Author Topic: dracon beams  (Read 4720 times)

Offline 2005004219

dracon beams
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:32:01 PM »
why didn't the animorphs or their allies use dracon beams? It is useful for stunning. And why didn't the controllers use dracon beams more often on the animorphs in fighting.

Offline MoppingBear

Re: dracon beams
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:28:09 AM »
a dracon beams primary function is to cause pain. seems to go against the other topic you made for the animorphs to use them.  and most human controllers did use them, as did taxxons, hork bajir didnt really have much use for them.

Offline musicman88

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
And when in their battle morphs the Animorphs didn't really have hands capable of using them...
YOU'RE WINNER !

VisserZer0

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 06:48:19 PM »
Except for Marco, but he'd probably crush it. It would look kind of obvious if a bunch of kids just charged into the Yeerk pool, blasting Controllers.
Although, they could go all MGS on the Yeerks, hiding in the shadows and vaporizing them while remaining unseen. That would be pretty cool, but not very Animorph-ish.

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Without whom, we would all be lost...
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
Well, the same question could be used of guns, I guess... The Animorphs as a whole were pretty gunshy, and that clearly carried over to Dracon Beams... and any kind of shooting "weapon" in general... Except for their morphs natural abilities (for whatever reason).
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:49 AM »
KA Applegate said in an interview that she didn't like guns.
Would it be possible to make a dracon beam from a captured item? the way the afghans make kalashnikovs by modelling them on the ones they have captured from the russians.

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »
Why bother? They had constant opportunities to take Dracon beams, and if they had wanted to, they could even have orchestrated a mission solely to do that - take Yeerk technology and weaponry... In fact, they probably should have done that toward the end, when it became apparent that the army would have to be involved... They could have built up a small stockpile of weapons, possibly even a bug fighter or two, to be used eventually in an all-out war... (that would have tremendously helped the soldiers attacking the Pool ship from the ground in the last battle...)
"Hey, who taped a full color picture of a forum to my screen? And why won't it come off??? What?? it's an Animorphs forum, and you can talk about your favorite Animorphs and such??? Oh, Best Thing Ever! Best Thing Ever!"

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
I am talking about later human efforts to create their own beam weapons. not just on a state sanctioned mass produced factory level but say an afghan villager, comes across a yeerk dracon beam, would he be able to reproduce it in his workshop?

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »
I don't really see how an Afghan villager would be able to reproduce a complicated, advanced piece of alien technology, unless he used pieces of the captured weapon itself... in which case, why not just use the weapon?

I can see how a powerful government program might be able to develop an independent beam weapon by studying a Dracon beam, but that might take months, or even years...

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:11:44 AM »
The Afghan villager does not want to rely on future Russian/Yeerk invasions, and therefore creates his own kalashnikov/dracon beam by dissassembling the original, figuring out how it was made and then making more for himself and others to use in conflicts.
Buy a man a fish or teach him to go fishing? Who wants to be relient on the chance of finding a create full of kalashnikovs/dracon beams when you could learn to make your own (which you would then be able to modify to your own requirements as well).
Implicit in this idea is having access to the original weapon, studying it, dissassembling it and making more yourself. or to rephrase in more obvious terms
1. find or capture one original kalashnikov/dracon beam
2. take back to workshop, study, practise with, dissassemble.
3. re assemble etc until you understand how it works.
4. make your own
5. make even more
6. modify to  suit your own circumstances.
7. produce even more of the modified version.
8. widespread de-centralised distribution of dracon beams leads to even more deaths/choas in Africa,Middle East etc.
Notably the yeerks themselves basically did this with the Andalite shredder and ongachic weaponry thus creating the dracon beam.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:23:50 AM by voodooqueen126 »

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
I completely understand the process you just outlined...

However, it is still my opinion that there is like, no way a random Afghan villager (or even one with the wherewithal to reverse engineer a Kalashnikov) could do the same with a Dracon Beam... It would just be too advanced and complicated...

I could be totally wrong, but I think it would take someone like that years to develop an independent weapon system based on the Dracon Beam...

Offline Fwahm

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 11:25:32 AM »
It's extremely likely that Dracon Beams use materials or energy sources that are too advanced for humans, let alone random villagers, to replicate.  For example, humans haven't even heard of Ramonite before, which seems fairly extensively used in Yeerk technology.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
Yeah, Afghans can reproduce AKs because they are made by humans with human resources. Dracon Beams are alien tech using alien resouces.

Like the battery for a Dracon Beam. What is the power source? How much evergy is needed for it? We most likely don't have that kind of energy capability.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Offline adeon222

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »
Good point... Also, even if they could make a knockoff, how would anyone without government backing be able to produce more?

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:01:11 AM »
i say they should give the dracon beams to the parents at the hork bajir valley, at least for some means of defense.
marco with dracon beams would be fun, too.