Author Topic: Animorphs:The Graphic Novel  (Read 34426 times)

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
Animorphs:The Graphic Novel
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
Ok cheesy idea, but here's my idea-
After we discuss its merits, I propose that we commission the best writer here and the best artist here to work together to adapt Animorphs into a comic book format, starting with #1: The Invasion. If it's successful we can make it into a project akin to the ebooks and audiobooks.
So, what are your thoughts and suggestions? ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:01:13 AM by Claire v2.0 »
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
Re: Amimorphs:The Graphic Novel
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »
I've always thought this would be an awesome idea, I'd lend any support I could to it.

I'm an awful artist though, I could give writing a shot but I'm def not the best here by a long shot lol

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
    • Ken/UMP's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:45:14 PM »
That's an awesome idea, and I'd like to help, but I'm neither the best writer or artist here...
There's a method to my madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:59 AM »
Well it worked for the Warriors series, I think.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:11:10 AM »
I'm kinda like ANTI-Tiger... I can't write OR draw for crap... just a question, would it be done in the standard format, or would it be done in the Japanese manga type style (reading it from back cover to front cover)

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline mrlarry

• The original and the best
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:06 AM »
What style of art? Realistic or cartoony? I can do both, but the cartoony may be more consistent (and it can work with a serious piece)

MrLarry & Estrid FTW
Matt and Kat lulz

Offline zaprowsdower

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • The Ancient of Days
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 09:43:37 AM »
Foamy-depends on what everyone on the thread thinks, I'm not the final arbiter here :)
I suggest someone like Matt who can do anime post some of their stuff to see if it's what we're looking for.
mrlarry-show us what ya got :).
Not caring about what's popular since 2006.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
How would the story arcs go though?
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]https://vspace.vassar.edu/evwaldron/warriors/banner2.jpg[/img]

esplin

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
this would be really cool if you guys did it

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
Okay, I have to admit, this is a really cool idea.  ;D I can't draw for crap, though.

So, mrlarry... Why don't you show us something?
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline ANItiger13

• ....Yay....
  • Xtreme Member
  • Back to the basics
    • Ken/UMP's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »
Yeah, Matt, show us what you got. Or not. It'd be helpful if you did...
There's a method to my madness, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Offline Qwerty the Charliecorn

• The cannibalistic pipe-dweller
  • Xtreme Member
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »
Yeah, because, apparently, most of us can't draw.

So, how long do you think we would make it? I mean, would we keep everything, or cut little scenes here and there?
If you are not in my avatar, and would like to be, or if you changed your name and avatar and would like me to update it, PM me. I cannot add or change anyone at the moment as I lost the file I use for this, but if people still want in, I'll work on it.

I am RAFmarried to my sweet shnukums, Rachel. ;D

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 12:16:13 PM »
instead of having a writer, just have an editor who can take in K.A. chapters and format them so that they can written into comic forum.

and for one. i don't think you want me as a writer.. the comic would turn out look like The Punisher was featured in it.
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline wolfev

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
I once saw a comic version on deviant art, but it was only a few pages and kinda random. I think if we're going for graphic novel then we should go manga, but we definitely need an artist who is top notch and a real anifan. The story editing wouldn't be too hard, but there would be a lot of dialogue. Also, you'd have to reconcile the narration somehow. Like, there really can't be that much because that would be boring. I guess the best way would be like in the series to have a different person narrate each one. Still we're talking a huge fraking undertaking here. It would be easier to first agree on what goes and what doesn't, becuase there is probably no way we could do 54 books plus chronicles.
      Also, let me remind you of the audio book failure, I think it failed, not sure. What needs to be done is a pilot one shot, like a scene from one of the books in this format. If we wanted to, we could even change the story around a little. I mean, it would be kind of stupid just to copy it all completely. Still, the first step is to find us a good artist. Can anyone recruit off of deviant art?

Offline jsh357

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
It sounds like fun, and normally I'd volunteer to edit down the books since it's the kind of thing I love to do, but I really don't have any time to do them all.  Why not have a group of editors work on individual books?  If ten people worked on the series at once and compared notes, it would be much faster than having just one editor.

Also, I would recommend skipping the "filler" stories whenever possible if you want to actually finish the project.  This series is huge.  It might even be a good idea to take some liberties, too.  For example, instead of introducing Drode in "The Exposed," it might be better to skip that book (which would also allow skipping "The Mutation") and have Drode pop up in the next book where he's relevant. 

Before beginning, it would be a good idea to take note of when morphs are acquired and used throughout the series, especially if books are skipped.  Let's say (and this would never happen) you choose to skip Book 3.  Well, the Animorphs need to acquire wolves at some point anyway, so that scene would have to be worked in.  Too many "Oh I acquired this off screen" moments would hurt the comics.

Re: a few of the comments about art style
I would have to recommend an American art style for this.  I have nothing against manga at all, but I just can't see a Japanese style working for this series.  When I think of Animorphs as a comic, I think of a style similar to western superhero comics, more realistic than cartoony.  In any case, making it read right-to-left would be silly, as English is meant to be read left-to-right.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 04:06:10 PM by jsh357 »