Author Topic: Sentences you'll never forget  (Read 30341 times)

Offline Tim Bruening

Re: Sentences you'll never forget
« Reply #255 on: August 20, 2015, 12:06:45 AM »
PP 146-147 of "The Reaction", during the aftermath of the great melee in the TV studio involving a crocodile, Rachel bear, Cassie squirrel, Marco Llama, and Ax.  Cassie had turned off the lights to help hide the Animorph secret.  Cassie then morphs into Rachel and is talking to a producer.  Cassie/Rachel: Yeah, I'm glad it (the crocodile) didn't get me.  I'm getting out of here.  I have to find my Dad.  He's here somewhere.  It would help if someone would like, you know, get things organized.

Producer: Andalite!

Cassie: Yeah, a light would be helpful, too.

I like that pun!

Offline Redtailednothlit

« Reply #256 on: August 20, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
one of my absolute favorite animorphs quotes (though I'll be the first to admit, that I can't really pick a favorite, there are too many). Not only is this passage so deep and sad and bittersweet, but it's so well written. i love the juxtaposition of how the ellimist says her life mattered, and then the next sentence has a "small" strand of space time turning into nothingness. Gives me chills.

This is the epilogue from the Ellimist Chronicles:

I told the dying human, “Now you know who I am. What I am.”

”Yeah, You were a kid. Like me in some ways, a kid who got in way too deep and couldn’t get back out.”

”A kid.”

”You were trapped. You still are. I’ve been trapped.”

”Yes,” I said.

”Was I one of your game pieces? Were all six of us just game pieces?”

I considered that for a moment. Who is to say who is piece and who is player? How often had I wondered whether I myself was just a game piece in a still larger game whose players laughed at my pretensions?

”I did not cause you to be one of the six. You are … you were … a happy accident. An unwitting contribution from the human race to its own survival.”

The human was silent. No begging, no pleading for life. At the end, acceptance came even to this strong, turbulent spirit. “You said I could ask one more question.”

”Yes.”

”I can’t ask if we win, I can’t ask if it will all turn out okay.”

”I don’t know those answers.”

”Okay, then answer this, Ellimist: Did I… did I make a difference? My life, and my … my death … was I worth it? Did my life really matter?”

”Yes. You were brave. You were strong. You were good. You mattered.”

”Yeah. Okay, then. Okay, then.”

A small strand of space-time went dark and coiled into nothingness.

Having finished the series but not read the EC,  this quote makes it really obvious who dies. I mean, in one of the books (I want to say MM4) the Drode states that Tobias, Marco, Cassie and Ax were chosen to be in the team by the Ellimist. This leaves two characters left, Jake and Rachel, who the Ellimist says were "happy accidents". It doesn't take a genius to work out who it is that dies.

Offline YeerkSalad

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • h
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2015, 06:59:41 AM »
I don't remember that, but I believe you. I knew who died before I read #13, but that scene still hit me hard.
yeah

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
that quote from the epilogue gave me chills the first time I read it, and it just gave me chills again reading it now
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?