Author Topic: dracon beams  (Read 4723 times)

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Without whom, we would all be lost...
Re: dracon beams
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:06:22 AM »
Lol... Marco with Dracon beams... sounds funny...  ;D

Yeah, the Hork Bajir could have used all that weaponry, and that would have definitely helped them on their raids to free more of their kind...
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:26 AM »
I suspect it would be modified to incorporate human resources (such as having iron rather than unobtanium)
I suppose in comparison to yeerks, an experienced electronic engineer would be an afghan villager.
Without government backing it is possible to achieve quite a lot, in fact as the disaster that is communism demonstrates, excessively government involvement actually stifles productivity.
I am suggesting the possibility, and after all if illiterate afghan villagers can reverse engineer a Kalashnikov, why not an electrical engineer reverse engineering  a dracon beam....
Remember that humans were only a hundred years behind the yeerks technologically (in this series) as they discovered Z space towards the end. So it can't be that advanced.

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »
First, the humans discovered how to communicate one way messages through Z-space, not travel through it.

Second, a hundred years is larger than the gap between telephones and Thermonuclear bombs.  The gap in technology is just far too large.

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
I suspect it would be modified to incorporate human resources (such as having iron rather than unobtanium)
I suppose in comparison to yeerks, an experienced electronic engineer would be an afghan villager.
Without government backing it is possible to achieve quite a lot, in fact as the disaster that is communism demonstrates, excessively government involvement actually stifles productivity.
I am suggesting the possibility, and after all if illiterate afghan villagers can reverse engineer a Kalashnikov, why not an electrical engineer reverse engineering  a dracon beam....
Remember that humans were only a hundred years behind the yeerks technologically (in this series) as they discovered Z space towards the end. So it can't be that advanced.

I'm saying - Totally... If an electrical engineer got his hands on a Dracon beam, and had the wherewithal to obtain quite a few necessary items, and a probably a lot of help, he might be able to create a human version of the weapon within a couple years... Years...

This does not really help the Animorphs, or anyone else fighting against the Yeerks, seeing as how the invasion was supposed to be successfully over long before the end of the books, and it ended up being over too soon for that anyway...

Therefore, it would make much more sense for the Animorphs to capture and hoard Dracon beams, than to spend valuable time and energy and resources trying to create a long term weapon that in all probability will be inferior in quality to the Dracon beam...

Not to mention the fact that they probably won't need this Dracon knock-off after the war is over anyway... It would end up being used by police forces as a sort of more advanced tazer...
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
Well if instead of a wonderful dux exmachina ending in which the animorphs save the day, that the humans would've fought the yeerks over say a 20-40 year period (beginning with guerrilla warfare involving the capture and hording of dracon beams and as humans copied and appropriated alien technology more conventional warfare)
but in such a scenario creating your own beam weapons would be preferable than relying on captured enemy supplies (which can be booby trapped or designed for Hork Bajir physiology etc).
Also in the scenario they did have (in which the animorphs won in a wonderful 10 hours of dux exmachinaishness) the post-yeerk Earth would've been altered by the addittion of yeerk dracon beams in much the same way that guns altered the political landscape of post contact Polynesia, Africa and America (basically the Polynesians in particular used to trade guns off westerners to use in tribal conflicts and I am pretty sure the same happened in Africa and the Americas) and in that time it would be possible to retro-engineer dracon beams especially as dracon beams flooded the weapons market...

Jared Diamond Guns Germs and Steel (a book i have not read but would like to)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:51:25 AM by voodooqueen126 »

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
I think you may have misunderstood... The invasion wasn't going to last longer than 3-4 years...

Guerrilla tactics or not, the Yeerks would have successfully completed the enslavement of earth within about 4... Once they became powerful enough they would have revealed themselves and demanded surrender... Earth governments (under Yeerk control) would agree, and isolated pockets of resistance would be systematically wiped out from orbit by the yeerk fleet... The very ecosystem and atmosphere would have been drastically altered, and the only safe place for humans would have been in the Yeerk compounds helping to build ships and such to fight the Andalites...

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 01:11:36 PM »
With 'slow infestation' warfare, Yeerk Victory would've been total within 4 years.
But I think with Esplins method, human victory would've been possible atleast at the stage of invasion that they were at in book 53: I mean California does not a total victory make. I am sure Earth's existing guerrilla insurgencies/terrorist could've taken over the job and would tactically be much more experienced than the yeerks. Had Slow Infestation gone for another year, then the humans wouldn't have a hope.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 02:24:42 PM »
Again, this all is off topic and a moot point because Humans cannot recreate alien tech made with alien resources.

Afghans reproducing AKs is a horrible comparison. These dracons are not merely moving metal parts where they can make molds and reproduce it.

These are aliens that have advanced past nuclear energy, when we aren't anywhere near refining that tech. The power needed to create the beam, then the tech needed to concentrate that beam is not anywhere close to anything we have.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 08:38:41 PM »
Okay first off Ax could surely replicate a dracon beam. So they could have made more.

The only reason they did not is because the author is very anti-gun and anti-war. During one of the interviews with this site she got really touchy when Rachel's death came up, because she wanted someone to die in the war so she could get her message across.

Also the target audience at the time were tweens, young teenagers, and elementry school kids so even if she wanted to schoolastic would have edited that out.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »
W/e this is an argument that's going nowhere.

I'm out.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
It's all about KA's anti gun opinion. Yes it would make sense in universe, but the "God" of that universe says guns are evil.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 11:34:33 PM »
*musical notes*
Oh, Dracon Beams, Dracon Beams,
We all love those Dracon Beams,
Wish I had one now, today,
So I could make my own someway,

So I will steal one from some Yeerks,
Cuz I don't like those slimy jerks,
And I will reverse engineer
My own in maybe thirty year

But that's a bit too long, I think,
So I will steal one in a wink,
And I could use it right away,
And not have to wait another day!

*end of the Dracon Beam Jingle*

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »
It's all about KA's anti gun opinion. Yes it would make sense in universe, but the "God" of that universe says guns are evil.
Which is why we as fanfiction writers need to free ourself of the authors opinion and discuss what would be possible.
Remember numerous humans were controllers so they may understand yeerk technology.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »
I agree that fanfic writers shouldn't be restricted by the Author's opinion. If it makes sense within the universe, then it's fine. Like Ax using basic Shredder training to use dracon beams in battle.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Darth Revan

• Gold Donor
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:40 PM »
Remember numerous humans were controllers so they may understand yeerk technology.

They may understand it, but without alien resources, they can't reproduce it.

Besides, how many grunt forces understand how the complex nature of their engines and weapons work?

Most of them were "born" in orbit, and shoved on the battle field right away. I find it unlikely that every ex-controller is going to be an astrophysicist after they're freed. Most of the humans were paniced and remember, the Yeerks could close off Yeerk memories from hosts, so even if the human wanted, they couldn't learn all of their secrets.