Author Topic: Ask K.A. Applegate / Michael Grant Questions! (part deux)  (Read 16096 times)

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
Re: Ask K.A. Applegate / Michael Grant Questions! (part deux)
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 07:28:52 AM »
When Animorphs was being published, when the internet was AOL homepages and it took three hours to download an eight-second audio file, fans weren't all that aware of the writing relationship between Applegate and Grant (at least not in my circles). So now that we know you got each other's backs, I was curious. Just how much Michael Grant is in Animorphs? Conversely, how much K.A. Applegate is in the Gone series?

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »
ANIMORPHS was an equal collaboration from the start.  But that collaboration started much earlier.

Part of the confusion came because we were actually not just two different writers with two names, we were two writers with 11 names.  Beth Kincaid, C. Archer, Pat Pollari, Katherine Kendall, Nicholas Stevens, Katherine Michaels (heh), A.R. Plumb and others we can't even remember.  Actually "Michael Grant" is yet another pseudonym -- it's actually Michael Reynolds.

Neither of us could even begin to parse out who did what and when and why.

The reasons for pseudonyms are various.  Our first book was for Harlequin which in those days (early pleistocene) took ownership of the author's name.  So: pseudonym.  Then for a while we were ghostwriting for Francine Pascal, so another name.  We worked for Disney for a while and we were writing so much of their list it was embarrassing to them, so they asked us to conceal the extent of our involvement with various pseudonyms.

Are you bored with this answer yet?

And then there was Barf-O-Rama.  A sort of self-evident excuse for a pseudonym.  Meanwhile, just to make things more complicated, Michael was writing for newspapers as "Michael Robinson." 

Then we went into YA romance with OCEAN CITY and BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS and Michael really didn't want to have his name associated with the writing of breathless make-out scenes between teens.  Because "Eeww."  Neither did Katherine but too bad:  someone had to take the blame.  We wrote those as "Katherine Applegate."

By the time we started ANIMORPHS "Applegate" was a semi-established name as far as publishers and bookstores were concerned.  So it made sense to stick with it.  We thought about using two names, but it makes it hard for readers to remember.  So, no.

We assumed we'd eventually use Reynolds or some Reynolds-esque pseudonym because of course we didn't know ANIMORPHS was going to be 63 books.  We figured six or eight and off we'd go to the next thing.  But of course ANI spawned EVERWORLD and REMNANTS.

Then we quit.

Then we ran out of money so we un-quit.  But enough time had passed that we didn't see a huge advantage in "K.A. Applegate" as a name.  Katherine thought quite a bit about dropping Applegate altogether but in the end decided to keep it.  But we were no longer interested in writing together.  Katherine wanted to do younger and/or more literary stuff.  Michael wanted to do GONE.  The writing partnership ended upon quitting REMNANTS.

That being said, of course we talk about work all the time.  We bounce ideas off each other, we help each other work through POV or plot questions.  We just write different things.

The best we can tell you in terms of who did what is:  if it was lyrical, descriptive, or romantic it is slightly more likely to have been Katherine.  If it was violent, political or funny, it is slightly more likely to have been Michael.  But even then if you guessed a particular scene you'd probably be wrong -- and god knows we wouldn't remember.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:17:24 AM »
First of all, I'm going to add mine to the slew of thanks that have piled up. Animorphs was my fondest companion through elementary and middle school. As a result of many years spent in the world of Yeerks and Andalites I decided to pursue a career in English, which eventually led me to becoming a high school AP English teacher. I can honestly say that it is one of the best jobs in the world and it never would have happened if not for you. I also probably would have never ended up living in Texas, so I mentally curse you every day it is above 90 degrees. :P

I have two questions:
1) At what point did you realize that Animorphs had made it big in the world of monthly series? How did you guys react to the success? Did you ever expect the fandom to endure as long as it did?

2) I have heard (don't remember where) that Michael is particularly good at reading the market as far as publishing is concerned. I was wondering if he had any tips to share with aspiring writer's, especially in a world where the publishing industry is so precarious with the gradual shift to ebooks.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Your writing has truly been one of the guiding forces in my life.

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
When ANIMORPHS hit the Publishers Weekly bestseller list we thought, "Hmmm. . ."  And then we started seeing very large royalty checks and that was definitely very cool.  But we're both wary and always waiting for the next shoe to drop.  We're also sort of self-deprecating about our work, we really try never to take ourselves seriously, so our attitude was always, "Yeah, we sold a million books, but RL Stine was much bigger than we'll ever be."  Because of that character trait (or mental weirdness) it didn't occur to us that anyone was even getting the sort of moral, philosophical, political substructure of ANIMORPHS.  We wrote the "deeper" stuff for each other's amusement and out of a sort of vague feeling of moral obligation -- and mostly just because it worked for the story.  But we figured maybe 1 reader out of a 1000 was paying attention to anything beyond Tseeew  Tseeew!

So it's only been recently that we've come to accept that we had any lasting impact on readers. 

As for the market.  Always look for what isn't there.  Everyone told us to go into horror when GOOSEBUMPS ruled but we thought: no.  Stine owns horror, we need to go  a different way.  Like, say, science fiction.  As we were looking at a second series we counter-programmed ourselves with fantasy in the form of EVERWORLD.  We were right about fantasy, as JK Rowling (not us) proved. 

Right now we see two huge holes in the market:  straight-up middle grade horror is one.  Comic-adventure is another.  THE MAGNIFICENT 12 is aimed at that second segment.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »
Thanks, I was asked to repost this question because you apparently skipped it:

Hi! Firstly, I'd just like to say how much I love your books. They were pretty much the thing I was obsessed with as a kid, and when I re-read them all again recently...well, let's just say as a 23 year old I have now gotten obsessed all over again! So thanks so much for writing them.

As for my question...I'd like to know if you decided on last names for any of the Animorphs other than Jake. And if you did, what are they?

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
No, we didn't.  We didn't want to write it as a "ta da!" kind of moment.  "His last name is. . . drumroll . . . Jones!"
It would have to be part of the story.  As best we can recall we needed Jake to have a last name in the story and never came to that point with the others.  The 1st person voice sort of eliminated the necessity. 

In any case feel free to imagine any name you like.  Maybe your own name.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »
You can't believe the impact this series had on my life. Thanks. Now onto nerdiness.
I have always wondered about Tobias' Human Morph of himself. Since he acquired himself at approximately age 13 and morphs don't age, after the following 2 years of the war is he a 16 yr old morphing into a 13 yr old body? If so, would that have affected his relationship with Rachel since she was aging normally?

If I can ask an auxillary question, in the original rough draft of Animorphs, what was Jake's, then Matt, little brother Joseph character like. All we get online from searches is that he took Cassie's place. Can the community ever see this draft?

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
Answer to wolfev that got eaten:

Ooooh, most excellent nerdliness.  You are absolutely right about Tobias' human morph.  And this is the first time we've realized it's kind of an issue.  I guess we'll just have to say that Rachel likes younger men?  Er . . . Hmmmm . . .

Neither of us knows what you mean by an ANIMORPHS draft with a Matt or Joseph character.  Can you elucidate?  (We use 'elucidate' to distract from the Tobias KASU.)

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
"There are a few things conspicuously absent from the last book of Animorphs: the fate of the auxiliary Animorphs, interaction between the Animorphs and their parents/siblings, etc. Were these omissions deliberate, or was the ending cut shorter than you'd have liked due to space constraints?"

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Well, we had basically a 140-160 manuscript page limit.  So length is inevitably an issue.  And we wanted it to transition from sort of normal to after-the-war.  But we never really wanted to answer every question, dot every "i," cross every "t."  We are both sort of averse to facile answers. 

We both sort of hated the kind of ending that they had on the first Star Wars or on some of the Star Trek movies:  big parade, medals, everybody happy.  Wars only end that way for the civilians far from battle, they don't end that way for the people in the war. We have this illusion that's how World War 2 ended, but I doubt the survivors of Dachau or the soldiers who lost body parts from bombs, or traumatized soldiers threw much of a party.

Everyone hated book #54 because we didn't have that complete, happy, everything's-good-now, ending, but for us the last thing we wanted was some artificial closure.  (We both hate that word by the way.) So we decided that some, like Marco, would come through it all just fine, and some like Cassie would actually find a positive meaning from it.  But others, like Tobias and Jake would sort of never get past it.  And one would be dead.

Doing all that in 160 pages we didn't have much room to address everything.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
We have held some discussion on RAF as to what exactly you meant by "You may now demorph," the closing line of your letter to readers at the end of #54. Could you elaborate?

You can view our discussion thread here.

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
To us it felt like we were all in a conspiracy together, us and the readers.  Co-conspirators.  Us against them, whoever "them" was.  It felt like we were at the end of something transforming, something kind of intense, like a sports team at the end of the season or an army at the end of a war.  Or like we were all being crazy together.  Anyway the feeling was, "You guys have stayed with us from book #1 through book #54 and you have been incredibly loyal, we are incredibly grateful, but we understand you're going to see other writers now." 

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 10:58:05 PM »
Thanks well here is my Question

Well for starters Like everyone else here your books have touched our hearts.  As an English language learner reading your books was more than just fun.  When I write my own stories I usually get into character and try to think like the character. Sometimes I get a little to exited or angry depending on what is happening in the story. So I was wondering how much into character did you get while writing your books?

Offline applegate/grant

• Animorphs Author
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 11:45:16 PM »
Neither of us ever had a process per se.  There are parts of writing that each of us kind of has to work at -- for Michael it's description, for Katherine it's plotting.  But we never had to think much about how a character would "sound."  Mostly these six characters were just very clear in our imaginations.

If you do a character well as a writer then not only you but your reader can anticipate what they'll do and say in a given situation.  Let's take Michael's favorite example:  Captain James T. Kirk.  It doesn't matter what situation you put Kirk in, the viewer can tell you exactly what he'll do and what he'll say.  We know Kirk. 

So basically when you really get to know your characters and feel them as real people in your head, their dialog or actions or thoughts come naturally.

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
It's awesome that they're doing this! So cool. Thanks for hosting this Q&A.

The Andalite Chronicles is one of my favorite books of all time. I really enjoyed the way that the book fleshed out Elfangor, the series' ultimate hero, by showing that even though he was brave and good, he was once a kid who made mistakes. And of course his doomed love story with Loren (who is omg, so awesome) is wonderful. My question is: did Elfangor's hirac delest ever make it to the Andalite Homeworld, or was the transmission completely destroyed with his ship in book #1? And while we're on the subject, do you remember why you decided to have Tobias tell the others the truth about his father "off-camera," and if so, would you mind sharing?