Author Topic: The posting rank God.  (Read 9244 times)

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
Re: The posting rank God.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
Honestly, it *does* offend me a little. More in an OCD way, though. And I know a few other people that dislike it for whatever reason. I haven't voted because I'm using the cell to post. But I will when I get to the computer. I like Elite much better. Uber is cool, too. Or how about Uber Extreme? That keeps with the JR Extreme\Extreme theme.... Honestly, one of the reasons I donated was so that I'd never get the God tittle. Lol. I just think it's a little blasphemous. And I play D&D! Lol. Ooh! How about Forum Deity? That keeps the same theme, without the same blaspheme level... Lol.

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline Adrian Malacoda

• Break me off a piece of that
  • Gold Donor
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »
"Uber" sounds plain silly to me; it evokes images of "leet haxxors" (13 year olds who've figured out how to run a "hacking program") bragging about "uber leet pwnage" or some such tripe. I don't really mind God, but if we had to change it, Elite would be a good choice.

Interesting tidbit: from what I remember, the God rank on Proboards/Conforums comes from the original software, YaBB, that those forum sites descended from. SMF is also a (distant) descendant of YaBB (and therefore cousin to Conforums), but in a default SMF, the word "Hero" is used for that level.
Free Software Foundation associate member #8136

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 01:56:25 AM »
I'm happy with God, but Elite is a fine second :)
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 02:14:52 AM »
"Uber" sounds plain silly to me; it evokes images of "leet haxxors" (13 year olds who've figured out how to run a "hacking program") bragging about "uber leet pwnage" or some such tripe. I don't really mind God, but if we had to change it, Elite would be a good choice.

yeah, elite sounds much better.
i wasn't really considering uber, just throwing suggestions out there.

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 03:03:51 AM »
Elite ftw! My point is, if you COULD have another title which DOESN'T offend anyone (I don't see Elite or Pantheon going down too badly), why wouldn't you? XD So, what's the verdict? There's a lot of 'no's there though :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:11:49 AM by Ash »
You may have been given a cactus. Doesn't mean you have to sit on it.

Generation One

Keep up with RAF! Twitter | Facebook

Suspicious activity? Bot alert? Report the post or PM a staff member!

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 03:30:44 AM »
So, what's the verdict? There's a lot of 'no's there though :(

there's still a chance. not everybody has seen it.

esplin

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 01:13:33 PM »
Elite ftw! My point is, if you COULD have another title which DOESN'T offend anyone (I don't see Elite or Pantheon going down too badly), why wouldn't you? XD So, what's the verdict? There's a lot of 'no's there though :(

This is a good point. *considers*

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
Hmm.  While I'm starting to agree that "God" is probably too offensive to some people, I think that "Elite" just doesn't sound as bad-a$$ as "God" does.  At the very least, I think "Elite" should be a lower rank, perhaps the second-to-top, but not quite at the top.

Perhaps "Deity" or "Omnipotent Being" or "Supreme Being" could be substituted as a less-offensive version that still says more-or-less the same thing?

Hehe, if we're keeping the "Jr. Xtreme Member" - > "Xtreme Member" trend, then the next one maybe should be "Supreme Xtreme Member."  Or even just "Supreme Member"?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing "Elite."  I think it's a fine rank.  I just don't think it's the best possible name to give to the very highest rank that can be attained.  "Elite" carries the connotation of 'one of the best' whereas "God", or even "Supreme Member" carries the connotation of 'the absolute best there is.'

And if anyone suggests an idea that I like as much as "God," then I will change my vote from "no" to "yes."

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »
Hmm.  While I'm starting to agree that "God" is probably too offensive to some people, I think that "Elite" just doesn't sound as bad-a$$ as "God" does.  At the very least, I think "Elite" should be a lower rank, perhaps the second-to-top, but not quite at the top.

Perhaps "Deity" or "Omnipotent Being" or "Supreme Being" could be substituted as a less-offensive version that still says more-or-less the same thing?

Hehe, if we're keeping the "Jr. Xtreme Member" - > "Xtreme Member" trend, then the next one maybe should be "Supreme Xtreme Member."  Or even just "Supreme Member"?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing "Elite."  I think it's a fine rank.  I just don't think it's the best possible name to give to the very highest rank that can be attained.  "Elite" carries the connotation of 'one of the best' whereas "God", or even "Supreme Member" carries the connotation of 'the absolute best there is.'

And if anyone suggests an idea that I like as much as "God," then I will change my vote from "no" to "yes."

But Dino.. there are a couple of 'gods' already. That way, Elite/OtherTitle makes even more sense. Cuz there are a couple of 'best ones' out there  :-\

Generation One

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 01:54:42 PM »
Hmm.  While I'm starting to agree that "God" is probably too offensive to some people, I think that "Elite" just doesn't sound as bad-a$$ as "God" does.  At the very least, I think "Elite" should be a lower rank, perhaps the second-to-top, but not quite at the top.

Hehe, if we're keeping the "Jr. Xtreme Member" - > "Xtreme Member" trend, then the next one maybe should be "Supreme Xtreme Member."  Or even just "Supreme Member"?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not bashing "Elite."  I think it's a fine rank.  I just don't think it's the best possible name to give to the very highest rank that can be attained.  "Elite" carries the connotation of 'one of the best' whereas "God", or even "Supreme Member" carries the connotation of 'the absolute best there is.'

But Dino.. there are a couple of 'gods' already. That way, Elite/OtherTitle makes even more sense. Cuz there are a couple of 'best ones' out there  :-\

Yeah, I am aware of that.  That wasn't really the point I was trying to make.  I'm just having trouble finding the words for what I'm trying to say.

I guess my real point was that "Elite" just feels like a step down from "God."  And I don't want that.  I want a rank that will convey the same sense of superiority that "God" connotes.  For one, I don't want anyone who's already reached "God" status to suddenly go "WTH?  I'm only Elite, now?  I was a God!  I've been demoted!"  And for another, heck, I want to be able to feel extra super-special when I get to 5000 posts.  It's a big number.  We should all get to feel extra special when we reach it.  And "Elite" doesn't really do that for me.

Am I making sense?

Offline Ash

• RAF Ancient
  • Social Staff Leader
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
Yup, I get what you mean perfectly  :) Thanks for clarifying.

Well, I've made my points. I leave the rest to you guys  :)

Generation One

esplin

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
I got what you meant dino and I'll take that into consideration as well :]

Offline Coal Kropotkin

• The anarchist formerly known as Prince
  • Gold Donor
  • Howdy!
    • Mastodon
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
I like Supreme Being! I like it a lot! Feels kinda... breezy. ;)

RAFEngaged to Ash! <3
Kat's Awesome!

Updated phone: 423 401 8527

RAFJOP at your service!

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
aaaw i like the God rank. Don't change it! im christian and im sure a good amount of RAFians are and I have no problem with it. I vote to not change it. Elite just doesn't sound right it sounds like it'd be under Xtreme and jr Xtreme
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:07:29 PM by Blueboi!!!! »
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
due to a request, i have initiated the 'allow users to change vote' on the poll.

this won't affect the current results, but if you want to change your vote you now can.