), sentient beings can go against human nature to make change.

Also, I love how people keep saying "evolved" .....

Weren't the Ellimist and Crayak concerned with the development of Yeerks? Call me crazy, but could they be considered "godly" figures?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:45:21 PM by Leonardodavinci »

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »
Well first off, Jake wasn't on trial, that was a weak attempt by V3 layers to slam his credibility as a hero who defeated a monster.

Also, basically what everyone has said. You can say all Yeerks are evil and all Yeerks want to enslave the universe. It's like saying all Germans in 1940 were Nazi's and wanted to rule the world, it's simply not so.
What's more is the value of life. As everyone's favorite multi-eyed seven legged crab people have said  "to be killed is a sadness, to kill is a sin" Even taking your enemies life is not something you should celebrate, even it is called for.

Me personally, I don't pity the Yeerks, but I understand empathy, and if their situation was mine i think that would royally suck.

Also, I love how people keep saying "evolved" .....

Weren't the Ellimist and Crayak concerned with the development of Yeerks? Call me crazy, but could they be considered "godly" figures?

I doubt it. That's the game Toomin played, I'm guessing by the time they where playing the whole galaxy altering creatures in that matter would be against the rules; but who knows?
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »
Tough luck. Like I'd care about what happens to a bunch of slugs

Funny, it's the more "evil" Yeerks who thought exactly the same thing about humans.  They were just puppets to them, shells not even worth listening to. 

I tend to sympathize with people who are labeled bad guys but really aren't that bad, not on the whole.  I don't like to judge an entire people just because of a few bad examples, or a corrupt government.  Besides, most Yeerks were basically forced into the war (those who didn't rebel against the Andalites) and those who did disagree with the Yeerk Empire faced an awful death if they tried to oppose it.  It's actually really refreshing to me that a series made the "good guys" not all good (traitor Andalites) and the "bad guys" not all bad (helpful Yeerks).

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »
Just a few bad examples? It sounds like the Yeerk Peace Movement was just a minority. Most controllers were murderous thugs. I highly doubt that it was only a few Yeerks taking the others 'against their will' that decided to take over the world.

And what's this 'against their will' crap anyway. They're sentient beings and thus have a choice to partake in this quest to conquer suitable races like the humans. They couldn't have fought back if so many were against it?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:47:50 PM by Yorick »
Who's doing this?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
Any Yeerk that tries to leave Visser Three will starve from not having access to the pool any longer. They basically have to obey or die.

We know this is so because when Cassie lets the escafil device fall into Yeerk hands, a lot of them choose to become nothlits to escape the war. This proves that some of them don't really want to rule the galaxy. They just want to live peaceful lives.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:54:26 AM by Daphnes »

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
Just a few bad examples? It sounds like the Yeerk Peace Movement was just a minority. Most controllers were murderous thugs. I highly doubt that it was only a few Yeerks taking the others 'against their will' that decided to take over the world.

I like to think that an equal comparsion can be found in Nazi Germany, like RYTX said.  The Nazis had a corrupt, murderous system of government that condemned resistance, so of course the image of the Nazis today is that they were all evil, right?  Well there were even members of the Nazi party who tried to assassinate Hitler, and there were certainly members of the general German public, even if it was a minority, who thought what their government was doing was wrong.  Some Germans tried to help save Jews and other people threatened by the Holocaust.  They're still human, and they're capable of disagreeing with something that they grew up believing was right.

Like I mentioned before, the Yeerks and all the other major alien species in the series were very multidimensional; not all Yeerks were murderous thugs.  Maybe not even most.  In fact the Yeerks were peaceful on their home planet for most of their evolution, until the Council of Thirteen decided to blow that pop stand and start taking over other sentient beings.  It seems like lots of Yeerks wanted to become nothlits to escape the war, or help humans fight against the Empire (that Yeerk who was helping break people out of cages in #53), or fight against the Empire themselves (the Peace Movement).  It's my personal opinion, because the Yeerks were portrayed as alien but with all the drawbacks that any human might have, that it isn't fair to characterize them all as evil just because they grew up surrounded by propaganda that told them it was their right to enslave other people.  That so many Yeerks fell in for that (and why wouldn't they, they're doing what they're born to do) makes them very human and very sympathetic in a sort of tragic way.  The fact that Yeerks still decided to go against everything they grew up believing and put their lives in danger to help members of an alien race makes me think that some of them are willing to do whatever it takes to stop the war, and make some peace with the moral dilemma of taking other people's lives and bodies.

*deep breath* XD; As for the against their will part, of course Yeerks have a choice not to take someone over, it's just that if they're told to do it and refuse they face death or suspicion as a host sympathizer (which is a death sentence, anyway), and if they aren't told to take a host they're forced to live their lives blind and helpless.  What would you do in that situation?  It's as if it would've been better if the Yeerks had never known what they were missing.  Ignorance is bliss, right?  The fact remains that most Yeerks weren't involved in the rebellion against the Andalites, most of them were just whisked away from their homeworld, probably without even knowing about the resistance or maybe without knowing about the Andalites at all.  Then these thousands of Yeerks were given military orders, from their leaders, to become a part of an invasion force on other worlds.  Sure, some of them probably loved the ego trip and the power.  I just find it hard to believe, given the evidence over and over again of some Yeerks simply wanting peace, that so many of them were anything other than brainwashed into believing they were right to take over other worlds.

We can agree to disagree, right?  ;D

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 05:41:04 PM »
Think about it this way. You're completely blind. You're basically deaf. You spend your days swimming around. Then, you get a chance to see the world for the first time. You can hear and see, touch and feel. Something you never imagined possible. Now, imagine if someone tried to take it away from you. Would you be very happy?

Here's thing. The majority of the Yeerks are pretty bad. Not the friendliest little slugs. But there are good Yeerks.  Do you honestly think that all of them spent every moment of every day torturing their hosts for sadistic pleasure? I don't think so. And think about it this way, too. How would you like to spend years with someone who screams and tells you that you're the most disgusting thing on the face of the Earth every ten seconds? If all of the Yeerks are evil, then 50% of humans are evil too. You can't say humans are perfect and innocent. We've done some pretty bad things too.

Another thing to think about... Let's say you're in a room with thirty people, most of which are cruel, violent, and sick-minded. Would it be fair for someone to barge into the room and tell you all that you're terrible people, and that each and every one of you deserve to die a painful death?

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of going in circles and repeating myself a little. But my point is, not all of the Yeerks are evil. Only some of them. Do I pity them? Yeah, kind of. Do I pity Visser Three? Hell no!
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »
The Yeerks aren't inherently evil, but I don't think Jake was wrong in flushing the pool. War is war.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:56:01 PM »
Another thing to think about... Let's say you're in a room with thirty people, most of which are cruel, violent, and sick-minded. Would it be fair for someone to barge into the room and tell you all that you're terrible people, and that each and every one of you deserve to die a painful death?

tell me about it. my first year in china, I went to a private school, and all the kids were monsters (I sound like their mother, don't I?), and the teacher punished everyone, even though I, and probably a few others, didn't do anything. we got punished just because we were in that group...

yeah and war is bad.