Author Topic: 7th Animorph blend of originals  (Read 2097 times)

purp

7th Animorph blend of originals
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:38 PM »
Last time I posted the stats for my character (on another site) I was told she was a blend of the original 5

I found this a bit offensive, as she's based on my sister, but it gave me an idea.
My character:

English, moved to US a year before with mum. ( makes it easier for me as i'm not American)
Shy unless knows someone well
Temper-When threatened or insecure-fizzes out
Likes graphic novels, games, films.
Polite
Intelligent
Not a tomboy, wears dark colours and rarely dresses.
Does the right thing because she "Has to" not cos she wants to.

What if she was chosen by the elimist because she's a "blend" to fit in better and perhaps because SPOILER

She can die and not one of them. For the time being

Anyone have any advice for this idea?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:36:46 PM by purp »

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: 7th Animorpg blend of originals
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
Farbeit for me to make a facetious reply, but...

...?
 :huh:
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
Re: 7th Animorph blend of originals
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:45:38 PM »
So are you planning on writing fanfic with her or RP?

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »
Why did you reply when you were just rude, no advice or anything

Reported for spam

Dear one, this is not how we make friends on this forum.

You want advice?
Here is my advice to you:

1. Please adjust your attitude at least a little bit. You are new here, which means accusing a veteran member of spamming you holds a fair bit less clout than if the situation were reversed. Believe it or not, we are NICE to newbies at this forum. Bringing your sense of entitlement to this place is discouraged.

2. Make a proper introductory post in the board for introductions. Be welcomed, and let people actually get to know you, so we have a clue what you mean when you post something as totally out-of-context as the first post of this thread.

3. Don't read things as insults when they are kindly meant. A question mark openly implies that there is something in question, in this case the purpose of your thread. Is this to be an RPG? A fan-fiction? Do you want commentary on an idea about the series (in which case you're using the wrong subforum...)?
Clarifying these things is GOOD.

All that being said, welcome to RAF, and I hope you have a fantastically pleasant time here. :)
I'm Este, and it's good to meet you.

Regarding your character, she could use more fleshing-out. What are her flaws? What specific things upset her? From which part of the UK does she hail? What about familial, racial, and religious background? How did she come to be where the Animorphs are? What is her relationship with each other member of the team? How did she get to a position of being a member of the team?

Tell us more.

THAT is what "...?" means.
It means tell us more, please.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:15:37 PM »
This is getting better, but if you don't mind that I say it, I think the move to the States could use a deeper explanation. If she came here from another country, that is a SERIOUS personality/origin detail. Simply 'starting a new life' just isn't enough.

What did she and her mother NOT have in the UK? Why was the US their choice?
In my experiences, UK residents have a fairly low opinion of the US or at the very least tend to prefer their home countries, so the motivation to come here needs to be strong, valid, and honest enough to be believed.

:)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
Well, I hope some good ideas strike you. :)

If you can flesh out the how and why of things, the "what" and "who" details tend to fill themselves in much more smoothly.

I hope it all goes well for you.

NateSean

Fanfic character
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Flaws:
Temper. Lots of swearing, shouting, stammering nonsense, crying when angry.
Insecurities:Eveyone probably thinks they're better than me. Everything I do is wrong. I'm not pretty enough/strong enough
Swearing.
Assuming the worst/pesimistic

If you're trying to assess reactions to this character's personality, you may wish to write up a short scenario and have her interact in it. Generally, when I'm reading a story or watching a show, I like to see the character's traits surface one by one or as a whole. This is what keeps me from getting bored as I continue to watch because a good writer knows how to use subtlty to slowly paint the picture of this person's inner being.

That said, here are my initial reactions to the post as a whole.

Flaws:
Temper. Lots of swearing, shouting, stammering nonsense, crying when angry.
Insecurities:Eveyone probably thinks they're better than me. Everything I do is wrong. I'm not pretty enough/strong enough
Swearing.
Assuming the worst/pesimistic

So, this is a potential seventh Animorph. First off, the flaws are actually very optimistic to me as it means this is going to make for some very interesting character development. I can all ready see the problems this character will have with the Animorphs.

For one thing, Jake may be the leader, but Rachel is the Queen Bee. And Queen bees don't like competition, which is what this girl screams of.

You've listed "swearing" twice as a flaw. As you're British, I can only assume that the words you're thinking of wouldn't be readily considered cussing by Americans. (IE, I got away with saying "bloody" a lot since most teachers didn't register it as me cussing) Because I don't see what we Americans refer to as the "F-bomb" being terribly appropriate in this forum. And if you're only implying that she cusses every five seconds, that's going to get tedious and boring to read very quickly.

The stammering and babbling you mention is very interesting. Mostly because I have to ask myself, how is this girl going to get a hold of the morphing power in the first place and how useful is she going to be? Will the mere sight of Visser Three's troops cause her to lose composure?

Remember, David was a pretty smart kid. Even he lost it and by comparrison to his girl, he was at least partially stable which is how he fooled the other Animorphs. Is she going to get to the "Don't hurt me, I'll morph out" stage or are the better, wiser Animorphs going to see all of the signs and tell her to sod off?

As for a move to the States.

There are quite a few British people living in or around the Boston, Mass area. In my hometown of Bennington, Vermont we had a British librarian for a few years and there was a teacher in my school who taught computer programming. (He was an idiot, after I dropped his class he tried to get me in trouble for "skipping", even though I was no longer attending his course. But that's neither here nor there.)

So whatever the overall reason is or the general feeling about the US, there are plenty of legitimate reasons for your character and her family to move to the States. Employment being the major one.

These are just some things to think about as you're writing the story.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:40:09 PM by NateSean »

NateSean

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
I really think you should explore that question yourself since you're the one writing it.

I have my own stories to focus on. Namely involving my feelings about the Chee and the complexity of their decisions up to the events of book 10.