Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 234421 times)

Offline Underseen

• One of RAFs resident ShapeShifters
  • Xtreme Member
  • Feisty Generation Fifteen
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #1590 on: March 18, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
Link please Dino? As a redditor I love xkcd
RAF awards 2012: Best Newcomer... It feels good too

Well, Blue is my RAFcousin.
 Blaze is my RAFbrother and formidable rival.

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #1591 on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
In #29 Aftran says Yeerks reproduce by fusion of 3 slugs (male? female? hermaphrodites?). Then, the three yeerks die. Does this make sense?
Why - and how - a yeerk should decide to die only to generate other yeerks? Can you imagine Visser III that chooses to die in order to have children - children who can not even keep and see them grow?
How can a society work without parenthood, sonship and marriage - or something similar to a close relationship between two individuals?

On the other way, in book #8 a Yeerk talks about a kind of love for another - presumably female - Yeerk. It's weird.

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #1592 on: March 18, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »
Link please Dino? As a redditor I love xkcd

Here it is, in all its glory.

I think a society could work without a concept of parenthood, and it even goes some way towards explaining why the Yeerks became so militaristic.  With no specific individuals having responsibility for raising young, the young are 'cared for' by society as a whole, and so there is a greater impetus to get kids to grow up and take responsibility as rapidly as possible.  And a militaristic structure makes a lot of sense for that.

As for the why of it, I always assumed that some kind of instinct would kick in when a Yeerk got to the end of its lifespan and to the point where they were ready to die anyway.  I dunno, maybe it would manifest as some feeling of responsibility towards future generations, or perhaps even a connection to the other two individuals that they'd be willing to die for.  Evolution is a weird thing, but it has ways of making creatures want things that would seem against their own interests (just look at male black widows and preying mantises).

As for the Yeerkish lovebirds in book #8, I kinda assumed that had been an instance like in Visser, where they were really having human feelings for one another, not necessarily 'Yeerk' feelings.

Offline Blaise Zebrataur

• Ranked 56th in Most Posts
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's MVP of Roleplaying
    • Oreius Nascar Leagues
« Reply #1593 on: March 20, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
Animorphs rule what else can be said?

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
  • "I'm honestly a huge dork."
    • My Book
« Reply #1594 on: March 21, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »
Who else absolutely love books #6 and MM #4??
I neeeed to know!!!
My Tumblr
Saffa is my shorm and RAFtwin. :D Lumy is my awesomeful RAFbrother. ;D
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer 2013
Best RAFian Supervillan/Minion Duo 2013 (Saffa/Abby :D Morph Twins)
RAFian Artist of the Year 2016

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #1595 on: March 22, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
I neeeed to know!!!

I seriously need to hunt down the paperback of #6 since I'm killing my eyes enough with the PDFs... and being in India, that's gonna be tough.

To be honest, I actually didn't enjoy MM#4 all that much. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my favourite character gets turned into a Controller... I dunno.  :P

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #1596 on: March 28, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Did you guys read the newest post on Hirac Delest. It says that Sony owns the right to an animorphs movie website and that the domain name expires June 19th 2013... I really hope that if they DO make a movie it would be Sony CGI because it looks nice on Blu-ray
Ya, I heard about that...... kind of hope they get their butts in gear so us Animorphs fans can pick it apart....  ;D
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Alan Fangor

« Reply #1597 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »
The strange age of Rachel's sister.
In book #2 or #7 Rachel says that Sarah is very young but Jordan "has nearly my age". So, assuming that Rachel was 13-14 at the time, we can suppose that Jordan was 11-12.
Rachel should be 16 in book #49. So, Jordan should be 14-15. But when the Animorphs burst into Rachel's house, she is watching cartoons with her little sister and then she plays with Ax as if he was a magical creature. A 15-year old girl?  :o

So, is this the error of a ghostwriter or Jordan grows backwards, like Benjamin Button? :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:32:42 AM by Alan Fangor »

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #1598 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
I've always wondered that, too. I feel like things were intentionally vague for a lot of things, because the amount of time that had passed was intentionally vague. But then it just gets confusing with sibling ages. o.o Like, I always wondered how old Tom was. He's in high school when the series starts. Is he still in high school in the final arc? If he'd just started high school in #1, then he'd probably be in his last year. Which... would make sense except Jake says Tom joined the high school basketball team, and had also been weirdly distant for a year. Unless Temrash was like "yeah, can still do this b-ball thing for awhile" and then quit, Tom's been off the team for a year. Which means he has to be at least a sophomore in #1.

So... did he graduate? Was he taking college classes? Was he taking a gap year? IT DOESN'T SAY.

Offline Salad Shooter

« Reply #1599 on: March 28, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
Tom/Temrash had just quit the team "a couple days ago" in book 1. I could have sworn it also said somewhere that Tom was two years older than Jake but I can't find it in the e-book.

We do know that Jake is 13 in book 1, because he says in 53 that he was thirteen when it all started.

I can see Tom taking a gap year to work full-time with The Sharing though.

I figure the book 49 thing is a ghostwriter error, but can be possibly passed off as Ax lumping the girls' reactions into one. Sarah's the one giggling over him while Jordan is just watching with amusement.

redtailedsaffa

« Reply #1600 on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Or maybe Jordan had nothing better to do, so she was keeping Sara company.
Hey, I'm an elder sister. I know how that goes. :D

Offline theyoungphoenix

• still abby
  • Xtreme Member
    • My Book
« Reply #1601 on: April 02, 2013, 05:54:52 AM »
I neeeed to know!!!

I seriously need to hunt down the paperback of #6 since I'm killing my eyes enough with the PDFs... and being in India, that's gonna be tough.

To be honest, I actually didn't enjoy MM#4 all that much. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my favourite character gets turned into a Controller... I dunno.  :P
Haha. Thats probably the only reason that its one of my favorites. :D I dunno but i think it's just the way I am.... :whoa:
My Tumblr
Best Newcomer 2013

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #1602 on: April 06, 2013, 01:02:41 AM »
Characters do need development, as long as its progressive in the story. Jake is a good example of this. Katniss is not.
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Canicula

« Reply #1603 on: April 06, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »
Today I completed my collection of the Animorphs books!

I was trying to buy them for about 9 years now, and finally I got all.
Here in Germany there were only he first 30 books translated and when I started buying them most of them where not available anymore, so I had to buy them on eBay. Later when I got older I started to search for the English books, but here they're hard to get, so it's really a success that I now have all of them :)

I'm from Germany, so don't wonder, if my sentences are a bit weird sometimes...

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #1604 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:29 AM »
Congrats, a worthy accomplishment

Superman draws his power from our one yellow sun and he can fly around the world fast enough to turn back time.
Yet the time matrix has the power of 10 suns, which the andalites same is the amount required to move an object through time.
Someone's gotta be wrong here
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....