Author Topic: How would you buy the reprints?  (Read 9151 times)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: How would you buy the reprints?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
Oh, I also forgot about the price. Yeah, it sounds good. Would be around 2 euros, that's cool.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Serraph105

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:19 AM »
I just realized that it was actually the authors who asked about digital publishing. Anyways I would probably buy them if they had new covers and other updates. However without the updates (new covers or not) I would probably only buy the ones that are currently in bad condition. Book 18 comes to my mind because it is my favorite and currently is just one long text document. Despite being in PDF it doesn't have anything that resembles pages nor does it even use < > when any thought speech happens.

Although if I was assured Animorphs 2.0 would happen if sales were good I could definitely be persuaded into buying them all over again.  ;)

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
Although if I was assured Animorphs 2.0 would happen if sales were good I could definitely be persuaded into buying them all over again.  ;)
i must second this on principle: it is truth.
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 01:50:17 AM »
I do a lot of upper networking books, so I end up paying $80-$150 per book, and with these books comes a digital copy with a licence number.

I would prefer buying the reprint in hardback (Yes, I love hardbacks over paperbacks), or in paper back ... but to have a digital version of the book on micro-CD included within the book. CDs are extremely cheap to make, and it could tag on an extra $2-$3 on the book, therefore extra profit. CD's cost about 15 cents to make. So it would help on the pay for the paper and ink.

I don't necessarily think this is a smart option, unless you're talking big textbooks. CD's in general are on their way out and if we're talking long-term investment I don't think they'll last. I can see selling a CD that maybe contains the entire series, but not per 124 page book. That seems like a bit of a waste, no matter how cheap they are to produce.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline anijen21

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
it would probably be more like a download code or password or something that lets you download the ebook directly from the scholastic site

or something. like they include in DVDs now.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Serraph105

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 02:15:30 AM »
I do a lot of upper networking books, so I end up paying $80-$150 per book, and with these books comes a digital copy with a licence number.

I would prefer buying the reprint in hardback (Yes, I love hardbacks over paperbacks), or in paper back ... but to have a digital version of the book on micro-CD included within the book. CDs are extremely cheap to make, and it could tag on an extra $2-$3 on the book, therefore extra profit. CD's cost about 15 cents to make. So it would help on the pay for the paper and ink.

I don't necessarily think this is a smart option, unless you're talking big textbooks. CD's in general are on their way out and if we're talking long-term investment I don't think they'll last. I can see selling a CD that maybe contains the entire series, but not per 124 page book. That seems like a bit of a waste, no matter how cheap they are to produce.
from my experience when you get an e-book on CD you can always copy if from the CD and keep it on your hard drive. I don't know if the CD's being a waste of space was your worry, but if it was you can be at ease on that one, I do agree however that a single CD for little over a hundred pages wouldn't be worth it though.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
CDs? Where (and when!) do you live? DVDs and external hard-disks are the future ;)
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline dahud

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »
Well, the main reason I'd buy the reprint is to throw at passing children. 
A still more glorious dawn awaits;
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise.
A morning filled with 400 billion suns,
The rising of the Milky Way!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
I don't know whether the re-release is going to be word for word but the only reason I would really buy them is as collectibles, I probably wouldn't even open them. (I own 2-3 copies of all the originals so I'd still have something to read lol)

But if I were getting them for the first time...I don't know the ebook could be cool. Especially since kids today love technology waaay more than even my generation does

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
Well, for all of us the re-release is like a collectors thing, and an opportunity for people who never finished the collection to fill it out. But the whole point of the re-read is to gather new readers, so I think its a good idea to have them available digitally. Like Duff said, the younger generation of readers are obsessed with technology.

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »
agreeing with terenia-

i'll admit that i'd forgotten that "ebook v. book" was even a question; i naturally assumed from the get-go that ebooks would be made available.

*head tilt* although i believe that ebook readers are an impermanent technology (although i could see a certain shift in how different machines network that would make them more practical), the concept of books available as electronic data is kinda here to stay... for a while, at least. it's all a matter of time, and whether the 'animorphs 2.0' (oh, lmao @this) is made available electronically now or in five years is up to scholastic's better trend analysts. lqtm.

still. just to reiterate for my own sake, and although i might sound like i'm "that age" already, i'm going to stick with books for at least a little while longer.
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »
Yeah, I don't think it's a smart move at this point to release a series or a single book ONLY in digital form. There's still a huge market for the physical artifact, and there are tons of people who do not have access to the technology. I have plenty of students who do not own a computer, and if the books were ONLY available digitally, they would not be able to access them.

Still, seeing as it costs next to nothing to produce an ebook (in fact, it probably costs literally nothing) there's no reason NOT to make it available.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »
I like being able to show off books that I love, so I'd prefer to buy the physical copies.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
making ebooks add up to the electricity bill from running your computer  ;D

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
Yeah, advertising is definitely an issue. Then again, to have the experience of going to a bookstore and finding a book and going 'oh that's cool', you have to enter the bookstore to begin with. You can have the same experience going to amazon.com or borders.com.

However, more widespread advertising would definitely be necessary in the long run for it to be successful. I guess companies are waiting until they have a better handle of the technology before they spend a bunch of money on advertising? I know that Sony has a program much like itunes that has a bookstore that operates off the same premise, but obviously that can be improved upon.