Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #45 The Revelation  (Read 8892 times)

Offline Kotetsu1442

Re: Group Re-Read: #45 The Revelation
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 05:06:35 PM »
Yeah, I when the YPM was first introduced in #29, The Sickness (other than the vague rumors of Yeerks who were against invasion that Aftran had brought up before), I started thinking "Well what the heck are they going to do with Aftran if they do free her?" But it was long before I got to the end of the book even that I had thought "Oh yeah, the Chee have technology to use their energy sources for even more compact and convenient Kandrona feeding than the Yeerks do, so I guess that won't be a problem." Then, I get to the end and they are like "Well, Aftran will probably miss being out of the fight, but becoming a nothlit is the only way for her to survive" and I'm like "NO! THAT IS NOT THE ONLY WAY, STOP IT YOU GUYS!"

I can understand why the Chee undercover agents would mostly want to not let compromise their roles by associating with YPM members in case the YPM Yeerks were caught and might blow their cover, but I agree Chad, some of them getting into contact with the YPM and allowing them to simply leave the Yeerk Empire entirely was always an option. Actually it would be cool if the Chee adopted escaped Yeerks and allowed them to live in their heads, shared their senses but didn't relinquish control and they worked as teams infiltrating the Empire.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline LisaCharly

• HotPinkCoffee
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »
^I always wondered if the Chee and Yeerk Peace Movement worked together (and if not, why?).

Personally, this is one of the most disappointing books in the series for me. Marco's my favorite character, and this should be really momentous for his character arc, but it never gets followed up on in the other books and many opportunities for character development are shoved aside for ten pages of gathering speed (totally agreeing with Anijen here) and a car chase. I mean, really. I also feel like Edriss' death is poorly executed; for Eva and Marco, pretty much everything that has gone wrong with their lives in the last 5+ years can be traced back to Edriss, and yet Marco seems not to get any satisfaction out it. I believe he should, especially since early-book Marco had some Rachel-ish revenge issues (see: shark in the swimming pool, sharks on Royan Island, the "rage" monologue in #10, the joy he took out of pestering William Roger Tennant). Also, Edriss is a fascinating character and possibly the most interesting villain in the entire series, and yet her death is very anticlimactic.

That said, I do like the actual events of the book, I just think they needed to be given more weight. And I actually really liked the bit about Nora - it's easy to forget that Marco's not only a teenager, but not really the nicest teenager in the world, and the war has made him even more ruthless and desperate. I think it's pretty certain he lies about Nora, effectively writing her off. Maybe it's to save his dad the pain, but more likely it's so Marco can finally get that dream he's been holding onto since book 5 - the reunification of his family. When the option is available to him, he takes it, and that's both harsh and in-character. But I may just like it because it gave me angsty Nora fanfic fodder.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 11:37:07 PM »
Yeah, I think they shoulda just gone ahead and killed Edriss via Kandrona Starvation, that way it'd be slow and we'd know her thoughts befor death(if KA decided to switch POV's for a little bit)
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
This one is one of my faves...was sooo glad when I got it in a pile of weeded books from the library.

I have very mixed feelings about the ending though...I'm a bit of a romance sucker and liked it that he got to see Eva again and be with her. But I can understand his feelings being so confused, and yes, Marco was trying to soften the blow. I do wish more would have been said about it. And that perhaps she'd been freed earlier in the series.