Author Topic: So much pity for Tobias  (Read 6774 times)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: So much pity for Tobias
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
oh...my answer is still not really.

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »
well I mean she never gave him a chance, couldnt she have allowed him some happiness, marco cassie and ax seemed to have been given alot of what they deserved, why not tobias?
I wanted him to see a happier ending more then anyone else, im tired of this realism crap, the tiniest bit of happiness would have been appreciated

Well, yes, you brought up realism, but as "realistic" as she says she strived to be, in writing and in movies, you have to make allowances. Meaning that there's a certain amount of blatant stereotyping that has to be done.  The loner who has everything go wrong in his life, the beauty queen, the nature-lover.  There are parts of these inside everyone, but to make the story more interesting, you can't have five people who are mildly each of these aspects, you have to seperate them.
Not all who wander are lost

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 06:39:19 PM »
Which definition do you want?

Romantic = opposite of Classic, in the sense that Classicism is purely intellectual, and Romanticism is purely emotional.

Here's where I was going with this:

Many of you think Tobias was overly-emotional, like this romanticized version of a loner kid. (He wasn't a criminal, remember?)

I don't think they were "stereotypes" in the sense that they were stock characters, but I think each one of them served a role. Jake was the jock turned leader, Rachel was bloodthirsty Barbie who wanted to do good things but got too caught up in the excitement, Tobias was the loner in every sense of the word, Cassie was the nature-lover who stuck to her beliefs, Marco was the calculating fighter who masked his concern for his mother with his jokes, and Ax was the war student who was stranded on another planet to fight an alien war. These roles were fleshed out enough throughout the series to keep them from being, one could say, a bunch of Mary Sues.

esplin

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »
yeah but i mean these characters might have been a little sterotypical, stock characters if you wanna say that.

but it worked.

and we fell in love with them.

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »
yeah but i mean these characters might have been a little sterotypical, stock characters if you wanna say that.

but it worked.

and we fell in love with them.

They were fleshed-out stock characters, so technically they weren't really stock characters.

And yeah, I liked all of the Animorphs. There weren't any books that I dreaded reading.