Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 234529 times)

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #930 on: March 31, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »
lol
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #931 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
I realized on the way to school that andalite plants are weird.
Blues, and purples and reds? For the bulk of that plant? won't that impair photosynthesis in some way?
There's a reason earth plants are green: can't remember what-but I know it has to do with that
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #932 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
     Chlorophyll.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #933 on: May 01, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »
Yes, but I mean the importance of green light being reflected (i.e. not used) as opposed to other colors

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
yes but an andalite digestive system also defies everything we know so tough nubs
I am a Blazing Angel. Master of deviant traps and authentic barbecue. Brothers to Rukh the banner maker, Squall the Lionhearted and Underseen the generally sort of okay.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Haha... that's actually a really good point. Right now, you've got me thinking, and it's raising more questions than it's answering.

With Earth's sun and current knowledge of photosynthesis, green plants don't make a ton of sense. Red or blue would seemingly take in more energy, since green is right near the middle of the sun's average yellow light output.

I've got to assume that the Andalite sun(s) put out light on similar wavelengths to Earth's sun, since Andalite vision does not seem to vary appreciably from human version in terms of frequency range (the vision of every animal on the planet is centered around the light patterns our sun outputs most strongly- what we see as 'visible light').

Basically, I think Earth plants really are just green because the chemical composition of chlorophyll makes it

a) the most efficient method on Earth of synthesizing energy from sunlight and

b) green

If plants are able to evolve to include a photosynthetic chemical aside from chlorophyll (and there are some species of 'photosynthetic' microorganism that are purplish in color), it makes total sense for them to be able to become the dominant species.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #936 on: May 01, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »
see I am capable of more than just randomness. Now excuse me the voices are telling me I need to clean the guns.

Offline paul1991

« Reply #937 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
Yes, plants could be different colors. It can't quite remember how it works, but trees on earth contain pigments of different colors.

I got a B- in Plant Biology in college, so I'm not exactly an authority on the subject.

I don't think they could be blue.

There are all sorts of words I can't really remember that relate to this.
Anthocyanin, xanthophyll, carotenoid pigments, others...

If you are really interested, I still have all of my lab work from that class. I can dig it out and see what I remember.

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #938 on: May 01, 2011, 11:14:02 PM »
please dont, if im reduced to studying plants I would probably throw myself off a building.

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #939 on: May 02, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »
Yes, plants could be different colors. It can't quite remember how it works, but trees on earth contain pigments of different colors.

I got a B- in Plant Biology in college, so I'm not exactly an authority on the subject.

I don't think they could be blue.

There are all sorts of words I can't really remember that relate to this.
Anthocyanin, xanthophyll, carotenoid pigments, others...

If you are really interested, I still have all of my lab work from that class. I can dig it out and see what I remember.

Thing is, if you color the entire plant, it doesn't change the fact that chlorophyll can't absorb green light very well- if a plant ends up, say, red in color, you're blocking both the green and the red from being used by the plant, and leaving it to try to scrape out a living on nothing but the bluer end of the spectrum. Your red plant will be easily overtaken by more-efficient green plants, and die off- hence the reason the majority of the plants on Earth have continued to evolve with green leaves.

There are photosynthetic microorganisms that are blue or reddish or brown or whatever in color, but most of them use slightly different process for photosynthesis than plants. Plants evolved from green ones. Even here on Earth, it's totally reasonable to assume that red or blue plants could have evolved under different circumstances. It just doesn't work particularly well when you try to apply it to Earth plants of today. Gotta take a different evolutionary branch.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #940 on: May 03, 2011, 09:35:26 AM »
^Well said

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #941 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
science....thinky.. ..brain hurt!

Offline Stephquiem

• #1 Poster 8)
  • Gold Donor
  • ^ Hugh. Not House, dagnabit.
    • Facebook
« Reply #942 on: May 04, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
So... apparently owls are the only birds that can see the color blue.

Now I'm trying to remember if there was reference to the color blue while the Animorphs morphed birds? :P

Offline Blazing Angel

• God
  • Back to the original.
« Reply #943 on: May 04, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »
You know chapman was never really described. In the besrt picture i saw of him he was a skinny Europian with blonde hair. I always pictured him as a 5 8" african american dude with no hair.

Offline TobiasMasonPark

• Emperor/Empress of RAF
  • Xtreme Member
  • RAF's Official Unofficial Canadian Ambassador
    • TobiasMasonPark Blogs
« Reply #944 on: May 04, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
     I'm pretty sure his daughter was described as having pale skin.

Not sure where you got the idea that Chapman was anything but white.

I actually thought the show got Chapman's image right. I just didn't think he was a good actor.
Tony's pet Goose.
Unknown User is my shorm.
:raftrophy:
Best Newcomer, 2011
(Thanks for the votes!)
The picture is rather accurate