Author Topic: Audiosite Instructions  (Read 14725 times)

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Cloud Surfer
Audiosite Instructions
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »
Hiya folks!

I think I've started to get some stuff up and running from the manager POV. The first four chapters for MM1 have been created, as well as the segments (meaning the "drop box"-type thing for each character in each chapter.) This is where all actors will be uploading their recorded lines to. Now you're asking yourself, how do you do this? It's QUITE simple!

Directions for uploading lines:

1. Click "My To-Do" under "Actor Toolbox"
2. Click on the segment that you are going to be adding lines to (i.e., the correct chapter.)
3. Click "Edit" (located at the top of the page)
4. Click "File Attachments" (located in the middle of the page), then click the "Browse" button.
5. Locate the file that you would like to add to the segment, and click the "open" button, then click "attach" (Please make sure that your attachment has the EXACT name that the segment has, sans punctuation. This will make things easier on our timers.)
6. Change the "Next Action By" radio button to "director." (This will signal your director that your lines are done, and that they're ready to be listened to.)

...so, directors, this probably has you wondering how YOU will be handling the lines once you get them!

Directions for locating/listening to actor lines:

1. Click "To Do (Segments)" under "Project Toolbox"
2. Select "director" under "Next Action by" (you may have to un-select other options; only director should be selected.)
3. Select your user name under "Content: Assigned (Assistant) Director - (field_direct)" and click the "apply" button.
4. The segments that are waiting for your approval/listening are located in the box at the bottom of the screen. Click on the segment that you would like to listen to.
5. Click "Add new comment" at the bottom of the page. Leave feedback (positive feed back, and constructive criticism) for the actor. Please be VERY specific if there is anything you would like them to change, that way they do not have to spend more time re-doing parts than absolutely necessary.
6. Click "Edit" at the top of the page.
7. Change the "Next Action By" radio button to "actor" (if there are any parts you would like the actor to re-do), or to "timer" (if the recording is good to go.)

Phew. That was a mouthful. If you have ANY questions please do not hesitate to contact me, Morf, WildWeathel or Mr. Guy 36 (especially the later two if it's a particularly technical question.)

Good luck, thanks, and we look forward to HEARING you! :)

-Jess
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:55:23 PM by Kit Cloudkicker »

Offline Touquie

• ShamWOW!
  • God
  • Just Dancing in the Dark
    • Touquie's YouTube Channel
Re: Audiosite Instructions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:48 PM »
Sounds good.  I have already informed Jess, but I will be unable to record this week because I am on the road currently.
I'm RAFmarried to my Pookie, Charlie ;D

Offline Mr. Guy36

• im still in ur ear, still controllin ur body
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
Note to actors submitting lines: If your lines are bigger than 10 MB, you will need to split them. Just upload the first part, then another box will appear to upload additional files. I think most full chapters will need to do this.

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.
By popular demand, now with Gaz!

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
What format do you want the lines submitted in?

Drupal does not allow .wav or .mp3 uploads, which is the easiest option on Audacity. I've recorded my lines, but I'm not sure how to convert them into a usable format.

EDIT: I figured out how to convert to FLAC files with winamp, however when I do so it splits the audio up into a million segments. Chapter two went from one file to about fifty, sometimes cutting off the dialogue mid-word. Anyone know how to rectify this situation?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:41:36 PM by Terenia »

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:14:30 PM »
If Guy or Weathel does not reply to this by tomorrow, try PMing them. They'll be able to help you out with this. I'm not good with the technical stuff. :)

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
In audacity, go to Edit > Preferences. On the file formats tab, find the option for uncompressed export format. Change it to FLAC.

There you go.

That way, file size is smaller than wav, but we still have full quality.

I refuse to remove this sig because of some petty argument. RAF must remain solid.

Above silence, the illuminating storms - Dying storms - Illuminate the silence above

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:23:40 PM »
Okay, I did all that. Unfortunately now when I click 'Export to .FLAC' I get an error message that says "Cannot convert to FLAC at D:My Documents/Audiobooks". I don't know why. >.<

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html

Find Windows with installer. That program can convert .WAVs to FLACs. So just change Audacity back to wav, then use that.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »
Thank you!!

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »
I had the same problem, and my computer wouldnt accept the FLAC download you put up there guy

But Jess said I could just send all my files to her and she'd be kind enough to transfer them. And my new computer handles flac just fine so we wont have this problem.

So for my part in MM1, thats a wrap! (Until all my crappy dialogue has to be rerecorded on the basis of suckiness but we'll cross that mogul when we come to it)

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Yes. So. I'll add that to my list of things to do when I have time. And I'm NOT doing it for anyone else. ::)

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:58:26 PM »
Okay, so I am back to trying to convert my wav to flac. My new computer still wont let audacity directly convert them but it will accept the flac download you posted guy. But maybe I'm not using that program correctly or I don't know what but I'm getting an error message when trying to convert them. Any assistance would be great.

Otherwise, here are my chapter 3 lines in wav format:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zzygulxwyvy

So if I can't figure out how to transfer them right now maybe someone else can so I'm not holding everyone up with technical difficulties.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
try this.
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

i haven't used it, but it others have said it works. (not sure if it has a trial, though)

Offline Mr. Guy36

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
Conversion's done and uploaded. We'll have to find a better way to do conversions, but in the meantime, we can move forward on chapter 3.

Offline Kit Cloudkicker

• Reuben-Eater
  • Cloud Surfer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:11 PM »
Brian needs to upload his Ax lines without any thought speech effects, then we can get moving again. I won't have time for a few weeks though, working most weekends this month and next....That was why I wanted to do it that other weekend.

ALSO! I changed our drupal site to allow Mp3 uploads, so we don't' need to convert to FLAC anymore. I'm not sure why we've been doing that to begin with...Guy, let me know if that's a problem at all and I'll change it back.