Author Topic: Knowledge of the author  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Galladerotom

• Analysist, Paranoid, Trekie, and Psychic
Knowledge of the author
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »
I have noted that in a few books KJ applegate explains advanced physics concepts in strangely accurate ways. I believe at one point she may have taken an interest in physics. For example she explains the concept of zero space in book 44 (I think) and explains the abilities of the elimist in the andalite chronicles.

However this mainly depends on if the concepts are actual.

I think it is interesting that she is capable of such logical thinking and an extremly moralistic person at the same time.
We must extract the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture! Get...THE COMFY CHAIR!

Offline musicman88

Re: Knowledge of the author
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:09:03 PM »
Well, if you're going to write about something it's a good idea to do some research first.  Being a scientist (in training anyway...) myself I always hate it when people just make stuff up and pretend that's how it works... especially when it's clearly way off.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:15 AM »
That is probably one of the hardest things about being a writer, sure its fiction, but if you want to be credible fiction you have to know what the hell you're talking about. And doing research is such a b**** for me, as a young writer, because it can be so hard for the mind to grasp the concepts of topics you never thought in a million years you'd ever be covering, and I don't want to sound like I'm forcing it. See, once you do do the reasearch, you have to learn to assimiliate it into the culture and language of the actual character (whether its a person, place, or thing) that proposes the actual ideas involving whatever it is you researched, so thats a whole other skill necessary to pull it off.

Even in the latter books, i think The Deception? The ghostwriter said her research involved contacting the actual military until she was able to gather info from a source who was actually in the military. He gave her all the information about war craft that she needed to know, and even read over most of her chapters to make sure she got it right.

Phew...Hard sh!t (pardon my language)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:29:34 PM by filmstu2005 »

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 04:02:44 AM »
But on the flipside of the topic, didn't it fun to do research on something for a fic/story? I mean, for a lot of people, researching a topic can sometimes open up knowledge to them that they would think "Wow. Really? So-in-so did this to later on do this?"

Perfect example of this, Dan Brown for his novels. All-in-all, he went on trips to actual locations, talked to experts, etc, etc, etc to make the information for the audience believable for when he ADDED his own twist of fiction to these real world events, etc.

Offline anijen21

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »
yeah, just rereading the Andalite Chronicles, I was really impressed. There are indications of an understanding of string theory years before I even knew it was a thing. I found out about it with that Nova special, but she definitely grasps some advanced physics ideas. Very cool.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
That is probably one of the hardest things about being a writer, sure its fiction, but if you want to be credible fiction you have to know what the hell you're talking about. And doing research is such a b**** for me, as a young writer, because it can be so hard for the mind to grasp the concepts of topics you never thought in a million years you'd ever be covering, and I don't want to sound like I'm forcing it. See, once you do do the reasearch, you have to learn to assimiliate it into the culture and language of the actual character that proposes the actual ideas involving whatever it is you researched, so thats a whole other skill necessary to pull it off.

Even in the latter books, i think The Deception? The ghostwriter said her research involved contacting the actual military until she was able to gather info from a source who was actually in the military. He gave her all the information about war craft that she needed to know, and even read over most of her chapters to make sure she got it right.

Phew...Hard sh!t (pardon my language)

I so understand you! I'm trying to write a novel, an SF novel! And I'll have to make researches to not do too big mistakes... It'll be hard...
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline rocklobster

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
But on the flipside of the topic, didn't it fun to do research on something for a fic/story? I mean, for a lot of people, researching a topic can sometimes open up knowledge to them that they would think "Wow. Really? So-in-so did this to later on do this?"

Perfect example of this, Dan Brown for his novels. All-in-all, he went on trips to actual locations, talked to experts, etc, etc, etc to make the information for the audience believable for when he ADDED his own twist of fiction to these real world events, etc.

Yeah, and he still got Italy's geography wrong!  As well as lots of other stuff.  But that's  :offtopic:

Offline QIfry

• A 28 year old that won't grow up. Growing up sucks
    • M.O.R.P.H. - An Animorphs Fancomic Series
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
]Yeah, and he still got Italy's geography wrong!  As well as lots of other stuff.  But that's  :offtopic:

Granted. But I think he mostly did that to help his locations of the four elemental markers would match up in a so-undirect way. See, another part of being an author, you can warp anything you want.

Offline filmstu2005

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »

You're right about that. It is a lot of fun (as it is hard) to research different subjects. I mean, I'm a guy who loves learning about new things. Its just applying them to my writing that's slightly difficult. But its a great challange just the same and I love learning how to execute it effectively.

The saying goes, "If you don't learn something new everyday, you're an ASS."

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 06:31:43 PM by filmstu2005 »

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
It's hard to learn something new EVERY day, unless I really go out of my way. Unless reading a certain webcomic that updates daily counts as learning something new.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline musicman88

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
Well then you're an ASS!
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »
Aww...that makes me feel bad. Screw whoever said that, then! I have better things to do with my time.

Ani-Master 2014!

esplin

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 12:21:52 AM »
Its KA, not KJ lol sorry XD

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 12:23:01 AM »
He got the author's name wrong! smite him to death!!

joking.  ;D

Ani-Master 2014!