Author Topic: Jayne Miller: Paranormal Investigations (An RPG)  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Jax

• "Danger" could be my middle name, but it's "Dylan"
Jayne Miller: Paranormal Investigations (An RPG)
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:16:21 PM »
Demons downstairs? Aliens in the Attic? Poltergeists in the pantry? We at Miller investigations can help you! Specializing in the paranormal, we handle the things that bump in the night. From Demons from another dimension, to aliens from Alpha Centuri, we can help you!

Jayne Miller runs a paranormal investigation office, but there's only so much one woman can handle. That being the case she has decided to put an ad in the paper for assistants. Must be willing to work late nights and early mornings.

Alright, so here are the guidelines:

1. You can't be any sort of supernatural being (Alien, Demon, Human embodiment of a star...)

2. I will only pick 4 characters, not including Jayne. (I had to get her to sign the release somehow...)

3. Your first post will be the interview with Jayne.

4. I will start all story arcs and if I feel that the rp is getting off track I will post something to bring it back on focus. (don't worry, I have a very wide definition of off-track)

5. no god-modding, the only exception being me, and that is only if I have to.

6. once there are at least 4 characters (Jayne +3 others) I will start the plot)

7. Post character bios first, using this form:

Name:
Appearance: (Eye color, hight, ect.)
Special Skills:
Bio:
Style: (Describe how your character dresses.)
Other: (Anything that doesn't fall under other categories.)

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
Re: Jayne Miller: Paranormal Investigations (An RPG)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
1. You can't be any sort of supernatural being (Alien, Demon, Human embodiment of a star...)

A bit tetchy, now, are we?  ;)

Name: Arcadia (Call me Cady) Gibson
Appearance: Grey eyes, black hair, pale-ish skin, short and delicate-looking, with 'librarian glasses', she looks like something straight out of a Jane Austen book.
Special Skills: Technical and Tactical Genius, and the ability to enter a room completely unnoticed, by virtue of sheer normalcy. Nobody turns their head when Cady walks by, so no one would suspect her of ANYTHING. She has the natural appearance of someone completely harmless and utterly trustworthy.

Bio: Cady's parents always payed more attention to her three older siblings, never knowing that their youngest child was infinitely more remarkable than her elders. From a very young age, Cady spent all her free time at the town library, absorbing information. An old family friend taught her Chess and other games of strategy, and by age 12 her brain was a carefully honed instrument for manipulating other people. She can trick the unsuspecting into doing almost anything, because she looks so perfectly normal, harmless, and innocent that they'd NEVER distrust her.

Style: Subtle...Cady wears simple blue jeans, white tennis shoes, and a grey t-shirt under a loose denim jacket. She wears a waterproof digital wristwatch and a cross pendant at her throat. Nothing even remotely original or out-of-the-ordinary.

Other: Cady carries an assortment of small knives, screwdrivers, lock-picks, and a garrot wire in the pockets of her coat and pants, "just in case". Her glasses are actually a very sensitive micro-computer, with built-in infrared, ultraviolet, and night-vision cameras that let her see in any or no light. The earpieces of the glasses use bone-conduction to funnel even the tiniest sounds to her ears, and they can pick up radio. The necklace is a microphone that allows her to silently subvocalize, so that it doesn't even look like she is speaking. Anyone with a receiver (such as her glasses) can hear what she says, but she's never had a reason to give anyone a receiver. Her watch is a watch. Period.
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Jax

• "Danger" could be my middle name, but it's "Dylan"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:57:19 PM »
It was such a good example! ;D

So there's one, two or three more! Go ahead and post your interview Este.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 08:16:14 PM »
"And that was how I saved the day!" The woman said.

"That is a very... um... interesting story, Miss Santos was it?" I said, trying desperately not to puke. "Well I'll call you if You get the position." Thankfully Miss Santos simply nodded and walked out of the office. I walked out into the lobby with a resume in hand.

"Arcadia Gibson?" I asked.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
"Arcadia Gibson?" A woman's voice called.

I straightened my jacket and stepped in, taking my seat across from her.
"Cady. Just Cady."

(Sorry, but I leave tomorrow. I'm gone 'til Tuesday evening. Bye!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:09:31 PM by Estelore »
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »
(I jst noticed D didn't put up the profile for me... oh well, the only thing that really matters is that Jayne notices things most people don't and has well developed photographic memory. The rest will be revealed here and in D's book! Once he writes it...)

"Cady then." I said smiling. The girl looked like she'd just walked out of a Jane Austen book; Grey eyes, black hair, pale-ish skin, short and delicate-looking. She could probably walk into just about any room and no one would even notice. But, if they bothered to look, they might just notice that her glasses looked, off. Upon further inspection they might also notice the odd creases on the sleeves of her jacket, blade shaped creases. Of course with how well she had hidden them it stood to reason that she could use them before most people noticed.

I sat behind the desk and she took a seat across from me. Looking directly at her I realized that my eyes almost wanted to slip away. With everything I'd just seen I decided to skip the pleasantries.

"So, Cady, how many weapons do you have on you anyway? And is the perception filter natural, magical, or technological? Acctually, never mind that last one, it's to weak to be tech and that kind of magic produces an unmistakable pine scent." I said.

(For the record, when anyone writes their interview, just start with me calling your name and go through the whole thing, including my bits. It's faster that way.)

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • I'm sitting on Jesse because he is comfy! XD
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 07:03:54 AM »
Name: Nichole Matthews
Appearance: Hazel eyes hidden behind blue-rimmed glasses, short brown curly hair with deep red bangs and blond highlights,--achieved only through a really good hairstylist that is not her--short, built like a brick-house, and pleasantly overweight.
Special Skills: She comes from a long line of, well, supernaturally inclined people. Basically, she has no trouble seeing the supernatural without her glasses. Unfortunately, she's so nearsighted, that it severely limits her ability to actually see anyone clearly, so ghosts, people, and weird aliens all look alike. Mostly. She also knows the basics of exorcism, and ghosts seem to flee in her presence.
Bio: Having grown up an only child, her parents watched her very closely. Their first worry came when reports of a ghost walking around their new neighborhood, including her mother's brother. However, the ghost left the same day that the family brought home their new baby girl and never returned. Then, there was the monsters in the closet. They were her first friends in the new house. After she showed her authority by following her father's direction to tell them to "go away", the monsters and her became close friends. Her mother contacted her sister and asked her to create a formula or something that would stop these supernatural abilities. Finally, at the age of nine, Nichole's aunt contacted the family about a liquid that would help. As luck would have it, she had just been tested for glasses a few weeks earlier. So, the girl was happy because the supernatural stopped bugging her while she was reading, and her parents were happy because their daughter was finally "normal". Mostly. She still watches the sky for aliens.
Style: Since she doesn't give much thought to dress in the morning, she dresses in whatever's relatively clean. If that happens to be last week's jeans and a t-shirt, so be it. Sometimes the t-shirt is nicer than other times, but it's her basic daily wear. The sleeves are always short-sleeved, even in winter. She also wears the same pair of black sandals or black shoes, depending on the time of the year. However, for an interview and/or a job, she dresses appropriately, following the dress code as best as she can.
Other: She is never seen without her pepper-spray. She is also currently looking into applying for a carry permit to be able to carry a gun. She vaguely remembers the basics of karate (please forgive me if I misspelled that...) and can pull off complex moves in ballet, but those aren't terribly useful skills, since the karate is so old she can't even remember the fighting stance and...well, let's face it. It's ballet.
I'm not real anymore. I am an illusion. -Rob Thomas, "I am an Illusion"

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
(Last post before I leave, so it can't be long. Sorry and g'bye! See ya' Tuesday evening!)

I smiled internally at the woman's unnatural observational skills, but the smile didn't make it to my face.
I only ever smile for two reasons: victory and manipulation. When I feel like being honest, the best expression is no expression at all.

"Well, Ms. Miller, that depends on your definition of 'weapon'. Every item on my person could potentially kill someone. If you just mean blades and such," I did a mental tally, "then there are sixteen knives of various sizes, as well as six different scew-drivers, a set of fairly sharp lock-picks, and a metre of hi-tension piano wire, in the backing of my wristwatch. What else would you like to know?"

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:30:39 PM »
I smiled. "Well, that could come in handy, having someone who can sneak whatever they want, wherever. Cady Gibson, consider yourself hired. You start Wendsday."

(Traycon, accepted. Just out up an interview post, you can control my responses and questions. If I see anything that doesn't work I'll let you know, but otherwise you should be good.)

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »
((Since everyone's posting in first person, I suppose I will too. And I will do my best at controlling your character. Also I'm just going to take the couple of questions you asked in the last post and use them because I know they'll be in character.  ;D))

I checked my watch for the umteenth time since I had arrived. A minute had passed. I sighed deeply, a little annoyed at myself for having come twenty minutes early for a job that I just knew I wasn't going to get. Still, that didn't mean I had to say I wasn't going to try. I mean, for someone as interested in paranormal activity as I was, this was the perfect job.
That thought didn't make me feel any better. I shifted my weight, trying to relax without seeming too relaxed. I felt out of place in the skirt, and the suit jacket was making me hot. I watched, trying not to act too interested, as another interviewee left. I straitened myself, tugging on the jacket and smoothing it out. Finally, I heard the woman call, "Nichole Matthews?" I resisted the urge to jump and shout "Me, me! It's me!" Instead I walked towards her calmly and smiled.
"Hi. I'm Nichole." I stuck out my hand.
"Jayne Miller," the woman replied. We traded grips. Then I followed her into a smaller room. I waited for her to indicate a chair for me before sitting, keeping my ankles crossed and trying to remember that ever important word humans like to call breathing.
Per her questioning, I answered basic questions one would expect in an interview. Things like why do you want this job, what are you going to do with your life, ect. Then the questions got a little odd...
"So, do you carry any weapons?" Miss Miller asked.
I blinked, staring at her for about half a minute. "Weapons? Like guns?"
"Guns, knives, things of that nature."
"Erm...I have pepper spray. And I'm going to apply for a carry permit for a gun. Other than that...no...Do I need other weapons for the job?"
"I'll let you know. Can you start Wednesday?"
"Y-Yes I can."
"Good. Consider yourself hired."
"Thank you, so much!" I said, standing and nearly toppling the chair. I flushed a bit, righting the chair. "Oh, do you have a certain dress code?"
((I can't actually answer that one...))

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
I passed a rather...enthusiast ic...young woman, as I left the office building. As I rounded the corner and headed for the bus stop, I softly chuckled to myself.
The fact was, I was worse than useless in a serious fight, but I was probably the most skilled tech that Ms. Miller would ever meet. I boarded the bus and took my seat, already pulling the facing and backing off my watch.
In the three minutes that it took for the bus to drop me off at my apartment complex, I had rigged my watch with three new and useful applications and replaced the battery. Along with the concealed garrote, I had installed two tiny pins, each coated with a different chemical. The first was pure cyanide, set on a spring. Instant murder or suicide, as necessary. The second was epinephrine, set to instantly puncture the nearest vein if the new sensor detected that my heartbeat had stopped for more than five seconds.
It was a sufficient mixture to restart a stopped heart. Also sufficient to cause cardiac arrest in a heart already beating.

The third application was a micro-taser, with enough current and voltage to kill, at short range.

You can never be too careful.

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »
Name: Jeff Long
Appearance: 5'5, Short brown hair, gray eyes, Always wears a shirt with some movie logo or another on it. Has a small black cross tattooed into the side of his left arm.
Special Skills: Expert on most supernatural things. Whatever he doesn't know from life-experience, he consults the books/internet on. Knows some martial arts and military tactics and uses them to his advantage while hunting down and fighting supernatural beings.
Bio: Used to be a firm disbeliever in all things supernatural until all his friends were killed by an evil spirit when it was accidentally summoned during a night of Ouji-Board playing. Unable to trap the spirit again, he ran home, where it followed him and killed his parents. He since devoted his life to hunting down and killing supernatural beings of all kinds and always acted alone, until he saw the ad in the paper for this job and decided to apply for it, hoping to make some income doing what he does.
Style: Movie freak, and thus he wears shirts with movie logos on them most of the time. Also loves wearing muscle shirts and tank tops, even in the middle of winter, although he's not an idiot and wears them UNDER a winter jacket at that time of year.
Other: He grew up in a military family, so he knows some military skills that could come in handy, and before his life went to hell, he spent a few years in a Tae-Kwon-Do class, so he knows some martial arts but is nowhere near an expert on them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:03:36 PM by Slushie Man »

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
(I don't know where you all got the idea that there was going to be a lot of action. This is a mystery RP, meaning most of the time we're just trying to figure out what's going on. It's not like Buffy where we're trying to stop the bad guys, more like Scooby Doo, only with real monsters and such. So if that's why you're joining, you might want to rethink it. That being said, the character is accepted because I think he has potential, but I'm going to write the interview because I haven't written much yet.)

Offline Slushie Man

• Just a passing-through Nerd
  • Gold Donor
    • The B-Movie Shelf
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »
Actually, apart from the whole murdering ghost aspect, I modeled him after myself. The whole martial arts/military thing is all stuff that's true for myself, so I added it in there. it really doesn't have to be an important aspect, I just needed something to flesh my character sheet out a bit, so I used some stuff from my own life for it.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
My character is more like a cross between Machiavelli, Mycroft Holmes, and The Schwa from Shusterman's The Schwa Was Here...but female...so...me, but more subtle.  ;D

Offline traycon3

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »
My character is also based off of myself. Like to a "t". (That joke only makes me smile because my first name starts with a "T", along with my three cats. No, I'm not a crazy cat lady. Yet.) The only difference is that I can't actually see ghosts. And the ghost that's described in the neighborhood was real, but all I know is that it disappeared before I was born. I don't know the exact date. (Plus, there weren't actually any monsters in my closet, but try telling that to the two three-year-old boys I scared off when I was about two.) But the basic description is me.

Offline V2113

• Recently Returned Raffian, RRR
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:21 PM »
Umm. Is this RPG still going on? If so here's my bio.

Name: Veronica Johnson

Appearence: Tall; brown hair down to waist; trusting blue eyes that never give away anything for they always look trustworthy and slightly sad; wears a bracelet that she was given by her grandmother and has worn it since age ten; has a movie star smile, even though nobody notices.

Special Skills: Has remarkable knowledge of all things supernatural. Communicates with her late friend, Lily, frequently. She is very good with blades.

Bio: Is a really kind girl, but has a tendancy to be a little imature. Both parents killed in car crash when she was sixteen and she took care of herself and her little sister Anna ever since. Loves her late night visits with her late friend Lily. Lily died in a car crash when she was seventeen. Lily tells her about many things that will happen in the future so she can find the right path and not end up dying, at least not until Anna is old enough. Lily told her about the ad and told her to take it. She took it. She has a bad habit of biting her nails, nervous or not. She has learned not to act how she feels. She loves Animorphs.

Style: Depends on the day. She usually wears dark blue jeans with a rip at the knee, a t-shirt with an Animorphs logo that she got out of the books, black sneakers, and a dark blue headband. On more formal occasions she would wear a dark blue skirt down to her knees, a plain blue t-shirt, a pair of black heels, and a dark blue bow hair tie. She always wears one braid. She wears clear lip gloss, a little bit of light pink blush, a small amount of light blue eyeshadow, and black mascara. Her nails are almost always clean, but she sometimes has them painted light blue. She also always carries a large canvas blue bag with an Animorphs logo on it.

Other: She has five knives in her bag: two small ones and three longer ones, more like swords. she also keeps her more... everyday normal people stuf in there. She ALWAYS has three of the animorphs books. 13, 1, and 23.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:51:29 PM by tobiasfan21 »
I used to be V, before that I was Tobiasfan21. Then I disappeared for several months after being kidnapped by the Twilight series. Don't make me talk about it, it was horrible. Now, I'm V2113.

I am currently a Heroes fan who enjoys writing more than anything in the world.