Author Topic: andalite female prince??  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Acalio-Laron-Jaham

andalite female prince??
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
in #38 aloth or someone tells ax that there are female ariths in the military now.

So, when the female aristh graduates to a warrior, and then gets promoted to equivalent of a prince, what would she be called? 'prince' or 'princess'?

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: andalite female prince??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
That is IF they let the females get up that far. It's hard to tell, becuase the word Prince means different things for Andalites and Humans. Princess may not be the female word for Prince to andalites.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:07:38 PM »
I don't know if the first part is really true though.
Estrid remains are only example, and was the reference for that, but that was a ploy. There's no other example, and therefore may be no legitimacy to any other female being a true member of the military, aristh or otherwise
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:06:44 PM »
That is IF they let the females get up that far. It's hard to tell, becuase the word Prince means different things for Andalites and Humans. Princess may not be the female word for Prince to andalites.

for andalites, it seems like the word "prince" simply entitles the word "leader".

it would be the same as military commander, boss, or simply a person you follow.

from what i can tell, it doesn't have the entitlement of Royalty that humans attached to the world as i have only seen it used in military terms through out the series.
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Without whom, we would all be lost...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 05:11:25 PM »
I agree with RYTX... There's really no reason (since the war ended fairly soon after that incident) to think that females in the rigidly structured Andalite society could advance very far in the military...

Also, Estrid was an extremely talented and well connected Andalite female, but she was still only an Aristh... And look at what she had already overcome... Massive sexism not just in the military, but in the scientific community as well... It is unlikely that anytime in the near future (even with the necessities of the short-lived rest of the Yeerk conflict) Andalite females would branch out to the male-dominated spheres of society... (America took like, 75 years to make that kind of progress AFTER an organized women's rights movement began...)
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline anijen21

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
Prince is a rank, not a title. There are Lords and Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses, but there's no Captians and Captainesses or Majors and Majoresses. She'd just be a Prince.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:44 PM »
actually, I'm working under the impression that Estrid wasn't really an aristh, and that was all a lie. Personally I doubt there is any authorized and honest female involvement in the Andalite military
And now a thought:
Seeing as thought speak isn't really "words" it seems odd that a military rank was called prince in translation.
Maybe I'm stretching it since I'm reading LOTR, but I sense some more tolkien-isms at work: Princes were royalty, but also fighters and commanders of their armies.
Just putting it out there
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:14:20 PM by RYTX »

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
i think a female 'prince' title would work just fine, assuming one would achieve such status.

VisserZer0

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »
It said that Estrid was made an "honorary" aristh. I think the only female aristh was Estrid because Andalites don't seem very keen on letting females get very involved in the military.

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
I agree with RYTX... There's really no reason (since the war ended fairly soon after that incident) to think that females in the rigidly structured Andalite society could advance very far in the military...

Also, Estrid was an extremely talented and well connected Andalite female, but she was still only an Aristh... And look at what she had already overcome... Massive sexism not just in the military, but in the scientific community as well... It is unlikely that anytime in the near future (even with the necessities of the short-lived rest of the Yeerk conflict) Andalite females would branch out to the male-dominated spheres of society... (America took like, 75 years to make that kind of progress AFTER an organized women's rights movement began...)

Weren't Andalite females traditionally scientists, though? I think I remember Aldrea mentioning something about that in HBC... That females were fairly common as scientist.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »
That's probably true enough, Estrid's problem were likely greater than they might have been because: 1) She was young and 2) She was a genius.
Smart scientist is one thing. Woman, hell, really girl, you can out smart you may not make an old man very in a male centered society. Work with, not be out done by
But Estrid was young, uber-smart, and could probably beat up a few of the boys in her physics classes. She's a triple threat! Probably made life extra rough on her :-\

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
Yeah Prince didn't appear to have anything to do with royalty to them, it was simply a rank in their military system. Females had never been allowed in the military before, so they wouldn't have any reason for having a female equivalent word before then. Therefore, we can assume they would have kept the word Prince.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Green armadillo ette

• If at first you don't  succeed, redefine success.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
Let's say hypothetically thought-speech was a spoken language because it is definitely a written one ( Jake says he saw symbols in Elfangor's fighter). In that case, someone could have screwed-up the translation or it could have been the next-closest-thing in English to the andalite's language. There are mentions of andalite words through out the series. So yeah it would be a female Prince.
Last night, I laid back in my bed staring up at the stars, and I thought to myself ... I probably should fix that hole in my roof.