Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 234366 times)

Offline Alex Oiknine

• Gold Donor
  • I'm moving on, I'm moving on...
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #705 on: July 04, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »
The odder part is that a lot of people in these fields aren't studying the animal's biochemistry at all, they're studying behavior. I mean, you may get a team to investigate the point if you think there may be some chemical base for something, but it's not that often.

Don't feel sorry for me though - I love cultural anthropology. I love biological anthropology too, but I want to teach someday and I feel cultural anthropology is definitely going to be more useful for that, especially if I want to work with ESL students.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~alexoiknine
http://alexoiknine.com
http://aximili.dreamwidth.org

The One (Completed)
The Rescue (Completed)
The Rendezvous (In Progress)

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #706 on: July 04, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
True, I meant to end my last post by noting that it wasn't such a bad thing after all because cultural anthropology is a totally awesome way to go as well. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with anthropology, studying life in general is really cool; but digging into what makes a human a human is amazing. Heck, a huge part of what captured me with Animorphs was the biological and meta-cognitive views of the animal experience and the human/extra-human (alien) perspectives; it just sent my adolescent imagination reeling (OK, it still does, and maybe my mind is still too adolescent in some ways :)).
If your attack is going well, you have walked into an ambush.

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
I think that the Suspicion was pretty irrelevant. I thought that it was pretty lame, really. I mean, a lot of the story of Animorphs is somewhat believable and most of the aliens are pretty cool, but the Helamacrons were about the dumbest thing in the series so far.

And that really sucks about calculus. My friend really liked marine biology and wanted to study that, but then she found out that you had to take lots of math courses for it.
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline xxmudtailxx

« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »
Its weird how the elimist is all, oh, we dont interfere, but they do  :-]

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #709 on: July 06, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »
Its weird how the elimist is all, oh, we dont interfere, but they do  :-]

Have you read The Ellimist Chronicles? His whole story is laid out as entirely as possible at that point, though he gives enough of a general idea of his motivations throughout his other appearances in the main series.  Personally, I would have almost prefered TEC to be its own separate piece of sci-fi and not the central character not be tied in as the Ellimist, because it was a really amazing story that could stand alone anyways and the Ellimist of the Animorphs books was at his coolest when he was at his most mysterious, clever and indirect enough that he could still actually claim 'non-interference' (#7, The Stranger).

I think that the Suspicion was pretty irrelevant. I thought that it was pretty lame, really. I mean, a lot of the story of Animorphs is somewhat believable and most of the aliens are pretty cool, but the Helamacrons were about the dumbest thing in the series so far.

Well, yes it and the Helmacron followup (# 42, The Journey) are pretty irrelevant to the main story-line, but I was OK just because I did enjoy the seamless way the series did manage to integrate and explore other sci-fi/fantasy premises (beyond its own animal shape-shifters premise). Suspicion's exploration of scale changing perspectives is by no means original (Gulliver's Travels, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Honey I Shrunk the Kids are the most popular examples) but manages to bring its own new take on it while still fitting into the Aniverse.
Journey went so far as to have the characters mention what sci-fi it was drawing its inspiration from; again it was pointless to the main story, but it was certainly a neat one as well.

I was amused enough too in the laughable, supreme overconfidence of the ridiculously non-threatening threats of the Helmacrons; yet another trope that isn't original, but managed to take on its own fitting shape in the Ani-verse. Nothing completely new under the sun I suppose.

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2010, 04:03:57 PM »
Quote from: Kotetsu1442
I was amused enough too in the laughable, supreme overconfidence of the ridiculously non-threatening threats of the Helmacrons
I'm not quite sure the were so "ridiculously non-threatening". Sure, most of the time they were just annoying, but their shrink ray had some unpleasant potential. It was also disturbing how close a dozen of the little egotists came to taking out Marco; if he hadn't been in ****roach morph, he probably would have gotten killed.
The Helmacrons' morphing-energy detector was a pretty good weapon, too, particularly when the Yeerks got it. The Animorphs were nearly uncovered then.

The Helmacrons were definitely supremely overconfident and arrogant, but IMHO they did have some ability to threaten the Animorphs.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline Kotetsu1442

« Reply #711 on: July 08, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
The Helmacrons were definitely supremely overconfident and arrogant, but IMHO they did have some ability to threaten the Animorphs.
True, but in the right situations a kitten can threaten the animorphs  :). Anyways, you are correct that they could threaten the Animorphs. I was referring to their plans of galactic dominance, something that isn't as easily bought about by annoying one individual at a time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:26:03 AM by Kotetsu1442 »

Offline A ghost you know

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #712 on: July 08, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
Quote from: A ghost you know...
True, but in the right situations a kitten can threaten the animorphs  :).
The Helmacrons were able to threaten the Animorphs even when the Anis were out of morph. I don't recall any kittens doing that... ;)

I was referring to their plans of galactic dominance, something that isn't as easily bought about by annoying one individual at a time.
Oh, OK. I misunderstood you.
Yeah, I seriously doubt they could dominate even a couple of large planets, let alone an entire galaxy.
RAFdating Horsefan1023 (Seal)! :D

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #713 on: July 09, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »
I just had a thought. How different do you think things would be if V3 hadn't assigned Tom to the Blade Ship at the end? He and Rachel wouldn't be on the ship at all.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #714 on: July 09, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
Yeah...their plan was dependent on that, wasn't it?  idk, I haven't read the last books in quite a while.  Been rereading from the first books.

Speaking of which, I finally got my brother to start reading Animorphs, but he only made it up to the middle of #3 before deciding it was "dumb."  I'm trying to get him to read #4 now.   :P

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #715 on: July 09, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
How old's your brother? Tell him he's my new hero if he keeps going.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #716 on: July 10, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
He's 12, so definitely in the right age range to be reading the books...

Yeah, I'll tell him he'll be Aluminator's new hero, and see what he thinks of that.  Heheh.

Offline AnyaSciarra

• "Computers don't care if they're yelled at."
« Reply #717 on: July 11, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »
He will also be my hero!

Another random thought- I love the sentences on the front of each book. My favorite is "Some people never change. Some do." from the Invasion. I also like all the titles (My favorite is The Forgotten).
"The saddest day of my life was that day when I learned that Sherlock Holmes was not real. Boy was I wrong."--- Norah Yasgur

Offline itw2009

• Gold Donor
  • your daily dose of skepticism
« Reply #718 on: July 11, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
i saw one girl at the museum of natural history ogling over animal skeletons and thought, "OMGOMG, IT'S A YOUNG CASSIE AND I WANT ONE."

a few days ago.... i noticed my reflection in a metro car window and wondered how the hell andalites could ever handle all of those fingers when MY hands look weird enough with only five. >>
“The President and a small group of people know exactly what he meant."

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #719 on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:32 AM »
Hehehe. Nice, Court :P

I swear this one hawk by my house has been shadowing me for the last few days. I've seen it so many times, and each time it's staring right at me. Maybe trying to see if I'm a Controller?

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story