Author Topic: Yeerk Evolution  (Read 11037 times)

Offline MoppingBear

Re: Yeerk Evolution
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »
on a very blunt note, im going to point out that yeerks would have enjoyed their hosts making babies (also a basis for a very smutty fanfic) so reproduction isn't a issue.

Actually . . . I don't know, but that's something else I wondered about.  Yeerks seem to frown on letting their hosts have babies (in Visser, Visser One was basically put on trial for it), so how the heck did they keep the races they controlled from going extinct?

she wasnt put on trial for having babies, she was put on trial for hiding it from the empire, and basically losing herself to her host.  if they were producing babies to serve as controllers, then i am sure the yeerks would accept it.

Offline dasada122

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »
Perhaps Crayak took note of the Ellimist's trick with spreading life, and tailor-made the Yeerks.  But he made them too adaptable: they developed empathy.
Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally bat**** insane.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »
I agree with dasada, despite Nate's wonderful explanation yeerk evolution is far too convuluted to be natural. i mean a species parasises to reproduce or to eat, not because they desire metaphorical things like 'freedom'!

Offline dasada122

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
Of course, there is no path from the ear canal to the brain.  The ear is watertight; if it weren't, then swimming would be very different.
Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally bat**** insane.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2009, 03:55:40 PM »
 who knows? The Yeerks are crazy. why are they so war hungry anyway?
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?

Offline MoppingBear

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
who knows? The Yeerks are crazy. why are they so war hungry anyway?

they arent, most of them are just host hungry.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 02:52:32 AM »
don't they want recognition, fame, and advancement?

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
but those are metaphorical abstract things (fame advancement, freedom etc) which works fine once your sentient. But the process of evolution is mostly about maximising reproduction which involves 'getting more food' 'more territory' 'surviving predators etc' for instance the parasitic creature with mind control (link to come short) on Earth (real life) does so to feed and then controlles its grass hopper host to drown itself so that the parasite can continue its life style.

Apparently my crack at Octomom got reported, any tips on how to rephrase it in a more politically correct way?

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
yeah...but what drives them now to be so competitive?

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
the competiveness could be natural to parasites... this the cracked (therefore funny) description of parasites, note that these mind control parasites are all about reproduction and food.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17199_p2.html

Offline Homiegee

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »
Your crack at Octo-mom got reported? I think it was a good example of how evolution doesn't always necessarily select for intelligence, it selects for who can reproduce the most. I didn't take offense, maybe someone else did though.

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »
Apparently... I mean I got sent a message saying 'tone down what you are saying on yeerk evolution.  and it linked the page where i said that about octomom...So I am assuming that it was that. It's a bit spanish inquisitiony that you are unable to know the identity of your accuser, of course one of the tragedies of authoritarian censorship is that people, in order to survive, must publically agree with the tyrants, and thus become slightly evil themselves. (Dalrymple and I think George Orwell said this not original thought) Perhaps this is what lead Wildweathel to say, in the post on censorship, 'it is ultimately dehumanising to everybody'. Anyway moving along before I get reported again...
Evolution doesn't value what we value: It doesn't aim to make a species sentient, intelligent or appealing but rather that the species in question should have as much food and as many babies as possible. I think it was Richard Dawkins who wrote a wonderful book called 'the selfish gene'.
So why are the yeerks sentient at all? all they needed to do was float around in their little pools soaking up the sun and nutrients, they didn't even need to move vary far to get that food. Humans desire abstract things like success, fame, recognition etc because it makes us more attractive to more and more potential mates, no doubt if Walrus/seals/and other harem animals were sentient they would too in order to get as many mates as possible.

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
the competiveness could be natural to parasites... this the cracked (therefore funny) description of parasites, note that these mind control parasites are all about reproduction and food.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17199_p2.html

wow that is crazy. i didn't know about how complex this was!!

Offline voodooqueen126

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
yeah but it's fascinating isn't it: the motives and modus operandi of real life yeerks.

Offline dasada122

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2009, 11:25:04 PM »
Real life Yeerks?
Well, I ain't sleeping tonight.