Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Week 5, #5 The Predator  (Read 3196 times)

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Group Re-Read: Week 5, #5 The Predator
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:03:26 PM »
We're kinda due for a new book, don't you think?

Summary

Marco never wanted to be an Animorph. He never wanted the ability to change into any animal he touches. He just wants to chill. Whatever happens, happens.
Jake, Rachel, Cassie, and Tobias know why Marco feels the way he does. He's worried about his dad - the only family Marco has left. And if anything happens to him, his father will be alone.
But something is about to change Marco's mind. It seems the Yeerks have a little surprise waiting for him. And it's definitely not nice.
Now Marco has a reason to fight...

Questions
1) In this book, Marco uses his morphing power to fight everyday crime. What do you think of this? Did he do the right thing? Was he taking an unnecessary risk?

2) What do you think of Marco's decision at first, to quit being an animorph? Would you have tried to talk him out of it?

Feel free to answer any or none of my questions, ask your own, and just discuss the book

(sorry if my questions aren't very good. I'm not good at coming up with questions)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:56:41 AM by morfowt »

Offline Yorick Brown

Re: Group Re-Read: Week 5, #5 The Message
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »
I'm not good at coming up with questions

Oh take it fro me! Asking questions is not a problem for you at all.
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
::) not what I meant...

Offline Yorick Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
By the way it's THE PREDATOR not THE MESSAGE.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:25:59 PM by Yorick »
This great evil - where's it come from?
How'd it steal into the world?
What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this?
Who's killing us, robbing us of life and light, mocking us with the sight of what we mighta known?
Does our ruin benefit the earth, aid the grass to grow and the sun to shine?  Is this darkness in you, too?  Have you passed through this night?

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »
oh right. I just copied the title. I forgot to edit that.

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
Re: Group Re-Read: Week 5, #5 The Preadator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
1) In this book, Marco uses his morphing power to fight everyday crime. What do you think of this? Did he do the right thing? Was he taking an unnecessary risk?

I think it was the right thing to do, I just find it funny cause he gave Rachel hell over doing the exact same thing, but when he's faced with the same choice, he picks the same decision she had done.

2) What do you think of Marco's decision at first, to quit being an animorph? Would you have tried to talk him out of it?

I would have tried to talk him out of it, yeah, but at the same time I would have understood why he wanted to as well.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Thanks there morfowt! School started this week and I hadn't had the time to post questions.

Of course it was the right thing to do, albeit still stupid because he was risking being seen.

Probably. The team needs everyone to function. One less person means a bigger risk on the ones left. However, I can understand his reasons for quitting.

A few questions of my own....

3) This is the book where we discover who Visser One is. What do you think of KA's decision to make it Marco's mom?
4) What do you think of the rivalry between V1 and V3? Is it realistic that Visser One let the Ani's escape to discredit him? Or was that OOC?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
3) This is the book where we discover who Visser One is. What do you think of KA's decision to make it Marco's mom?

It was a nice twist, for sure, but things become a bit too coincidental when every Animorph seems to have some direct relation to the war (Jake's brother, Marco's mom, Tobias' father, ect).

4) What do you think of the rivalry between V1 and V3? Is it realistic that Visser One let the Ani's escape to discredit him? Or was that OOC?

I thought that was an awesome move. What better way to screw him over, then make him look incompetent to run the invasion? And with a race such as the Yeerks were everyone wants more power then what they have, the rivalry is very realistic.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »
3) It's similar to the "you killed my parent" steriotype, and the "Luke, I am your father" steriotype. Not a really bad move, though, especially since we find out later that all that stuff was done on purpose by the Ellemist.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »
Thanks there morfowt! School started this week and I hadn't had the time to post questions.
You're welcome. Just don't do that again. I don't like having to come up with discussion questions.

I personally, feel that it was an awesome idea for KA to do that. I love all the different connections between characters.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 06:31:47 PM »
You're welcome. Just don't do that again. I don't like having to come up with discussion questions.

Yes, sir!

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »
I am going on memory here because I haven't read this book in a while.
Before this book, Marco is just seen as a plain class clown with reservations about getting into this war because of his dad and his 'mother's death'. This book is important because it further introduced the character.
We see that yeah, Marco is capable of risking solo heroic action for the sake of saving an innocent. Yeah, he shows early hints of the 'calculating-strategist' in him. Yeah, he turns into a lobster. And yeah, by the time it ends, he is completely engulfed in this war the whole way because of his mum being the host of a powerful enemy.

I don't think he could have walked out of this one. He wouldn't know. But it wouldn't change the fact that his mother was still a Controller. That she is the force pushing for a peaceful-subtle style invasion and all.

Having said that, I think the coincidence of Eva being the host of none other than Visser One was a bit much at first. Why does there ALWAYS have to be the whole discovery of a relative or friend on the wrong-side behind every conflict fiction?? Who knows??
Once you see it as a plot device for the character Marco, it works really good though. It's adds an emotional challenge and further engages us with him.
I particularly liked the mental picture of them in their animal morphs and the sole gorilla dropping at the sight of her. The gorilla's mind being to close to a human's emotionally for Marco to mask his shock and sadness in. It was Jake that got Marco back together. KA wrote this to perfection.

The Visser rivalry adds a new depth to our early concepts of the hierarchy behind the Yeerk Empire.
Visser One saw Visser Three as ruining all her plans on the Invasion Campaign of Earth she had masterfully started. Always leaning towards subtlety, devised the sabotage as a means to get rid of him. This highlights them as the political leaders that they are, not just Yeerk generals.

There's also a bit more on adding some fun to the thus-far serious Ax in this book. I believe this is where he first goes beserk with the taste buds of the human morph. Classic, Ax.
Another part that I have not forgotten in the story in this book, that is touched upon at various points throughout the rest of the series, is the fight inside the ant tunnels. The Animorphs had their major fight for life, and it was against one of 'Mother Earth's' own. In many ways, worse than any other of their battles against the Yeerks. All taken place right out the back of an enemy's house. Things could have gotten seriously messy there.

A great book. One of my Marco's favorite.

oh right. I just copied the title. I forgot to edit that.

PS:
Please also take note of your spelling. It's THE PREDATOR.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:22:42 PM by Gafrash »

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 05:53:42 AM »
sorry about that too. I'll go change it. I know how to spell it, it was a typo that I didn't check.