Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #40 The Other  (Read 9377 times)

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
Re: Group Re-Read: #40 The Other
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Not to rush ya or anything jess, but subtlty didn't work, and I can't ignore the smart-mouth in me any longer

:tldr:

:P :P

Er....I'll have the next one up tonight *runs*

Longest
Night
Ever
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:34:48 PM by RYTX »
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Semeir-Cooraf-Armaheen

• <No fear.>
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:15 PM »
I just read this book today, and I'm so tempted to write up a fanfic about Gafinilan's last few days. Somehow, I can see Cassie being the one who visits and helps him through it. She seems to be the "resident veterinarian" and I can just see her taking bags of IV morphine to help Ganfinilan through the worst pain. She could tell Mertil how to do it and then leave them alone with it.

I am sure Gafinilan would accept the pain relief if it meant he had a more dignified passing. Poor guy.

Btw, I've seen Clydesdales up close--they are HUGE horses, now add the human-like torso to that height and Gafinilan is one huge honkin' Andalite.

I always imagined Andalites with horse bodies like Andalusians, but after reading this I think the lower halves and body sizes of Andalites are as various as different horse breeds here on Earth.

1) In this book we discover that Ax was not the only survivor of the battle that started everything. What do you think of the fact that it took 40 books (and presumably about two years) for the Ani's to discover Mertil and Gafinilan?

Because they were so good at hiding, methinks.

2) Why do you think that Marco took it upon himself to 'go it alone' so much in this book?

Marco is Marco, and sometimes I think he likes to try and be a hero.

3) Gafinilan has a genetic disease that means he will die, and painfully. The only way out is to become a nothlit, but as of the time when this book takes place Ganfinilan has chosen to endure the disease. Do you think this is honorable? Stupid?

What do YOU think is honorable? Andalites are a different culture than us. Once upon a time in Japan, seppuku was honorable. Andalites seem to value dignity, and being afraid of or unwilling to face a pain that challenges a warrior may be seen as cowardly. They face death head-on.

4) Ax shows a powerful distaste for vecols, Andalites with disabilities. This seems to be an opinion that is not exclusive to Ax, but shared by most Andalites. What does this say about Andalites and Andalite culture in general?

Again, this seems to be cultural. It could also be fear--as people fear what they don't understand. Maybe the people who see a disabled Andalite feel fear because "That could be me!"

5) What do you think happened to Mertil and Gafinilan?

Gafinilan most likely lived out his last days like he wanted, and I'm sure Mertil took care of him. I don't think the Animorphs stayed entirely away. I can bet, as I said above, that Cassie would probably check up on them and help make Ganfinilan comfortable when he got too sick to take care of himself.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
I would expect Cassie to do something to help Gafinilan through his pain, though I haven't given it much thought. I also hope Marco made good on his word and helped Myrtil, though both of those guys were forgotten after book 40.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Semeir-Cooraf-Armaheen

• <No fear.>
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 04:11:17 PM »

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:11 PM »
I'm surprised that this end of the fandom didn't bring up what always came up over on LJ during our re-reads....we went through the books twice and the "were they gay Andalites?" came up both times lol. Ask Jen. I'm a little surprised it wasn't discussed over here.

Anyway, I do wish they'd had Mertil come back near the end of the series, somehow or other.

Also, my mom watched Unsolved Mysteries all the time when it was on, so I can hear Robert Stack's voice and the theme music every time I read that scene.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:55:12 PM by AniMel23 »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 10:04:22 AM »
I don't consider someone gay unless it's stated outright that they are. As far as I'm concerned, they're just shorms. Some people go overboard with this idea, and say any guys that spend most of their time together must be gay.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
I think they could be. I think it's less that people go overboard with the idea (although some people do), and more just about the chemistry between the characters. Like these two, for example. Gafinilan can hear Mertil's thought-speech voice from anywhere on the same planet. That seems a little romantic to me, tbh.

And let's face it, if one of them was female, EVERYONE would be saying that their relationship was romantic, not just the yaoi fans.

I dunno, for me, I ignore gender altogether in fandom, unless the character is "officially straight" or "officially gay", which is quite rare anyway. I mean, I read this one manga series where everyone is hinted at being gay, and yet my favourite pairing is straight. Just the way my mind works, I guess.

But anyway, tangeant. Gafinilan and Mertil: Could be either romantic or platonic. I lean on the side of romantic, but have nothing against people interpretting it as platonic.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem