Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #36 The Mutation  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: #36 The Mutation
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »
NOTE: Okay guys, we're in the midst of the 'ghost writer era', so I have a request to make of you all. I know that quite a few of you have been answering these questions based on memory, which is fine. However, the further we go the less likely it is that certain books are 'memorable', especially for specific details. I'm going to ask all of you to please actually re-read the books if you have time to do so, for the sake of keeping these threads active and the discussion relevant. I think that it will enhance everyone's experience. If you don't own the books, don't forget there are always the RAF e-books! Thank you guys!
-T.

Summary
Visser Three is still trying to find a way to reach the Pemalite ship. The ship that was hidden thousands of feet below the ocean's surface. A ship containing technology so advanced that it is superior to anything even the Andalites have built. And this time, the visser plans to find the ship so he can use the power to complete Earth's invasion.

Jake, the other Animorphs, and Ax acquire additional deep-sea morphs in order to stop the visser's plan. But while trying to destroy the Yeerk ship, the kids make a startling discovery: an underwater civilization. Have the kids discovered Atlantis...or is it just another trap?

Questions
1. This book begins with the Animorphs discovering that Visser Three has conducted genetic experiments on Hork-Bajir in an attempt to create an amphibious creature. The experiment fails and 50 Hork-Bajir die. What do you think about his methods? Are they comparable to the Arn, for example?

2. Cassie takes this mission personally. For her it is a chance to avenge Hahn's death. In short, it's about revenge. What does this say about Cassie's character and how it has or hasn't changed?

3. The battle between Orca and Sea Blade is oddly reminiscent of the end of the series. When Jake is sure that they are all defeated instead of turning tail he says something that essentially means, "ram the Sea Blade". What do you think about these parallels?

4. Okay, any thoughts about Atlantis and the Nartec?

5. Thoughts about the brief moment that Visser Three and the Animorphs are working together? Do you think that this book shows Visser Three in a state of villain decay?

6. At the end of the book, Rachel comments that the Nartec are evil, but Ax reminds her that all of the weapons they used were human weapons. This begs the question: is humanity, as a whole, evil?

7. Anything else? Questions, comments, quotes?

Next week: #37 The Weakness

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
Re: Group Re-Read: #36 The Mutation
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
I'll admit that I've been going from memory, but that's because the group re-read started, like, a week after I'd just finished my own re-read of the series. So it's still quite fresh. XD

1. This book begins with the Animorphs discovering that Visser Three has conducted genetic experiments on Hork-Bajir in an attempt to create an amphibious creature. The experiment fails and 50 Hork-Bajir die. What do you think about his methods? Are they comparable to the Arn, for example?

I think the big difference between V3's experiments and the Arn is that the Arn actually knew what they were doing. Now, maybe they'd done some questionable experiments BEFORE they got to the point they're at in HBC, but as we know them, they would have thought out the experiment a lot more, and wouldn't have gone through with it if they'd seen that it wouldn't have worked.

Visser Three, on the other hand, just forged forward with no idea what he was doing, hurting innocents along the way.

2. Cassie takes this mission personally. For her it is a chance to avenge Hahn's death. In short, it's about revenge. What does this say about Cassie's character and how it has or hasn't changed?

Cassie seems to take a lot of battles seriously, it seems... in one sense I can see how she might feel that way, but in another way it's a bit hypocritical. She's so often the voice of "are we doing the right thing?", but as soon as it's personal to her, it's like it doesn't matter anymore if it's the right thing... *shrugs* But, at the same time, it's very human. A lot of people don't condone the death sentence, but if you kill their loved ones, they might change their mind awfully quickly.

3. The battle between Orca and Sea Blade is oddly reminiscent of the end of the series. When Jake is sure that they are all defeated instead of turning tail he says something that essentially means, "ram the Sea Blade". What do you think about these parallels?

Heh, I never even noticed that before, actually. Very interesting observation.

I thought they were actually pretty interesting. I also liked how Ax was pretty much picking apart their legend in thought-speech as they were telling it.

5. Thoughts about the brief moment that Visser Three and the Animorphs are working together? Do you think that this book shows Visser Three in a state of villain decay?

It's not the first time we've seen them working together for the sake of survival. There was that one time against the Helmacrons, although he still reverted back to "On second thought, I'd rather kill you" that time... Still, I think it shows that no matter how evil you are, survival comes first.

6. At the end of the book, Rachel comments that the Nartec are evil, but Ax reminds her that all of the weapons they used were human weapons. This begs the question: is humanity, as a whole, evil?

I think humanity, as a whole, is more chaotic than evil. Like any sentient race, you find the best and the worst among us, and I think that had they spent more time with the Nartec, they would have found that the same was true for them. But as with anything, the "evil" and "crazy" among them were a lot louder than any "good" or "sane" ones.

7. Anything else? Questions, comments, quotes?

I know this is one of the books that a lot of people disliked. Though I thought it was pretty pointless in the long run, I found it was at least interesting.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
1) The Arn did what they did for the survival of their species. I don't like how they treated the Horks afterwards, but making Horks in order to survive wasn't bad.

2) A lot of Humans change their standards when things are personal. Cassie has the same flaw that many have.

3) I never thought about that either. I guess in both cases, escape just wasn't an option. Many cornered creatures become aggressive when they think escape isn't an option.

4) I liked how Ax picked apart their story as they went along, too.

5) I don't think it's villain decay. I'm not sure what to call it, but I think it shows some intelligence to know when to stop attacking each other, and start attacking a mutual enemy.

6) It's usually the extremists that are the loudest, isn't it? And just about anything taken to the extreme is bad. It's not hard to get a bad impression of something, judging by extremists.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
Oh, I have one more question that I forgot!

The Nartec are in the business of taking sunken ships. What do you think would happen if the Nartec got ahold of the Pemalite ship? Why don't you think they've found it thus far?

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »
Maybe it was too deep? I mean, even before the Chee moved it, the Anis needed the giant squid morphs to get to it. I don't think the Nartec have the resources to get that deep underwater. Even though they're mutated, they were still originally human, and so have human-like limitations.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
Of course they're not comparable. As Anidragon said, the arn knew what they were doing. Visser three didn't. You don't let people do things if they don't know what they're doing. You don't let pizza delivery people design cruise ships.

To be honest, I thought this was unusual for cassie. I didn't see what Cassie was so angry about. Is killing 50 Hork-Bajir that much worse than anything else he's ever done?

I forgot he did that, but yeah that was awesome.

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:46:12 AM »
This book is just awful.  that's all I will say.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
um I dropped this book in the bath tub a month after I bought it

and that was pretty much the end of my fixation on Animorphs when I was a kid.

BUT I WILL GET TO IT THIS TIME. I PROMISE.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 02:22:47 PM »

I don't generally like blaming writers for these things, but for this one I'm going too. Two books from now Cassie will take about the assassin plot on V3 being about revenge and pride and being abhored by it. Both Cassie and Jake came off as totally out of character in all this stuff about revenge, and they way this book (and many ghostwritten books) shift character focus just says to me that this has to be ignored. It's filler, entertaining, but breaks the laws established in the plot moving parts of the book.

4) I loved the idea, wished they'd done more with it

6) Yes.
But that's just my opinion
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »
Oh, I have one more question that I forgot!

The Nartec are in the business of taking sunken ships. What do you think would happen if the Nartec got ahold of the Pemalite ship? Why don't you think they've found it thus far?

I know.
Days late, and in bad form what with 2.0 in the works-but I figured it out and have to say it since no one else did:
They did find it
But they couldn't figure out the code!  ;D
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Liberal Tobias

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
My first "Uuuuuuuuugggggggggg ghhhhhhhhhh" moment here came when they were like "The Pemalite Ship is deep, but not too deep."

Oh, that makes sense, because Erek didn't just move it so deep that nothing but an android could get to it at the end of #27. Because if that were the case, I'd have to wonder what good Erek is.

At least they won't send Cassie to Australia for no good reason later.