Author Topic: Group Re-Read: Megamorphs #4, Back to Before  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Group Re-Read: Megamorphs #4, Back to Before
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »
Summary
What would you do if you had the opportunity to change your life? Not just where you live or who you hang out with but your past, present and future? Sounds like it might be pretty cool, right? Well, that's what Jake thought. He thought it might be easier if the Animorphs had never existed. If they'd never met Elfangor. If they all had the chance to be normal kids.

Jake gets his wish.
But things aren't quite as simple as they seem. Just because the Animorphs no longer exist doesn't mean the Yeerks no longer exist. Except now Jake, Rachel, Tobias, Cassie and Marco can't morph. They don't even know the Yeerks are out there. And it's not such a wonderful life.

Questions

1) Do you blame Jake for taking the Drode up on his offer to alter the timeline? Do you think it was selfish, or understandable?

2) This book gives us an interesting look at the first few books in the series. While everything is, of course, different, I think that the whole Ax-in-the-ocean thing is pretty reliable. It says that Cassie starts hearing Ax's "cries" for help on day seven, only one week after they would have received the morphing power a la normal timeline. And Ax escapes somewhere between day 24 and day 31. Does this jive with your concept of the first few books, or do you think it's off? Why do you think it changed?

3) Any thoughts about Rachel and Marco as a couple?

4) Keeping in mind that this timeline is distorted thanks to good old Cassie, if it were real do you think it is likely that Tobias would have joined The Sharing and possibly even become a voluntary Controller?

5) What do you think was different about this timeline that pushed Visser Three into open war so quickly - something that never happened in the real timeline?

6) What do you think about learning that the Ellimist essentially "stacked the deck", as Drode puts it?

7) Thoughts about Cassie being an anomaly?

8 ) Anything else?

Next time: #41 The Familiar

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
Re: Group Re-Read: Megamorphs #4, Back to Before
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »
6. well we never know for certain that ellimist did "stack the deck". that's just what drode accused, and 99% of the fans believe what drode said... me being in the remaining 1%

1. selfish? nah. I'm surprised he didn't give up (and it basically was giving up) sooner. I would've quit after my first battle

2. Definitely too early. book 1 lasted 4 days (friday night - monday night), and book 3 had lasted over 4 days, possibly even a week. That's already more than 7 days, not including book 2, and the time between each book. ax basically left on the same day as the original timeline because the yeerks would've attacked the same day, and 24-31 days is believable.
as for why the difference, I guess maybe KA didn't think that much about how long book 1 to book 4 would last?

7. I know what most people have to say about this. i personally don't share that view, but I'm not sure why. I guess I just like fictional characters the way they are. of course there are exceptions, but cassie isn't one of them.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »
1) Do you blame Jake for taking the Drode up on his offer to alter the timeline? Do you think it was selfish, or understandable?
No, I actually think they did a really good job setting up exactly why this was the moment he finally cracked. That first chapter was a dark, depressing, KA Applegate breath of fresh air after a quagmire of ghostwriters.

2) This book gives us an interesting look at the first few books in the series. While everything is, of course, different, I think that the whole Ax-in-the-ocean thing is pretty reliable. It says that Cassie starts hearing Ax's "cries" for help on day seven, only one week after they would have received the morphing power a la normal timeline. And Ax escapes somewhere between day 24 and day 31. Does this jive with your concept of the first few books, or do you think it's off? Why do you think it changed?
I think this book actually works really hard not to give you an idea how much time passed between books. I guess what you said was pretty incontrovertible evidence, but even so, Cassie could have been hearing whispers without really knowing what they were as soon as the end of book one. Because that book in itself takes at least three or four days.

Anyway, the thing I was kind of "wut" about was when Rachel and Marco saw Marco's mom, because THAT gave a VERY clear idea how many days it was until #5, but then it turned out that was the first snag in the fabric of the new made-up universe or whatever. I know some of us try to figure out how much time passes in between books but I kind of think we're really not supposed to know. Because, iirc, they drop the "day X" thing after a while, even in this book.

ngl I know there are a healthy amount of Rachel/Tobias fans, but Rachel always seemed out of character to me when they were together. I kind of prefer Marco/Rachel, their flirtation at least feels natural.

4) Keeping in mind that this timeline is distorted thanks to good old Cassie, if it were real do you think it is likely that Tobias would have joined The Sharing and possibly even become a voluntary Controller?
The thing that I think makes this the single best Megamorphs book is the fact that Tobias and Ax get a greater proportion of chapters than anyone else, and the "split up the team" tendency the MM books had is actually natural and makes sense here. This is a character-driven book. We get to explore what these people would do if they weren't in a team. It's the single best hypothetical, in terms of storytelling capacity and character development, in the entire series.

5) What do you think was different about this timeline that pushed Visser Three into open war so quickly - something that never happened in the real timeline?
Ax

6) What do you think about learning that the Ellimist essentially "stacked the deck", as Drode puts it?
I think it was the most interesting and thought-provoking deus ex machina in the series.

My favorite paragraph in the entire series was the one where she was dead for five seconds.

8 ) Anything else?
Not right now but if I think of anything I'll come back and edit.

ETA'd: ooh I know no one is going to come back and read this, but I did kind of want to gripe a little about one thing--Ax being badass in this book makes sense, since he was an aristh before he ever met the main characters. But the Animorphs themselves got a good three or four books of badass development before they were mowing down Hork-Bajir and Taxxons on a regular basis. I think this book kind of misses that. And, in a sense, it's probably okay, since it would be kind of jarring in the grand scheme of the series to see Jake command his group like a well-trained military unit in the last book and then bumble his way through this book, but at the same time I was kind of like "why aren't they running away" when that whole thing happened in the mall. And Rachel killing one Hork-Bajir with another Hork-Bajir's decapitated head was DISGUSTINGLY AWESOME and also...really sad :/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:22:57 PM by anijen21 »
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:57 PM »
oh and after reading book 3 again, tobias very clearly said he's been a nothlit for a few weeks. I'd say 3 weeks since tobias definitely said it had been less than a month.

and book 3 defintely lasted a week, because it started on saturday, and ended on a weekend, most likely saturday.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:15:42 PM by morfowt »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
No, I actually think they did a really good job setting up exactly why this was the moment he finally cracked. That first chapter was a dark, depressing, KA Applegate breath of fresh air after a quagmire of ghostwriters.

I think this book actually works really hard not to give you an idea how much time passed between books. I guess what you said was pretty incontrovertible evidence, but even so, Cassie could have been hearing whispers without really knowing what they were as soon as the end of book one. Because that book in itself takes at least three or four days.

Anyway, the thing I was kind of "wut" about was when Rachel and Marco saw Marco's mom, because THAT gave a VERY clear idea how many days it was until #5, but then it turned out that was the first snag in the fabric of the new made-up universe or whatever. I know some of us try to figure out how much time passes in between books but I kind of think we're really not supposed to know. Because, iirc, they drop the "day X" thing after a while, even in this book.

ngl I know there are a healthy amount of Rachel/Tobias fans, but Rachel always seemed out of character to me when they were together. I kind of prefer Marco/Rachel, their flirtation at least feels natural.

The thing that I think makes this the single best Megamorphs book is the fact that Tobias and Ax get a greater proportion of chapters than anyone else, and the "split up the team" tendency the MM books had is actually natural and makes sense here. This is a character-driven book. We get to explore what these people would do if they weren't in a team. It's the single best hypothetical, in terms of storytelling capacity and character development, in the entire series.

Ax

I think it was the most interesting and thought-provoking deus ex machina in the series.

My favorite paragraph in the entire series was the one where she was dead for five seconds.

8 ) Anything else?
Not right now but if I think of anything I'll come back and edit.

I agree with a lot of this. Though I am a Racle/Tobias shipper at heart. I do think Tobias would have become a voluntary controller. Or at the very least not have much motivation to resist.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

Definitely understandable. After everything Jake's been through at this point, having that one moment of weakness and giving in is hardly surprising.

Though the timeline is a bit off, I never really noticed while I was reading. I guess it was just to keep things going at a steady pace?

3) Any thoughts about Rachel and Marco as a couple? Upon my first reading, I was completely against it. Now that I have less ship-loyalties, I find it's kinda cute, and could work.

I think it's definitely possible. He's pretty much exactly the type of person the Sharing targets.

Ax's actions, for one, plus the fact that the invasion was going better without the Animorphs' interference, making the council trust V3 more.

Though it's a Deus Ex Machina, I never really minded due to my love of the Ellimist... But really, it makes a lot of sense, when you think about it.

Well... Let's just say it inspired my 2005 NaNo.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:59:16 PM by AniDragon »
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 08:24:26 PM »
At last
1)Totally understandable; kids had a hard time, but he's still only human. And still only a kid. Feel for the boy

2)I'd push it back about a week or two, other wise the books would have been 2 days a pieces, not how it goes.

3)Cute, but couldn't last even without an intergalactic war. Eventually Rachel would shove him off a cliff.

4) Joining Sharing, sure, becoming a controller, maybe, but I don't like calling this voluntary: he walked into it yes, but he spent his time complaining in the back of his head, I'm assuming during feedings he was stuck in a cage, not wondering around the pool watching Sienfeld.  I just can't call that voluntary, as soon as he realized what was really happening he wanted out. Not truly voluntary imo

5)You know, I was gonna say something else, but Anijen's probably right; Ax

6) We'll get to that

7) Preparing for rant (jen, btw, hi-friggin'-larious)

And
8 ) I hate this book. Truly, I do; I complain and critize about other things, but this book, because of the penultimate chapter, it nearly breaks the series for me every time I read it.
And it's why I hate Cassie.
She's the best morpher, okay. She has emotional insight the others lack; okay. Her ideas and skills arguably have contributed to the success of the Animorphs more than any other individuals action; okay. She's a space time anomaly that grounds reality itself: no. No. no no no no nonononononononono. 1 makes no sense, 2 so unfair, why her of all. If you're gonna reply with what I think you're gonna reply with, let me hit up my first rant before you do:

guh. He stacked the deck. This isn't an argument, read between the lines, and it's clear the Ellimist set it all up however long ago, and that I don't like it. This is some mysterious suprahuman being saying I'm gonna put person A and see to it that they live out life this way. It's destiny, it's fate, it's divine will, whatever you call it, it is not what it was promised to be for 4 years up to this point; 5 random kids out saving the world. It's the Ellimist wonder team of selected beings because they are "special" even before this begins. Everyone has a purpose that is preordained and I do not like that. Up till this point, I always liked the Ellimist and how he was used, but at the end of this book he is given too much influence and really, it breaks my heart, cuz it says there's always someone out there setting the path, and even if they can't help you get to the end, they make sure you walk it till you're done. I don't like that. To me, that's irradication of freewill more total than anything the Yeerks could do.
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline dolphin4077

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »

8 ) I hate this book. Truly, I do; I complain and critize about other things, but this book, because of the penultimate chapter, it nearly breaks the series for me every time I read it.
And it's why I hate Cassie.
She's the best morpher, okay. She has emotional insight the others lack; okay. Her ideas and skills arguably have contributed to the success of the Animorphs more than any other individuals action; okay. She's a space time anomaly that grounds reality itself: no. No. no no no no nonononononononono.

RYTX, you definitely captured my feelings on the subject. 

For me this was a waste of a book.  It was like watching It's A Wonderful Life, but George Bailey forgets everything he learns.   

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
am I the only one who doesn't hate this book?

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
I do actually like the idea that he stacked the deck, because the whole theme of the Ellemist and Crayak is that they're playing a game and setting pieces across the board. That doesn't irradicate free will. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. The Ellemist set it up, but he couldn't make them do everything that they did.

I don't see the point in having Cassie be an anomoly. She could have written it where a similar thing happened, and they wound up taking control of the Bladeship, killing Visser Three, and blasting the pool Ship at the cost of their live. Then Drode would have still changed everything back because the Yeerks were supposed to win in that timeline. The sub-space anomoly thing doesn't make sense. There is nothing like it before or after in the series, and there is no explanation for why she is like that. It's a blatant dues ex machina. Probably the most blatant in the entire series.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

No it's my favorite megamorphs

I just hate the end

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:10 PM »
It actually has my favorite cover, because you can see all the Anis with their battlemorphs. Except Marco. Don't know why his animal is the cobra.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »

I just hate the end

I agree. This is my favorite Megamorphs, and I love it all the way up until the very end. And I just pretend that part didn't happen. :)

I do love the cover art for this one, though. It's awesome. My favorite human-Tobias too.

I just hate the end

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »

I just hate the end
ok... am I the only one who liked the entire book, including the end part?

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »
mmm, knew I forgot somethings in my rant.
This is a good book; it's well written, a good plot, it's interesting, and aside from the cobra has the best cover. Not my favorite, but good no doubt. I hate it not for what it is, but for what it does. Take out the second to last chapter, leave all of that totally unexplained, and I'll ignore the plot hole in it's wake and call it the Bible.
And I'd argue that horse saying chad; I problem is that their set up, what they do once they're set up is irrevalent, the fact that they're set up, and that Cassie's anomaly guarantees that they have to be set up, I can only see that as being a pawn. Dance around in circles on you're square all you want, you ain't movin till the big hand decides, and that's bad enough to me

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »
I'll just let that go. I don't want to get into a discussion on free will, fate, and all that complex stuff. I do believe in the saying, but not everyone has to.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
Anijen summed it up pretty well for me. It was understandable and nicely written in a way that didn't really feel like Jake was truly giving in.
What's really surprising is how Jake held it well for that long!
It begs the question of where exactly this story falls in the series. If you think about it, this could have taken place ANYWHERE AFTER the Anis meet The Cryak.

I think it's sound. Given that Jake's decision caused a change in everything the Anis would have normally experienced as we learnt through the series. Cassie still being able to 'hear' Ax's Mirrowave calls, plays right into the character, suggesting that it wasn't the morphing power that made her para-sensitive.

It was the lighter note of the story, wasn't it?! Something really humorous about Rachel and Marco chasing after Marco's 'dead' mum on their long-awaited date.

Sadly, yes. He went down a really dark path in the story, yes. I think his story here was very accurate. But with or without Cassie, Tobias was a fragile individual who was going through some tough circumstances, and the Yeerks were growing strong in his city, so he would have ultimately been led there.

Well, an Andalite survivor was operating in the open, jeopardizing their Infiltration. With the humans aware, there was no point doing a slow and sneaky invasion, really.

This is a development that really put me off. I don't like the idea of these powerful beings having all these moves planned when it comes to human beings and dealings. I think humans are a lot more complex and unpredictable than these big guns in the Universe think.

...it's clear the Ellimist set it all up however long ago, and that I don't like it. This is some mysterious suprahuman being saying I'm gonna put person A and see to it that they live out life this way. It's destiny, it's fate, it's divine will, whatever you call it, it is not what it was promised to be for 4 years up to this point; 5 random kids out saving the world. It's the Ellimist wonder team of selected beings because they are "special" even before this begins. Everyone has a purpose that is preordained and I do not like that. Up till this point, I always liked the Ellimist and how he was used, but at the end of this book he is given too much influence and really, it breaks my heart, cuz it says there's always someone out there setting the path, and even if they can't help you get to the end, they make sure you walk it till you're done. I don't like that. To me, that's irradication of freewill more total than anything the Yeerks could do.
Agreed! Personally, I liked thinking that the Anis were a natural, but random coincidence all along. As the Ellimist put it to Rachel: "A contribution of the human race." Otherwise it makes the big scheme of things just plain absurd.

It kinda makes sense to have this uniqueness within Cassie. I know it's some heavy stuff we are lead to believe here. But I thought this concept added depth to the character, whom some readers might have been otherwise been taking her as the most wimpy and weak of the Anis. Suddenly she's got a lot to contribute to the team. If it wasn't for Cassie in this story, it would have been the end of the Anis and victory for the Yeerks, really.

...I'd argue that horse saying chad; I problem is that their set up, what they do once they're set up is irrevalent, the fact that they're set up, and that Cassie's anomaly guarantees that they have to be set up, I can only see that as being a pawn. Dance around in circles on you're square all you want, you ain't movin till the big hand decides, and that's bad enough to me
Beautiful, RYTX! You are verbalizing my thoughts! I LIKE THE WAY THIS DUDE THINKS!

8 ) Anything else?
It would have been interesting to have been given a little further insight into other characters in the series (eg:. The Chee, Chapman, Jara-Hamee, and even Visser One) whose point of views in this story wouldn't have been altered, given that Jake's decision wouldn't have had a direct impact in their agenda in the series.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:35 PM »
Changing gears a little bit....did anyone else think it was odd that MM1 is the ONLY one that actually happened? All of the other Megamorphs deal with weird time distortions and at the end didn't actually happen or aren't remembered or...something. I guess MM2 did technically happen, but they can't use their morphs, so it isn't the same.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »
That is weird. I don't know why she did that. That's part of why I like 1 so much, is because the "reset button" wasn't used. Though I guess even it had no great bearing on the plot because the veleek never made a return or anything like that. Can you imagine if a few of those individual creatures survived, and maybe it turned on the Yeerks as well as the Anis or something?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
That is odd
and kinda annoying
Espcieally if you consider that some of the plot is in a sense repeated in 34 and 39 (the whale drop and the tracking, respectively)
Both Cassie books by the way. In fact, except for MM2, megamorphs in general seem to make Cassie pivital to resolving the big problem of the book.
Also, fun fact (why am I never up for Animaster?) Cassie has the last line of spoken dialogue in all MM's except 4. always something insightful or meaning full too.
 ;D

Offline anijen21

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
I know I hate that! Cassie always gets the final got-dam word. :/

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »
I never noticed that, but it's not surpriing seeing how KA uses Cassie to vocalize her views in the series.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
Cassie is, really, the spirit/heart of the series, guys. If you really think about it, she's KA's Deep & Meaningful medium in the stories.

Jake is leadership.
Marco is humour.
Rachel is boldness and carefree.
Tobias is freedom.
Ax is the foreign.

Offline WlkngCntradctn

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 01:21:15 AM »
For #2, about the timeline, my big gripenwas that Ax didn't acquire the shark until well after Cassie got the messages, when in book 4 he already had it before they got down there, and seemed to me to have had it for a little while.

Anijen summed it up pretty well for me. It was understandable and nicely written in a way that didn't really feel like Jake was truly giving in.
What's really surprising is how Jake held it well for that long!
It begs the question of where exactly this story falls in the series. If you think about it, this could have taken place ANYWHERE AFTER the Anis meet The Cryak.

Actually, since Jake recognizes the Drode, wouldn't it have to be after book 27?