Author Topic: Why the animorphs tv show sucked so much  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Per scientia totus est ostendo sum
Why the animorphs tv show sucked so much
« on: September 12, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
List your reasons why it sucked
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
Re: Why the animorphs tv show sucked so much
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 06:48:15 PM »
i didn't particularly like it, but i wouldn't say it sucked.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
Don't we already have a thread for the TV show?

Let's see. I'll put it in list form, off the top of my head.

1) Battle morphs were wrong. Horse for Cassie, wolf for Marco, and lion for Rachel. Compared to that, Jake and Tobias being the wrong kind of tiger and hawk respectfully can be overlooked. Also, there were no battles. Just the Animorpsh chasing people around in morph. Not to mention that they morphed and demorphed too often in dangerous places.

2) Aliens were crappy. Visser Three and Ax spent most of their time in Human form, and this is especially noticable in V3's case when he's in the presence of only controllers, or on his blade ship. Hork-Bajir didn't look real.

3) Idiot plots. Like in the episode where Erik makes his appearance, and says the Yeerks want to use Chee hologram technology for evil. Like the Yeerks don't have their own hologram technology? And why would an item created by Pamelites be harmful to chee? also, the Yeerk in phone episode. Infestation would have to be instant for that to work. A Yeerk can't get from outer ear to brain in an instant.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline DinosaurNothlit

• Pixellated Prehistoric Paradox
  • Gold Donor
  • RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
Eh, I think most of the problems with it were simply factors of not having a big enough special effects budget, not being able to get/train the right animals for morphs, and being constrained by the half-hour time slot.  And I can't bring myself to criticize it based on any of those factors; I mean, come on, they did their best.  And almost all of the show's problems can be traced back to those three things.

I guess there were only two things that pissed me off about the show:

1.  The changing of irrelevant details for no other reason than to be different
-Jeremy Jason McCole ---> Jason John McCole
-Maple and Ginger instant oatmeal ---> Maple instant oatmeal
-"I'd like a happy meal, with extra happy." ---> "I'd like a cheese burger, hold the cheese."

Don't know why those things ticked me off, since they're pretty irrelevant, but for some reason they did.  I guess I didn't see any reason for them not to stick to canon.

2.  Misportrayal of the characters
-Rachel's actor was terrible.  She talked brave, and everyone around her said she was brave, but she did not act brave
-Tobias's family life got downplayed, which in my opinion means that the show missed the entire point of him being a hawk; it wasn't an accident, or something that happened because he liked to fly, it was to escape his sucky life as a human
-Ax's humor got played up, and his warrior/honorable characteristics got played way down

Jake, Marco, and Cassie were all pretty good portrayals, but even they all acted out of character sometimes.

I just watched the show pretty recently, so all this stuff was already running through my mind.  To tell the truth, the show actually wasn't as bad as I'd remembered it being.  Maybe I was more nitpicky as a kid, lol.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 07:19:21 PM »
I realise there were limitations, but if they couldn't do better than they shouldn't have tried. It needed to be animated, and it needed a 1 hour timeslot. Also, Nick was a bad place for it to begin with.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
yeah there is a thread for this show but i just wanted to get to 100 karma
Live in peace and let your enemies be, but fiercely protect the ones you love. The Nyac Credo.

"Take me to jail please a Klingon is after me" Cave Guy Freakazoid  Freak-A-Panel.

"The fiction will see the real. The answer will question still."  Coheed and Cambria The Willing Well I: Fuel For The Feeding End 

The Pentagon has no contract with aliens or with afterlife entities... That I'm aware of... At this time

Offline anijen21

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Lol at least you're honest
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 09:44:52 PM »
personally i think there are too many extra topics, when we could just resucitate old topics instead of starting new ones. Think of how many 'andalite evolution/Andalite physiognomy topics there are?
What is Karma anyway?

Offline anijen21

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
it's an exaggerated, deflated way to gauge your self-worth
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 12:44:09 AM »
personally i think there are too many extra topics, when we could just resucitate old topics instead of starting new ones. Think of how many 'andalite evolution/Andalite physiognomy topics there are?
What is Karma anyway?

pointless to some, more important to others.
give it to somebody (by applauding them) when they make a good post or do something nice.
smite them if they tick you off in a post or make inappropriate comments.

you get +1 karma for making threads, +2 during RAF parties.

Offline Yarin

• Jr. Xtreme Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 12:58:36 AM »
Did I abuse that privalage by making this thread?

Offline goom

• Administrator
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 01:00:17 AM »
you only abuse it if you make a thread for the sake of purely gaining karma.
the topic wasn't duplicating another existing one, as far as i know, and it had some merit..

..i'd say if you're iffy about it, don't make it. otherwise you're fine.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »
but yeah, if karma is about people rating you (ie how nice vs evil you are) then why should creating a new topic be good for karma? I mean that new topic could be 'i am evil and like to slay puppies' it also makes it harder to find old interesting posts if people create new topics left right and centre.

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 06:16:13 AM »
you mean like all the counting threads in the bored board?

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:18:16 AM »
Yup, but here as well, i had to read over 25 pages to animorphs but a lot of the topics are every similar so it takes ages to find the topic you're after, and you know the topic you're after is definitly out there-in the long history of RAF it is likely someone has thought of this earlier.
Or we could have a search function that enables people to find the topic they are after so they don't have to create a new topic.