Author Topic: Top 10 Favorite Books  (Read 3442 times)

Offline JohnBlaze

• I'm telling you, Rachel's alive, I saved her
Top 10 Favorite Books
« on: July 05, 2010, 06:15:03 AM »
**SPOILER WARNINGS**
Idk if this was done already, but umm....i'm gonna try to name mine in order though it may change while currently re-reading them

1. #22 The Solution: Rachel show's why she's the s***.

2. #49 The Diversion: This is when things start to get real with the Animorphs: the truth is out, Jake's whole family are Controllers, Tobias saves the day...etc.

3. The Ellimist Chronicles: Pretty much sums the whole thing up...I read it after the final book in the series, and I found it better that way.

4. #33 The Illusion: Deep into the mind of Tobias, great book

5. #1 The Invasion: Obviously....

6. #20 The Discovery: Beginning of David trilogy...plus Marco's commentary is hilarious through most of the book

7. #26 The Attack: I thought it was great altogether, Erek, Howlers, Crayak......

8. #13 The Change: Great cover quote (Be Afraid....) and the whole concept was good.

9. #50 The Ultimate: Cassie shows why she's most of the reason for the Animorphs victory in the end...

10. #32 The Seperation: I found it amusing, plus we get both sides of Rachel in one book....great

Honorable Mention *** #47 The Resistance: I liked the whole thing with Jake's relative who was in the Civil War rolling in with the main storyline, but at points I just skipped the Civil War narrative cus I didn't care anymore.

Other Honorable mentions: #37 The Weakness, #10 The Android, #45 The Revelation, #19 The Departure, #53 The Answer, #44 The Unexpected

WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 10 FAVE ANIMORPH BOOKS AND WHY?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:19:54 AM by JohnBlaze »
If I was an Animorph, we would've won in two weeks...just sayin'

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Top 10 Favorite Books
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:05:48 AM »
It's hard for me to make a favorites list. Most of my favorites are in the early books. Probably 26 and back. 26 was a really good book, but then you get into the filler arc, and then the final arc where things really go south, and several things happen that I just don't like.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Elfangor Sirinial Shamtul

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
1: The Invasion, without it, there would not be any animorphs!
2: The Pretender, I finally know who Tobias's true father is.
3: The Illusion, Rachel and Tobias finally kiss, and we see a little bit more of Tobias's past.
4: The Departure, because Cassie sees both the yeerks opinion and the human opinion.
5: The Andalites Gift, it sums a few beginning things up.
6: The Capture, because Jake realizes Tom didn't want to be a controller to begin with.
7: The Ultimate, because it makes up a large portion of sense.
8: In the time of the dinosaurs, because they find out how the dinosaurs died
9: The Solution, because David finally disappears.
10: The Expirement, because they all morph cows!
There are many dangers for an Andalite in human morph. For one thing, there is the constant danger that you will fall off your two legs. The slightest push and you can topple over. But worst by far, is the danger of taste. Taste is the sense that can drive an Andalite mad! Especially is it involves cinnimon buns or chocolate.
From the earth diary of Aximili Esgarrouth Itsthil

Offline JohnBlaze

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »

10: The Expirement, because they all morph cows!

LOL, to be honest, Ax did have some of the funniest moments, but when he wasn't with Marco or Tobias, his narratives were somewhat "blah" at times

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
Mine would be:

1. The Andalite Chronicles – I love how it brings in so many things that we see later throughout the regular series.
2. The Solution – The David trilogy was by far my favorite and this book had so many great quotes I thought.
3. The Attack – Liked the idea behind this book and the Howlers were interesting.
4. The Threat – David book where he really starts to get nasty.
5. The Invasion – Obvious reasons.

And then in no real order...

6. The Discovery – Like how the blue box gets brought back into the story, plus more David.
7. MM4 Back to Before – Cool and interesting idea. Plus the artwork for this book was amazing.
8. The Answer – Loved that Jake was the one with the final book and we got to see the change in him since The Invasion.
9. The Android – The Chee and Erek.
10. MM2 In the Time of Dinosaurs – Dinosaurs haha.
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Alic

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:07:30 AM »
i'm rereading the series.. just finished 15.... so i'll have to figure it out later..
all time fave is HBC

Offline JohnBlaze

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:37 AM »
Mine would be:

1. The Andalite Chronicles – I love how it brings in so many things that we see later throughout the regular series.
2. The Solution – The David trilogy was by far my favorite and this book had so many great quotes I thought.
3. The Attack – Liked the idea behind this book and the Howlers were interesting.
4. The Threat – David book where he really starts to get nasty.
5. The Invasion – Obvious reasons.

And then in no real order...

6. The Discovery – Like how the blue box gets brought back into the story, plus more David.
7. MM4 Back to Before – Cool and interesting idea. Plus the artwork for this book was amazing.
8. The Answer – Loved that Jake was the one with the final book and we got to see the change in him since The Invasion.
9. The Android – The Chee and Erek.
10. MM2 In the Time of Dinosaurs – Dinosaurs haha.

Nice selection....I think they should have had a Chee or Pemalite's Chronicles.....and I would've liked a David narrative

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »
Hmm, some good ones here so far (though a couple were very much not to my taste), I'm going to have to think to really put together my top 10. By the way, looking over these books really reminds me of just how vague and unhelpful some of the titles are at reminding you what which book is which. I mean, a few make you go "Oh, it was the one where such and such happened," others make you go "Which one was that *read summary* oh, yeah, I guess that name makes sense" but some of them you can read the entire book then go "Um... did they just pick a random noun?"
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:08:07 AM »
^
Yeah, like how my favorite Animorphs book was  "The Cowrider" or "The CinnamonMonster".
 ;D

I can't decide ten. But I'm pretty sure my favorite is "The Attack". This was around the time Animorphs was ghostwritten already, and for a ghostwritten book, it sounded a lot like K.A.
The rest of the ghostwritten books had boring narratives. So unlike the first 20 books or so. :(
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
Please note, my 10 aren't in any particular order of favorites or number. My favorites I all like the same amount! So it's just as I think of them.

1. The Capture
2. The Illusion
3. The Hork-Bajir Chronicles
4. The Alien
5. The Decision
6. The Message
7. The Encounter
8. MM#4 (Back to Before)
9. The Sickness
10. The Android

I could list more... But I'll stick with those 10.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
I can't decide ten. But I'm pretty sure my favorite is "The Attack". This was around the time Animorphs was ghostwritten already, and for a ghostwritten book, it sounded a lot like K.A.
The rest of the ghostwritten books had boring narratives. So unlike the first 20 books or so. :(

Actually, #26, The Attack was fully written by KA (though 25, just before it, was not), but yes after it only one other book (#32, The Seperation) was fully KA until the last two books of the main series, which makes 26 a very sensible time to distinguish when the series really began to change it's 'flavor.'

I'd disagree that the rest were boring, some were still just as enjoyable individually as some of the pure KA ones, though whether this is a result of authorship or the storyline that was still created by KA is debatable.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:32:37 PM by Kotetsu1442 »

Offline 11:11

• I always catch the clock, it's 11:11...
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 10:55:08 PM »
Nice selection....I think they should have had a Chee or Pemalite's Chronicles.....and I would've liked a David narrative

I agree 100% about the Chee Chronicles. Even though we heard a lot about their story throughout the series, I would have loved a book from like Erek's perspective or something and hearing about the escape from the Howlers, his real name, etc. I also agree that a David narrative would have been cool, except I think it only would have worked if they would have had him as like a reoccurring "evil" character and not just in those four books.
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Offline JohnBlaze

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »
Hmm, some good ones here so far (though a couple were very much not to my taste), I'm going to have to think to really put together my top 10. By the way, looking over these books really reminds me of just how vague and unhelpful some of the titles are at reminding you what which book is which. I mean, a few make you go "Oh, it was the one where such and such happened," others make you go "Which one was that *read summary* oh, yeah, I guess that name makes sense" but some of them you can read the entire book then go "Um... did they just pick a random noun?"

examples???

Post Merged: July 07, 2010, 12:33:25 AM
There are still like 9 books I havent read YET, so mine may change
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:33:25 AM by JohnBlaze »

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
#22 - I feel like this book is the true insight into Rachel's character and the "Solution" to the David problem is SO Animorphs. Reading it still gives me chills.
#7 - Actually, all of Rachel's early books are just AWESOME (2, 7, 12), but what was so great about this one was the introduction of the Ellimist, a really well-done "alternate reality" scene, and the destruction of the Kandrona really propelled the resistance
#5 - it could be argued that Marco didn't have any bad books (#40 was his only filler book and it's not bad by filler standards), but the twist was amazing
#13 - Tobias totally earned it and I love the ending
#26 - definitely the series' peak, it was just epic. the kiss was great too
#33 - one of the best ghostwritten books, it was some pretty grim **** and I LOVE the scene with Jake and Visser Three
#45 - come on, didn't you want Marco to save his mom?
Andalite Chronicles - everyone loves the Andalite Chronicles

umm those are my personal favorites

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »
examples???
Well, assuming that one is familiar with the series then titles like The Invasion, The Android, The Sickness and some like it instantly tell you which story it refers to, you go "Oh that's the one where they met [so and so] or went to do [such and such]." The Pretender is actually a pretty cool one because even though it isn't specifically stated in the book it can both refer to Tobias pretending to be human still throughout this story, and it can refer to another 'pretender' that is also relevant to this story, and it is another useful title because it can clearly and strongly be associated with this book while it is difficult to associate 'Pretender' in a strong way as a theme or plot clue to any other book.

On the other hand, titles like The Journey make you go "Which Journey?" It's not that the title doesn't fit with the book, it's that it could be several different books. "Was it the journey to Leera? Was it the journey to the Hork-Bajir home-world? I guess that the trip to Area 91 could be called a journey, hmm....*Read the back cover* Oh... so this is a joking reference to when they debated about Journey vs. Voyage when they were trying to remember the title to 20,000 Leagues under the sea when they realized that neither word was in the title; so this book uses 'Journey' as a contrast to 'Voyage' since this book is very much like 'The Fantastic Voyage' in setting... OK, I guess that works." Or there is "The Return," if you reread that title without any context you are like "Um... a lot of characters Return throughout the series, that isn't too helpful to tell me which this is" but then when you know what the book is about you're like "well, it works though." Or The Extreme: "Well, pretty much every book has an extreme situation, and there are a few other books where the story is one long extreme situation... but I guess this fits because of one specific natural 'extreme'." Or The Underground... come on, they go underground a lot, call it The Oatmeal and I'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Then there are a few titles like The Familiar where you read the book and go "um... am I missing something with that title?" (Am I, because that title still doesn't mean anything to me) or "The Warning" ... um, what Warning? The Conspiracy... well only as it being a tiny part of the entire invasion conspiracy.

There are still like 9 books I havent read YET, so mine may change

Oh, how exciting! Which ones haven't you read? Be sure to share some thoughts/insights as you finish them.