Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #45 The Revelation  (Read 8891 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read: #45 The Revelation
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
I would have LOVED to see Marco's funeral. I would have loved to see Jake need to pretend to be devistated over his best friend's death, and Marco possibly making funny remarks via thought-speach to the other Animorphs. (Because of course he'd want to watch)
Agreed.
The fact that this was really never addressed is annoying when you stop and think about it. I can't guess the weeks b/w this book and 53, but it can't have been a lot, and that fact that this never came up, especially with Jake and his family, that's kinda sloppy. But then again, how long can you be expected to grief. Still not sure
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:11 PM »
7. What if that end message wasn't from the Yeerks but the Andalites.
I'll try to answer the rest of the questions later.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:59 PM »
????

That message guimmick would have been cool if it continued on after this story. But it never did.
Think, in The Deception there was something similar, when they made the first contact with the Andalite Homeworld, but nothing more than that...

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
I think I may have believed it was the Andalites saying that instead of the Yeerks when I first read it.

It really had no plot bearing, though.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »
Yeah, the only use it had was that it was a signal to readers that things were picking up. 

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »
Also, I just remembered something I would have loved to see in this book, which I've mentioned a few times before and will probably one day write a fanfiction of:

I would have LOVED to see Marco's funeral. I would have loved to see Jake need to pretend to be devistated over his best friend's death, and Marco possibly making funny remarks via thought-speach to the other Animorphs. (Because of course he'd want to watch)

Oh, man, that would have the potential to be an absolutely amazing scene... haha... if you wind up writing it out, let me know. That is an awesome idea. It's definitely strange that there was never any reaction to Marco's "death" in the books...

Mr. King needed to be directly hit so the dracon beam wouldn't just pass through him. Sure he could make it look like the hologram was desintegrating, but there wouldn't be anything solid to make contact with. Dracon beams have been powered down since the HBC Chronicles, where a beam would just slice right through someone and desintegrate their body after one shot.

Yeah I think they could do more with eva being freed first than with Peter. She could help out on missions, and maybe even be given the power to morph. In fact that's probably what should have happened instead of bringing Loren back. they only brought Loren back as a plot device to get them to start making auxilaries. Eva could have taken her place by being rescued in 45, and there would be at least one less loose end left dangling at the end of the series.

It would have been cool to see a couple more characters added to the team throughout the series. Eva would be perfect. So would Aftran. David just paralyzed the Animorphs in that regard, I think.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 04:49:04 PM »
I agree with Eva and Aftran. I would also have liked to see more Auxilary, Free hork, and YPM develoment.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
LOL was Marco's Orange jacket comment in this book a shout-out to that God awful TV show?
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
I don't know, but there have been shout outs. There was one where Marco says "It's not like controllers mess with their ears a lot to let you know it's one of them.", or something to that effect. In the TV show that's a tell that they're the enemy, for those fortunate enough not to watch the TV show.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
Yeah, Rachel also comments in one of her narrations that morphing isn't the "lame" stuff you see on Nickelodean.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
Ha Ha! I love how KA loves to the mock the show as much as we do
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
I don't think this book will have as much from me as some others, which isn't to say it wasn't a good book, I thought it was a really cool premise that had to happen at some point (although, I agree with others, a lot more could have been done with it), but simply that there isn't a lot of deep insights to discuss in the way that there are in others.

Questions
1) This is obviously a major turning point in the series. Do you think that the ‘reveal’ of the Animorphs to Marco’s dad was handled appropriately?

The revealing itself was pretty good here and better handled by Marco than some of the other parents, by explaining the whole story carefully, then showing the morphs as proof) rather than assaulting them with wild animals and then explaining. I think that the whole "adults are too stubborn and unimaginative to be able to believe in this sort of thing when confronted with it, isn't it wonderful that we are kids" thing is a bit overdone with the other adults but is held in check pretty well here.

2) Do you think that Marco’s dad’s reaction was a pretty accurate representation of what would actually happen? How would YOUR dad react if you told him you had spent the last three years fighting brain-stealing slugs?

I think it was a fair enough reaction and that the reaction would depend completely on the individual. I think that some answers to this question, such as that he took it 'too lightly' were unfair, people are really unpredictable when it comes to shocking news and can occasionally handle it in very calm and orderly fashions for quite some time before the shock really sets in and causes a reaction.

3) What do you think would have happened if the Yeerks attempted to capture Marco and his dad rather than kill them? How would the Chee had reacted? What would have been the long-term affects?

Well, there is the whole "catch the Yeerk and have other chee pretend to be Marco and Peter as controllers" theory but at this point in the series that wouldn't work. The problem is, this is one of the biggest unresolved conflicts within the official canon that has been maintained: It was solidly established that Erek allowed a Yeerk to 'infest' into his body, then held it captive and sustains it with Kandrona that he provides while masquerading as a Controller and that this is how the Chee spies infiltrate the Yeerk Empire on Earth, also in the same book (#10, The Android) Mr. King is able to restrain Rachel in bear form, and explains that the Chee are fully capable of restraining anyone who is not powerful enough to overcome them, but cannot actually inflict violence on them; but later the Chee are more restricted, in #26, The Attack Erek is unable to shove a Howler aside in defense of the Anis and in #29 The Sickness he is not even allowed to restrain a delirious Andalite who may be a danger to himself and others because this is somehow 'too violent,' but while the series has ret-conned stronger restrictions on the Chee non-violence programming it never addressed the issue of holding Yeerks captive that allows them to infiltrate the Empire in the first place.

I think that in this case Marco, Erek and Mr. King were simply depending on accurately predicting that the Yeerks being desperate and not wanting to risk another escape and more trouble from Marco and Peter and that they would simply kill them.

4) This is the book where Visser One is finally destroyed and Eva, Marco’s mom, goes free. Do you think that this mission was handled well?

I think that the mission was handled well in a "Visser 1 is almost starved to death and Eva will be killed as soon as Visser 1 does starve, so we have to act fast and rashly because we don't have time for planning and a subtler rescue mission" sort of way.

As far as the actual storyline itself, it was a bit too rushed for verisimilitude, that in all these months (years) of war Marco's dad is on the team that discovers Z-space and he has to be rescued on almost the exact same time that Eva's controller is returned to Earth for execution (not to mention why she was returned to Earth for execution when she could have been starved in the Anati system or elsewhere in the galaxy before the counsel) and she has to be saved, bringing them both to the free colony at the same time is far too much of a stretch when, as others have said they could have happened at completely different times and been fleshed out into two separate books; both more interesting and satisfying, as well as realistic.

6) Marco notes that it is possible that Nora was never actually in love with his dad, but was actually a Yeerk plant all along. Do you think this is a viable suggestion, or is he just grasping at straws? Do you think Nora was a Controller all along?

His inner narration here could be unreliable, but it suggests that he isn't blatantly lying, but is grasping at unlikely straws for his father's sake (as well as his conscious). Yes, in 35, The Proposal they did verify that Nora was not a Controller as well as they could ("She'd never gone near any known Yeerk Pool entrances"), but Marco's voice in this one suggests that this ghost author may have written this book before the others were released and was given the big storyline issues like that Peter had remarried a teacher named Nora who had an annoying poodle that Marco had morphed, but had not been able to read details like the confirmation that Nora was not a Controller; a mistake that should have been picked up in the editing but evidently wasn't.

7) The book ended on kind of an odd note. After the Animorphs finally contact the Andalites there is a page break followed by the following words, in bold: "We do know who they are... and we know you, too... What do you think the meaning of this was?

Yeah... um. Unnecessary. Go ahead and throw in things for added drama and suspense if you want, but only if you intend for it to go somewhere.

8 )Anything else?

I thought it was really powerful seeing Eva finally freed and full of hate at the evil creature that had enslaved her, how even though she is a strong, positive and life-valuing character she was filled with enough hate at after all she had been through and suffered to be ready to kill her enemy when it was completely defenseless.

Kind of a side note, but does anybody else feel like most of the ghostwriters were pulling their punches?
I disagree here. I think a lot of the flak that the ghostwriters get isn't really their due, and that you have to be willing to criticize KA for her problems as well as praise her brilliant strokes. OK, maybe the ghostwriters could have put more power into their emotional scenes and deeper messages, but they'd be just as at risk of being criticized as being too 'over the top' and 'too dramatic' as the criticism you get here. Ultimately, KA did a read-over to make sure it fit in the series and made changes to suit what she wanted to see in it, if she gave it her approval to be a part of the canon of her series then she is responsible for the content.

And yes, while I was reading it I also thought a "Marco's funeral" scene could have been both funny and interesting, Jake trying to fake a serious mourning to avoid any public attention to himself while Marco's thought-speech jokes were in his head would have been great material to work with.
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39:57 PM »
I never really noticed the further restrictions retconned into Chee programming, but I did notice that they never mention Erek having a Yeerk in his head, and can obviously set something up to provide Kandrona radiation to captured Yeerks. I think that would have been a nice thing to explore, and see no reason why they couldn't set up a machine outside of a Chee body to hold captured or defected Yeerks. That might have been something worth getting into, since there are Peace Movement Yeerks who would be safer with the Chee than in the main pool, and who knows how many Yeerks starved to death at the hands of the Free Hork-Bajir.

That thought might be better as it's own topic, though.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
Agreed... I always wondered if The Chee were pro-peace and indirectly involved in this war, why wouldn't they offer this kind of alternative, since Erek himself has confirmed they are capable of generating Kandrona rays. It's one of those things that weren't really explored, but would have been ideal material for a 'Chee Chronicles'.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 06:30:29 AM »
I think they would fit very well into a Peace Movement, but through the series there is no indication that any of them are even connected to it. That's disappointing.

Ani-Master 2014!