Author Topic: Have the yeerks done anything wrong?  (Read 8039 times)

Offline CounterInstinct

Re: Have the yeerks done anything wrong?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 12:55:09 AM »
Sigh.... here it goes... the shades of gray again... here we are killing a lot of animals for us to live when we can just eat vegetable instead. Yet, we say that Yeerks are bad for enslaving other beings when they can live by just being slugs or as Gedds....
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »
we can live off of just vegetables? then what's with the canine teeth in our mouth?

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 01:01:41 AM »
evolved from millions of years of meat eating, or something like that i dno

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 01:03:12 AM »
Yes, humans started out as fruit and vegetable eaters... eating any edible thing we see from plants. Then we learned to plant, and hunt. Man learned that meat tasted so good... but hard to chew with monkey-human teeth, so... canines! Yes! Gift of the Ellimist... err... evolution!  :)
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 01:07:43 AM »
I see...well I guess it's possible...

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 02:21:06 AM »
Also, we aren't killing sentient creatures for food. Which is a big difference from the Yeerks.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 06:52:46 AM »
Hey... Yeerks do NOT kill sentient beings for food. The species live on, they evolve with the Yeerks. At least the species live. Humans wipe out entire species without remorse. Plus, we are actually destroying our very own planet and kill each other.

esplin

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »
yeah but i mean yeerks kill creatures and torture creatures for fun!  Humans arnt so great, But I mean we're better then yeerks come on :]
you still have the best siggy though ^

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
They can't help being born what they are, so in that sense they aren't doing anything wrong, but they have the moral choice to live their lives as what they are or make others suffer to live better lives themselves.  Or, working with their hosts as equals, rather than tormenting and belittling them.  Some Yeerks could probably be nice that way, but so many of them seem like the ultimate sadists, it's a little scary x3 

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »
well the yeerks haven't thought of what the iskoort did.

and the yeerks are already in symbiosis. paratism is a kind of symbiosis. one which the one organism gains and another loses.

No, it's not. Symbiosis means that both species gain something, like remoras and sharks, the Remoras get a meal and the sharks get cleaned.

At any rate, the yeerks aren't inherently evil even if there are individuals who are. I always figured that a good amount of yeerks thought what was going on was wrong, but were to afraid to speak up, and for good reason, what with V3's standard reaction to anyone he doesn't like.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:37:31 PM by Walkaway Girl »

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
well then, the meaning of symbiosis must've changed since I learned it (which was about 3-4 years ago)

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:51 AM »
yeah but i mean yeerks kill creatures and torture creatures for fun!  Humans arnt so great, But I mean we're better then yeerks come on :]
you still have the best siggy though ^

Hahaha! Thanks... hehehe... well, some humans also do torture people for fun or for no fun at all.... But then again, some people are just scum...  :(

And walkaway girl must have meant mutualism, a kind symbiosis. Parasitism and Mutualism are both a kind of symbiosis... as far as i know.... =)

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:50 AM »
well if she meant mutualism, then yeah she's right. mutualism is a kind a symbiosis in which both organisms profit.

Offline ~

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • Something slow an bittersweet
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 07:02:33 AM »
Okay, it's been awhile since biology, sorry.  :-\

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
This is more sort of an ethical question than anything else.

Ok so the yeerks main arguments are that its unfair for a sentient, intelligent being to be so sensory deprived, which is why they infest other hosts.

Well thats the way they evolved right, so tough luck? But they also evolved the ability to infest other beings, so in actual fact they are just doing what they have evolved to do. This was just limited to the Gedds and thats the way it would have stayed, presumably since the Gedds were cumbersome and incapable of making any kind of technological breakthroughs.

So who's to say what the yeerks are doing is wrong? Would you say humans destroying habitats to provide for themselves is wrong, no because fundamentally its down to survival of the species. Sure humans don't go out of their way to harm other species but if there were ever a situation where we had to eliminate a dozen species entirely to save our own we would do it in the blink of an eye.

While I think its right for humans to fight back and resist the yeerks, I've gotta say they are just looking out for their own species, hell at least they're not killing each other to same scale that we have done.

Cassie? Is that you?  :P

I understand what you're saying, but just because they evolved as parasites, doesn't mean that it's okay for them to enslave other sentient species.

Yes I know that it's not really right for humans to use up and then abandon resources just because we evolved to adapt to new situations either, but the Yeerks are far worse in my opinion. After all, we know for a fact that once they take over a planet, they use up the resources and then abandon the planet just like we would, except they do it with even less care for the environment than we do. Ax has mentioned that the Yeerks would wipe out any animal or plant life that was useless to the Yeerks or their human hosts.

As for it all being about survival, that's crap. The Yeerks were perfectly healthy and happy living out their entire lives in their Yeerk Pools, soaking up Kandrona rays.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!