Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 233793 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #1770 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »
Why do Hork-Bajir even have names? The Yeerk Empire uses them as slaves, and empathizing with them is prohibited. You would think refusing to let them have names would be a step towards completing the process of taking away all identity. I guess maybe the Hork-Bajir name themselves and each other, but wouldn't the Yeerks punish them for it? I suppose giving them a designation number instead of a proper name would make their new "names" similar to Yeerk names, and the Yeerks don't want that. But maybe they need some word to differentiate them because certain hosts belong to certain Yeerks.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline NickDaGriff

• RAF's resident geeky gryphon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #1771 on: August 05, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »
Why do Hork-Bajir even have names? The Yeerk Empire uses them as slaves, and empathizing with them is prohibited. You would think refusing to let them have names would be a step towards completing the process of taking away all identity. I guess maybe the Hork-Bajir name themselves and each other, but wouldn't the Yeerks punish them for it? I suppose giving them a designation number instead of a proper name would make their new "names" similar to Yeerk names, and the Yeerks don't want that. But maybe they need some word to differentiate them because certain hosts belong to certain Yeerks.

Well, considering they got almost completely wiped out on their homeworld and the small remnant was saved and enslaved by the Yeerks, they'd become kind of a tight-knit community in their cages as their Yeerks fed.  I imagine that even if they were born without a name, the older Hork-Bajir from the homeworld would probably give them one.
[spoiler=A writer at heart:]
My sequel fic, Animorphs #55: The Following
My first Memoirs fic, A Geeky Gryphon's Origins

Offline Nar Klawip

• Raf's Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed Howler
« Reply #1772 on: August 05, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
How the HECK did the Yeerks catch that Garatron to infest it?

I'm imagining a whole bunch of animorphs themed Coyote and Roadrunner shorts but with Hork Bajir controllers and the Garatron instead of the roadrunner.
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1773 on: August 05, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
I'm sure they used higher technology. It doesn't really matter how fast you are if they have a fleet of bugfighters. Those things are fast too, and programmed to keep up with other ships zooming around.

Then again, maybe he's voluntary. Did we ever find out anything about it as an individual?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline donut

• Xtreme Member
  • Don't Blink
« Reply #1774 on: August 05, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
*shrug*

Humans hunt bigger and faster animals all the time, and zoos are full of them.

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #1775 on: August 06, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
You guys both make good points. My way is funnier though.

And for my random thought...

Would a mentally handicapped but otherwise perfectly physically fit human make a better host for a Yeerk than a normal human? Would they be less likely to to try to escape when their Yeerk is in the pool or be less able to fight back while being controlled?

This thought makes me feel like a bad person.
"When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When a dying Andalite Prince gives you the morphing power? Well then you make miracles." ~Me

“Screams of a billion murdered stars give lie to the night's peace, while we cling desperately to the few fragile spinning stones we call worlds." ~Hasturi the Mad Perseid, Andromeda

“Well, remember what you said, because in a day or two, I'll have a witty and blistering retort! You'll be devastated THEN!” ~ Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1776 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »
While I'm sure it would make it harder for the host to devise an escape plan, the mentality of a host effects the Yeerk as well. Hork-Bajir controllers sometimes talk dumb, and Taxxon controllers are said to be about as bad as Taxxons. Any mental problem a host has can adversely effect their Yeerk, so there are pros and cons to using physically fit but mentally deficient hosts.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #1777 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
I didn't really take into account how it would affect the Yeerk controlling said human. Duh. Reminds me of something Terenia said ages and ages ago.

Clearly as time went on he somewhat lost his mind. I think that this is in part due to the fact that he was inhabiting Alloran, who was a few crayons short of a Crayola box. Together they made a rather unbalanced team.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:47:04 AM by Klawip »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1778 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure part of the reason V3 is as crazy as he is, is because of who he uses as a host. I'm not sure if it's really discussed by the characters all that much, but the evidence is there that hosts really do have an effect on Yeerks. Which is partly why voluntary hosts are so valued by most of them.

Ani-Master 2014!

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #1779 on: August 09, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
So this showed up on my Facebook wall as someone's shared post. Jaw nearly hit the floor.

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #1780 on: August 10, 2014, 01:05:29 PM »
Woah.

That reminds me of something from #17 (The oatmeal book) when they were trying to break into the Mental Hospital.

We were gathered near the Rupert J. Kirk State Mental Health Facility. It was two floors of red brick. There was a little fountain just outside the front door, and lots of shade trees and lawn chairs sitting out on the grass. It could have been an old folks' home, or a slightly aged apartment building. Except for the fact that it was encircled by a high chain-link fence. And there were three strands of barbed wire atop that fence. And there was heavy wire mesh on the windows. But aside from all that, it looked perfectly nice.

"Who else has the willies?" Cassie wondered. I held up my hand.

"What are willies?" Ax asked. He was in human morph.

<A vague, creepy feeling,> Tobias explained. <The subtle, unsettling sense that something you can't quite see is desperately wrong.>

"The feeling I get when I reach the school door every day," Jake muttered.

Offline NothingFromSomething

• Xtreme Member
« Reply #1781 on: August 10, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »
Much as I like and respect the guy, that's all well and good coming from Michael Grant, successful author.  The majority of kids are going to end up in uniformly regimented jobs and careers, and need to be prepared for that.  Not everyone can be an author, more or less working for themselves and at their own pace.  And if you look internationally, the countries getting the best results are the ones than operate the way schools used to, emphasizing the basics and using regimented repetition.  The Asian nations all do it, the northern Europeans do it.  Yeah, school stress has probably increased a bit since the 70s, but so has the world.  Our systemic results with literacy and numeracy rates are lagging behind, and that's because we're trying all this alternative stuff without making sure kids are graduating knowing the basics.

As for whether a handicapped human host is more attractive to the Yeerks, I doubt it.  They kind of us all as substandard anyway, a simple resource to be harnessed.  Even a high-functioning human being they'd be arrogant enough to think they'd be able to squash immediately anyway.

And I think Esplin's change/evolution in personality between the Hork-Bajir World years and Earth is maybe just more an incongruous thing in the writing, or he just got more jumped-up and egotistical and careless as his power and rank grew, rather than that being anything to do with inhabiting Alloran.  Alloran wasn't really a nutso dictator anyway, more just sort of prideful and paternal to the point he was playing god.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:32:34 PM by NothingFromSomething »

Person Of Interest re-watch.  Still stunning as ever.

Offline Nar Klawip

« Reply #1782 on: August 16, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »
I always loved it when the Animorphs needed to know something important and Ax had to explain that "there was a pretty girl in class flirting with him the day they learned about that, or he fell asleep, or that there was a game later that day so he hadn't been paying attention..."

It was an awesome way to show that teenagers would be teenagers, no matter the race or species and it really helped me connect with Ax knowing that, at the end of the day, he was still just a kid like the rest of the Animorphs.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #1783 on: August 16, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
I think in the atlantis book Ax believes they're about to ask what these aquatic/amphibious "aliens" are, and just tells them straight up he doesn't know what they are. Because when some new alien shows up, they all look at him like he's going to know their names and a brief history about the species.

I really do wish they found a legitimate alien species living at the bottom of the ocean, given how different the real life creatures down there can be from anything we find up here.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline The Spectre

• I am vengeance, I am god´s wrath, I am The Spectre
« Reply #1784 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »