Author Topic: Why doesn't Cassie have own battle morph?  (Read 5618 times)

Offline gocorygogo

Why doesn't Cassie have own battle morph?
« on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
I was with my friends the other discussing morphs and which characters use which morphs. And we got on the subject of Cassie and her wolf morph...All of the animorphs have wolves in their repertoire (except maybe Tobias, I'm not sure). And they each have their own specialized battle morph that the others do not own; Jake has tiger, Marco has gorilla, Rachel has two, her grizzly & her elephant. so why doesn't Cassie have her own morph? she could have acquired a leopard, lion or a hyena, but yet she sticks with the group wolf morph. My personal opinion is Cassie doesn't like to stand out, she likes to stay amongst the crowd and deny that she is special, even when book after book she demonstrates exempt morphing skills. She always says she doesn't think she's anything special (although Jake would disagree ;) ). She is always commenting on how pretty Rachel is, She mentions that Marco is kinda cute (but not her type). It could be subconscious and pacifist nature showing through. Cassie could feel intimidated around all these-to her anyways-beutiful people. Could be a defense mechanism to be as unnoticeable and inconspicuous as possible... Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Would do you think?

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Why doesn't Cassie have own battle morph?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
I'm not sure. The wolf gets some flak from people, but it's really not that bad a choice when you have Jake and rachel filling the roles of brute force. It's true that everyone has a battle morph, but before book 3 she didn't really have anything besides a horse. It was the best thing she had, and she didn't go out and find anything else.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
I think Cassie is modest but confident. She is comfortable with who she is; it's why she resists shopping trips at the mall, and it's why she continually stands up for her beliefs, even when they are highly unpopular.

I agree with Chad: wolf is hardly a bad battle morph choice. It has several strengths that the others' morphs do not.
  • It has great stamina. Where as Jake is always complaining about tiring out, Cassie's wolf morph takes significantly longer to wear out.
  • It is subtle; from a distance, it might be a German shepherd, and it is small enough that it can slip by unnoticed far easier than a gorilla, elephant, tiger, or Andalite.
  • It is quick and has great hearing and vision, which is something only a tiger and hawk (and arguable an Andalite) have; Cassie can see what is coming and react to it far more quickly than Marco or Rachel.

In my opinion, Cassie's battle morph is somewhat similar to Tobias's in a lot of ways (it is built for stealth, speed, and observation, as well as attacking), but it's much more versatile, as it is land-based.

I think it's fair for us to read into her subconscious by examining her choice, but I think the morph is a logical one that complements the team well, and that coupled with a refutation of the presentation of Cassie as an intimidated and insecure figure suggests to me that she chose the morph for positive reasons.
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline gocorygogo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I believe that's partially why there is so much Cassie hate out there, she has no unique morphs(until the later books i suppose). I know it makes sense to stick with what works, but it just seems like the easy way out. She remarked in #4 that using creatures' bodies to use for your own needs is similar to what the yeerks do...Perhaps that's why she's reluctant to obtain new morphs for fighting. I can't help but feel there is subtext there.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
Dude, let's not get into the "morphing things is like Yeerk infestation" topic. That's one of the worst things about Cassie in my opinion.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Gocorygogo, I see what you're saying about her avoiding acquiring more morphs than is necessary, but I don't know if this explanation necessarily stands.

First, she uses morphs for personal pleasure just as much as everyone else; Jake's the one who hounds the group the most on this point, but he gives in too. They're all pretty much equally hypocritical on this account.

Second, the wolf morph seems an odd choice for someone of Cassie's pacific values, considering it has a very nitty-gritty and personal style of attack.

I think she used the morph because it made tactical sense, not because she had an aversion to acquiring one more animal for the purpose of fighting the Yeerks. If she had wanted something less personal in the way it killed (even Rachel's elephant is less personal -- it's less gruesome to stomp someone when you can't see a darn thing than to launch your entire body at them and bite open their neck like Cassie had to do), I don't think she would've had qualms about acquiring it.

I'm not trying to say we can't read into Cassie's psyche by examining her battle morph, but there's a simple explanation of it being a good complement to the team that makes more sense to me than "she's worried about acquiring more animals" or "she's insecure around her friends."
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
Dude, let's not get into the "morphing things is like Yeerk infestation" topic. That's one of the worst things about Cassie in my opinion.

Yeah. Of "reasons for Cassie falling as my favorite character post-childhood" her lack of personal morph specialties has never occurred to me, but that argument didn't help.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)

Offline gocorygogo

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
natch.

I know it's simple and useful for Cassie to use the wolf. I think my main problem with it is variety: From a simply reader's point of view, I crave uniqueness and something fresh. And I suppose I'm stating a moot point considering  that she is a fictitious character and that her neuroticism is all a concoction of the author of the book. but then again she's a fictitious character in my favorite books, so maybe that's why I'm so into this topic...

Offline KitsuneMarie

• On the move
  • Gold Donor
  • Fantastic Ms Fox
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 04:33:01 PM »
Fair enough :D

Yeah, I think it's a very interesting question. It's just that none of the subconscious examinations of Cassie submitted so far ring true to me, personally. But I definitely think you're on to something by giving it more value than the "it's simple and useful" explanation I've been giving.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:19:49 AM by KitsuneMarie »
Aluminator's RAFsister

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:31:37 PM »
if you notice, all the animorphs have morphs they like and dislike, maybe cassie just took a shining to the wolf morph?  marco has used it for battle on occasion as well.  cassie doesnt particularly like fighting, so i cant really see her going out of her way to get a better battle morph.  she had one that worked, so she didnt get a new one when the other animorphs did.

Offline gocorygogo

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »
All true. As I said previously; I'm probably reading too much into it. But I do like to analyze things, so maybe that's it. So how about this:If you had to decide for Cassie to have a different battle morph other than the wolf (although still have access to it for other things), What animal would you pick and why? I've thought about this before and I rather like the speed and cunning of the wolf so maybe another canine perhaps?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »
Something that can just knock enemies out instead of killing them. The main problem I have with Cassie using the wolf is that her only method of attack is ripping someone's throat out. I think a Gorilla would be good, but marco took that. Although I think a wolf might suit Marco pretty well. He's a strategic thinker, and as a wolf he has multiple powerful senses and can be all over the place in a battle. Plus ripping throats out wouldn't go against a ruthless nature.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:44 AM »
technical point; Rachel's elephant isn't unique: Tobias, Ax, and Cassie all pick it up in # 22

And that's my Ani-nerd OCD moment for the day
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline gocorygogo

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Oh, that's a good idea with the tough animals...Perhaps a rhino or a buffalo(although the buffalo thing didn't work out so well with Cassie last time...On second thought...)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
It was unique for 22 books, and the others rarely if ever use those morphs again.

Ani-Master 2014!