Author Topic: how long exactly is an andalites tail?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

how long exactly is an andalites tail?
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:21:09 AM »
we get descriptions in the books during the battles that makes it seem like the tail could reach wayyy past the andalites head...but from the ax book cover illustrations, it seems like it cant even reach the front of him at all, let alone slash at enemies, unless he turned to face his rear towards them.

The cover of visser makes the tail more believable to its descriptions as in the stories.

I'm thinking that the tail has to be long, like say if the average adult andalite body length (minus the tail), from its buttocks to its front is similar to a small horse, like say, 1.60 meters - 1.80 meters long, then their tail; in order to reach over their head and front body from the buttocks to reach a hork-bajir throat and stuff without having to be right up close in hugging distance, would have to be like, around 3 - 5 meters long?  

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
Re: how long exactly is an andalites tail?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:54:25 AM »
Yeah, I think the reason why Ax's pic is so messed, is because they needed to keep it simple for the picture. His tail might've distracted from the "meat" of the picture. :donno:

I believe that its actually the length of the Visser cover. It only makes sense. Besides, this time they could show an accurate Andalite tail, 'cause that's the focus of the cover art.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Aluminator (Kit)

• Most Ladylike-Robot-superhero-weak ankled Chippendale-loose cannon teleporter-1/64 ninja-not British comedian-also not Steph-Kit in spirit-Sharing member for life-cuddlestorm-bricklayer-necromancer-Hot Dog Day enthusiast!
  • Social Staff
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »
Yeah, the tail has got to be quite long, but I think part of the issue is that the cover art Andalite torsos are longer than described, at least early in the series. If you read the first few books, it seems like the Andalite upper body should include only the human equivalent of the chest upward, rather than a full torso. That makes more sense for the tail from a mechanical standpoint, but I still see the tail as needing to be probably a good 2 Andalite body lengths.

Marie and Abby are my wonderful RAFsisters ^_^
Salem's Story

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:51:04 PM »
I don't know about TWO body lengths, but I can understand 1.5.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline MAtgS

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:26:51 AM »
Wouldn't it make more sense to fight with their backs towards the enemy? They can see behind themselves afterall. Plus it would keep their torsos further away from harm.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 12:37:17 AM by MAtgS »

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:05:40 AM »
yeah i was thinking that too, cuz they could see behind them with their stalk eyes just as well as the front anyway. definately makes more sense.

In fact, that has happened in the ellimist chronicles, when the ellimist went to live with those primitive andalites. there was a scene where a large predator came to kill and eat some of the andalites. all the males of the tribe then ran and spun backwards to jab their blades at the monster.

But i guess that was just a primitive style of tail fighting that got phased out among them, cuz throughout the series, they didn't fight spinning around backwards having thier backside facing the opponents. and im glad that they didn't, cuz it somehow seems less.....cool.   8)

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
I'm thinking that the picture of Ax is like semi-real because really, he is still considered a kid. When your 27 your arms aren't the same length as they were when you were 13. The same basic thing for andalites. When you tail reaches past your head you are considered an adult. Also, isn't it that Ax's fighting stance is sideways. So, either way, wether it's 2 body lenthes or 1.5 (which I think is a bit more be livable) if your the right way then you can reach farther.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
i always envisioned about this length:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline powertrash

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 02:32:19 AM »
I feel like this is a riddle: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Why did the ellimist cross the road? How long is an Andalite's tail?

I always assumed they were probably only a slight bit longer than their body.
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
[G.K. Chesterton]

esplin

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
Well the andalites with longer tails were the 'fittest' in survival of the fittest. 
They probably evolved longer and longer tails because the ones with longer tails could survive better. 
Once they started fighting more face to face the long-tail gene would probably have become even MORE important (now they have to reach the target AND over their heads/body).

Offline Ferahgo

• My Artwork
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
Here's an excellent piece of fanart on Deviantart that I think does a good job showing a probable length for Andalite tails.

http://osandstorrm.deviantart.com/art/Andalite-Profile-4229634