Author Topic: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts  (Read 136829 times)

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • Insanity Meter:
    0.2%
  • RAWR!
Re: Totally Random Animorphs Thoughts
« Reply #2685 on: August 14, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
This is definitely something I've thought about before, and I can think of at least two possible explanations (at least, for the minor injuries).

1. Those Andalites probably could morph those battle scars away, but they just . . . don't.  It is made fairly clear that most Andalites, other than those specializing in espionage, don't really make much use of their morphing abilities.  They do the training, maybe morph a kafit for fun when they first get the ability, and then they just seem to forget that they have these powers at all.  The Andalites in #18 didn't even have a small morph available to them so that they could escape the destruction of their ship.  And, in any case, I could see an Andalite actively choosing not to morph their scars away, with the scar being a point of pride and honor to Andalite sensibilities.

2. The morphing power probably takes some element of self-image into account.  There's a couple books where it is made clear that a haircut will not be fixed by morphing (#2, #10, and #26, in case you wanted me to cite my sources), and neither will a piercing (#32).  Both things are technically 'injuries' that do not affect DNA, but they stick around from morph to morph.  And then I could go into all the stuff that's affected by environment rather than DNA, which is how identical twins can still look different from one another, etc.  Yet, again, the morphing process keeps those environmental effects intact.  So, what I think is happening, is that the morphing technology uses slightly more information than just the instructions in your DNA.  It may also take into account your subconscious self-image.  Which, for battle-scarred Andalites, includes their scars.

As for Elfangor, though . . . I think someone on RAF once pointed out that going into a morph is somewhat more difficult than demorphing back to your true form.  So, while the Animorphs have often managed to demorph from serious injuries, they may have been aided by the fact that they were never (to the best of my recollection) fatally wounded in their true forms.  Even then, they've had some very close calls.  Elfangor says in TAC that he was 'too weak to morph,' and given the circumstances I'm inclined to believe that.

I had a fan-theory at one point, that Elfangor wasn't given back his morphing powers when the Ellimist freed him from his nothlit human form.  But the 'too weak to morph' comment seems to contradict that.  :P

Offline ViciousVisser

• Insanity Meter:
    1.2%
« Reply #2686 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »
Just finished my summer tradition of reading all of the books. Man, the final book tears me up every time...
Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    2%
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2687 on: September 05, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »
I just realized how bad I feel  for ax at the end. For the story to close with him enslaved by another. How much it would hurt his pride to be the enemies tool. the greatest indignity to an andalite warrior
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    2%
« Reply #2688 on: November 24, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »
So I'm watching  dba for the umpteenth time this month and can't help but think visser three would be a much better character if he's taken with the additive of main vilians in this. An undeniable challenge and threat but without the magic levels of evil darkness. If nothing else it would make the villain decay hit softer since he keeps appearing. Magic.dark levels of evil should be kept for magic stories or very rarely occurring evil

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    8.8%
  • whattup diggity dawg
« Reply #2689 on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
dba?
I sung songs spun stories loved laughed and drank wine

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    2%
« Reply #2690 on: December 24, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
Finally got the Harrier, male, on a day I was sure I shouldn't have.

Life is weird

Offline Quaf

• Andre, the seventh animorph
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    8.8%
  • whattup diggity dawg
« Reply #2691 on: December 25, 2017, 03:32:04 AM »
I’ve reread the series a billion times, yet I somehow always skip #46, the one with ax morphing the military dude on the cover. I can’t even remember the plot from the first (and only) time I read it. Hell, I’ve read the weakness more than once, but this book I just hate so much and I don’t know why, but it’s enough to stop me from reading it to find out
I sung songs spun stories loved laughed and drank wine

Online gh, King of Birbs

• Wizard of Doom
  • Gold Donor
  • Insanity Meter:
    5%
  • gh, the lone owl of the Apocalypse
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2692 on: December 25, 2017, 04:31:48 AM »
Yeah, I always kind of forget that book even exisis :P
Spoiler: RAF Awards (click to show/hide)
I have no RAFsiblings.

Offline ViciousVisser

• Insanity Meter:
    1.2%
« Reply #2693 on: December 28, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
#46 was one of my favorites because I love the themes of war and morality it had in it, including the war between the Yeerks and the potential nuclear war with nations.
Marco: Oh, it's just a trash can. Chill out.
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Marco: Okay, so it's four trash cans.
Jake: Get off the sidewalk, you lunatic!
Marco: (yanks wheel right, bumps the sidewalk, grazes a parked car)
BAM! BAM! BAM!
Jake: Do you hate trash cans? Is that your problem? Do you just HATE TRASH CANS?!!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    2%
« Reply #2694 on: December 30, 2017, 09:22:42 PM »
I'm at home, admiring how perfectly all the Animorphs books fit on a single shelf of my childhood bookshelf, but I can't help but wonder why TEC looks among the most worn out. I've read them all more than I can count, but that's gotta be one of the ones I handled the least.

Offline .: Asmo

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    3.4%
  • :(){ :|: & };:
    • Invasion Continues
« Reply #2695 on: January 09, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
This looks oddly ... familiar ....

https://www.dynatrace.com/perform/

Ignore what the site is for ... but enjoy the somewhat Animorphs related space theme.
.: Asmodeus
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Sole Zombie Apocalypse Survivor 2012/2014/2015
James Bond Villain 2013/2014/2015
Most Likely Harbinger of Armageddon 2014
Best RAFian Superhero/Sidekick (or Supervillain/Minion) Duo 2014

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Insanity Meter:
    2%
« Reply #2696 on: January 16, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Even though Animorphs was among the most popular series of it's time, I can't help but feel...alone when ever I talk about it with others. No one seems to have spent as much time with it, read it as repeatedly, as fully, taken the time to understand the things that aren't said, the things that could be said, the things that are toldly up to interpretation because of what has and hasn't been said.

I though this yesterday, and it made me appreciate this place. Because I can have those conversations with you guys.
Thanks.

Though, to avoid getting to freely, this came about on pondering how it is someone could read the series in depth and still draw different conclusions about both the implications and the events themselves. There are a few popular theories here that I vehemently oppose, and I was thinking that for most people those were what was theorized without any deeper thought. But some people have probably thought of them as deeply for them as I've thought against them.
So the point is you're still wrong, but you're wrong for better reasons than everyone else.