Author Topic: Garatrons speed  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

Garatrons speed
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
<Doyouthinkthegaratr onsspeedhasanything todowiththeearthsgr avitationalpull?maybeitwasabletobes ofast becausetheearthsgra vitityismuchweakert henthenormalstrongg ravityonitshomeworl d?>

<Butifthisisthecaset heniguessitwouldhav enotevovletobeleana ndslenderlikeananad liateifthegravitati onalpullonitsnatura l planetisreallystron g.>

;D

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
Re: Garatrons speed
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
A novel concept . . . though that is probably, if anything, a single factor of many resulting the Garatron's speed.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
I honestly doubt this is the case. If the gravity were stronger, they would receive a massive boost in strength on our planet, and only a small speed boost. Either way, it would in no way improve their reflexes and reaction time. Their body would be proportionally stronger on Earth, but their minds would be no different.

Also, in general, picture the motion of running. Each step is like a small leap, right? Well, if Earth's gravity was that much weaker than on planet Garatron, if they tried to run, those little leaps would turn into massive jumps and they wouldn't really get that far. Think about how human astronauts walk on the moon. Every step basically launches them in the air, and they don't really move that much faster.

Also, if the planet's gravity was that strong, how could the Yeerks establish a base on it? Any controlled species at the time would be immobile, unable to pick up anything, or in the worst case, crushed.

As far as I can think, there are two possible explanations. One is simple - speed was selected for in evolution for millions of years. If a predator gains speed, so will the prey. Two, the atmosphere is incredibly dense. Imagine running through water, then running on land. This also explains the Garatron's shape - aerodynamics would be greatly favored on a planet with such dense air. Maybe the Garatrons run only slightly faster than an Andalite on their own planet, but when put in a thin atmosphere with significantly less drag, they can run much faster.

Still, I think it's a simple fact that they evolved that way. No immediate physical or environmental change can explain why the Garatrons think and speak so fast. If they naturally run that quick, fast reaction time would be expected if there weren't to be running into things all day at that speed.

What does it mean to be free?

Offline Cloak

• Disciple of Weird Al
  • God
  • 188 of 1,657 "Memoirs" books completed
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 11:42:54 AM »
All good points . . . but one question nags me, if the air was denser on the Garatron's homeworld, then it would have to be by a small margin, or else wouldn't they get sick like humans at higher elevations where the air is thinner?  Or I could be completely mistaken.

Book 189: "Shenecron's Pets"
Chapter 4: "First Attempt"
(January 7, 2020)

RAFians Referenced Specifically: Demos.

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:56:17 AM »
The problem with high elevations is the lack of oxygen, not the lack of density.

Perhaps our atmosphere is about equal to the Garatron's in terms of the amount of oxygen (or nitrogen or whatever else they happen to breathe), just lacking in other elements? Maybe their atmosphere is just extremely dense with heavy noble gases, but has the same average ambiance of vital elements?

They have liquids that animals can breathe, because they give up oxygen to the body and accept the carbon dioxide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing (Sorry it's wikipedia, I'm too lazy to go look up real sources)

The problem is that the liquid causes trauma to the lungs. So, the problem with the thick atmosphere idea isn't in the amount of gasses, its how the body accepts the pressure and mass differences, especially in the lungs and blood. (Although even a very dense or very light gas won't cause the physical trauma a liquid will).

Either way, I still support the "they evolved that way" theory. It's lame and basic, but it's the only thing that explains their fast thoughts and reaction times.

What does it mean to be free?

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:47:39 AM »
great, great well thought out replies guys. And do you think that sort of speed the garatrons have is actually biologically possible and safe? for the being which has it? I can think of its metabolisms and adrenaline or whatever going into overdrive, its heart messing up from the strain, not to mention the quick wear and tear of the muscles, filaments and tendons. I mean, the garatron probably would not have this problem as it evloev to be this fast, so the millions of years of evolution has suited its body for this kind of stress.

But,
say if a normal body, like a humans or anadalites were suddenly given the gift of the garatrons speed by the ellimist or a potion or somthing, but without the evolutionary biological safeguards that nature has developed for the garatron, would it be safe for the humans and andalites to use the garatrons speed?

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »
no because you wouldnt have the needed reaction speed.  even in morph they probably wouldnt be able to use it unless they let the garatron brain take over a bit.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
I agree with the russianspy. (Never thought I'd say that. Again)

But also, I haven't mentioned it in the can they exist thread, but Garatrons are the one species that I can't see being physically possible at all.
KA seemed hell bent on keeping the rules of biology, physics and chemistry the same throughout the Ani-verse as they are on earth. And honestly I don't think speeds that fast are possible for a biological organism running.
There are tons of biochemical processes going on and to move that quick you put those processes in overdrive, but they still have a kinetic limit, and can only happen so fast before you are shut down.
If the garatrons moving so fast the whole body is a blur, come on, stand by the interstate some time, cars aren't that fast. Plus it didn't seem to tire. Cheetahs are the prime example, you work that hard you will burn out quick.
They are my favorite example of alien artistic licence in the series; very cool, but really shouldn't be buyable
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline arzwlf

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
the only problem i see is that we assume ALOT about these garatrons, to my knowledge they are only in 1 book in the regular series (the number escapes me) this says alot. for example if they are from a different galaxy they could possibly not be a typical carbon based life form. in our own body there are 3 different types of muscle fibers, slow twitch, fast twitch and hybrid. it's possible in this alien life form there is a type of fiber that allows it rapid movement through a thinner environment (as suggested earlier) without the benefit of the strength to move another object (or lifeform) just some thoughts

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
Well, to an animal (us) that spends it's entire life moving at such a "slow" pace, things would look blurred at that speed. But, take the noble sloth, (:P) if a human were to move that slowly, so slow that moss grows on us, we'd atrophy. Our muscles would say a big "**** YOU!" and go into shut down mode. And yet the sloth manages just fine.(I imagine certain things look blurred to the sloth, that we see clearly.)
And like someone else pointed out, we assume a lot about them, I mean, sure, they may've evolved to be incredibly fast, but, I'm sure if a creature that's naturally fast, really fast,  once it reaches the point of being technologically advanced, would probably want to increase it's natural abilities. Techy speed! :P

I'm not sure if I think it'd be strictly possible, (actually, I really don't think it is, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. :P And they're one of my favourite species. :P)but, at one point, humans thought you'd liquefy your internals organs if you went over 50 MPH. ::)
So, with evolution to start it, and technology to (no pun intended) speed it up, it's theoretically possible to be that fast. (although, strictly speaking, I'd say a complete blur'd be an exaggeration.)

[spoiler] Ugh.Too many ":P"s[/spoiler]

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!