Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 233761 times)

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #2670 on: July 28, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »
With the caveat that they'd probably demand an agreement with the Yeerks that they'd continue to produce TV. : P

Offline ViciousVisser

« Reply #2671 on: July 28, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »
Funny story yesterday:

I was working and someone brought in cinnamon buns from Taco Bell yesterday. I actually never had cinnamon buns before because I generally don't eat a lot of sweets. However, I ate them for the first time... AND THEY WERE AMAZING!  ;D

And my mouth went crazy! I felt like Ax! "Cinnamon bunz"

I couldn't help but think about Animorphs when I ate those buns! Good times man!

Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2672 on: July 28, 2017, 08:40:31 PM »
XD First time I ate one, it was indeed delicious, but my first thought was, "So I'm a cinnamon roll eating a cinnamon roll. All we need now is a third one eating---*Is shot before she can say anything bad* <___<;;;;

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2673 on: July 28, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
Are Cinnabons pretty much everywhere in the U.S.?  I can't even remember, only one I've ever seen here is at the airport.

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #2674 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
I wouldn't say "everywhere."  They're in quite a few places if you know where to look, but you do have to look.

Offline Dylan

• Jeremy Jason McCole's #1 Fan
  • Xtreme Member
  • Do you just hate trashcans?
« Reply #2675 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »
Not really everywhere, I've barely seen any in AZ
The only time I've seen one here was in a mall lol
Waffles. Nuf' Said.
2015: Best Newcomer to RAF
2015: Most Insane Member

Offline Shenmue654

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #2676 on: August 02, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
Can I just take a moment to appreciate that Animorphs considered its very young readers intelligent enough to "get" politics? I can't remember a show or book before this that ever made it more complicated than "good king" and "bad king" for the same age group, beyond maybe high fantasy novels for slightly older kids.

Offline Matches

• New Animorphs Fan
« Reply #2677 on: August 02, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
One thing I would really like to see is a count of how many times the word "thermal" shows up in the series
Its in there a dozen plus times in every book.

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #2678 on: August 13, 2017, 02:08:11 AM »
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #2679 on: August 14, 2017, 09:30:08 PM »
Totally random thought : Andalite, injuries and morphing power.

There's something unclear about how the metamorphosis could heal a wound. They say many times that the morphing power cure every physical problem not related to DNA.
We have seen various Andalites with permanent disabilities, a lost stalk eye and others, mostly suffered in battle : captain prince Asculan from #54, or prince Galuit from #18, Mertil from #40
But Mertil is the only to be defined "vecol", and it's clearly stated that he cannot heal his injuries because he has an allergy to morphing technology.
And the others? How can there be disabilities in the andalite military if the power of metamorphosis heals every wound?

We should assume that a lot of andalites are allergic to morphing power, and they are all in the most important positions, but it looks really unlikely, even because the allergy is never mentioned before book 40.

And obviously Elfangor and his lethal injury...but probably this is explained in Andalite chronicles, I don't remember.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #2680 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »
This is definitely something I've thought about before, and I can think of at least two possible explanations (at least, for the minor injuries).

1. Those Andalites probably could morph those battle scars away, but they just . . . don't.  It is made fairly clear that most Andalites, other than those specializing in espionage, don't really make much use of their morphing abilities.  They do the training, maybe morph a kafit for fun when they first get the ability, and then they just seem to forget that they have these powers at all.  The Andalites in #18 didn't even have a small morph available to them so that they could escape the destruction of their ship.  And, in any case, I could see an Andalite actively choosing not to morph their scars away, with the scar being a point of pride and honor to Andalite sensibilities.

2. The morphing power probably takes some element of self-image into account.  There's a couple books where it is made clear that a haircut will not be fixed by morphing (#2, #10, and #26, in case you wanted me to cite my sources), and neither will a piercing (#32).  Both things are technically 'injuries' that do not affect DNA, but they stick around from morph to morph.  And then I could go into all the stuff that's affected by environment rather than DNA, which is how identical twins can still look different from one another, etc.  Yet, again, the morphing process keeps those environmental effects intact.  So, what I think is happening, is that the morphing technology uses slightly more information than just the instructions in your DNA.  It may also take into account your subconscious self-image.  Which, for battle-scarred Andalites, includes their scars.

As for Elfangor, though . . . I think someone on RAF once pointed out that going into a morph is somewhat more difficult than demorphing back to your true form.  So, while the Animorphs have often managed to demorph from serious injuries, they may have been aided by the fact that they were never (to the best of my recollection) fatally wounded in their true forms.  Even then, they've had some very close calls.  Elfangor says in TAC that he was 'too weak to morph,' and given the circumstances I'm inclined to believe that.

I had a fan-theory at one point, that Elfangor wasn't given back his morphing powers when the Ellimist freed him from his nothlit human form.  But the 'too weak to morph' comment seems to contradict that.  :P

Offline ViciousVisser

« Reply #2681 on: August 18, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
Just finished my summer tradition of reading all of the books. Man, the final book tears me up every time...
Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2682 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
I just realized how bad I feel  for ax at the end. For the story to close with him enslaved by another. How much it would hurt his pride to be the enemies tool. the greatest indignity to an andalite warrior
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2683 on: November 24, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
So I'm watching  dba for the umpteenth time this month and can't help but think visser three would be a much better character if he's taken with the additive of main vilians in this. An undeniable challenge and threat but without the magic levels of evil darkness. If nothing else it would make the villain decay hit softer since he keeps appearing. Magic.dark levels of evil should be kept for magic stories or very rarely occurring evil
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Gold Donor
  • be excellent to each other and party on dudes
« Reply #2684 on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
dba?
Well, I'm the boss... Head Honcho. El Numero Uno. Mr. Big. The Godfather. Lord of the Rings. The Bourne... Identity. Er... Taxi Driver. Jaws. I forgot the question quite a while back. Who are you, again?