Author Topic: Group Re-Read: #29 The Sickness  (Read 12682 times)

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
Re: Group Re-Read: #29 The Sickness
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
Maybe, since the Andalites are a telepathic species, the other Animorphs didn't get sick but just really, really believed they were getting sick beause Ax was projecting his own feelings of illness . . . I dunno.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 08:17:27 AM »
Maybe, since the Andalites are a telepathic species, the other Animorphs didn't get sick but just really, really believed they were getting sick beause Ax was projecting his own feelings of illness . . . I dunno.

That's.... actually a pretty good theory. Stuff like that actually happens in real life, where people will show symtoms of an illness they don't have, because they believe they really DO have it.

There's a name for it, but I forget...

But anyway, with the Andalite telepathy, the above could be enhanced.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
That seems believable. More believable than them actually getting infected by something that should still be contained in Ax's body.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Myitt

• Mangiatore dei gatti -- RAFcapella
  • Gold Donor
  • Don't you mean extinct...?
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »

Because Aftran's whale morph wasn't a gift it was an execution, they took an experienced soldier, one with the resources and charisma to found a resistance in the enemy's army, and throw her into a bigger Yeerk pool (Coming soon, The Ocean: the bigger, better Yeerk pool experience, no infestation vacation, no leaving to explore the land, no friends ever . . . now comes with free predators and polution. But hey, you won't die if you reproduce so live it up girl! Go get together with a being who's level of sentience is entirely different from your own, leaving you as stated before, truly and wholly alone in that big blue yeerk pool devoid of the colors you fell in love with) Aftran probably agreed because hey, guess what, the alternative was death and we know how Yeerks are about that, they say she chose whale but that's an incredibly out of character moment for her, I call it a lie on Cassie's part to make up for the fact that Aftran was screwed royal. Frankly I think the reason it didn't occur to them to let the Yeerks use morphing technology right then and there had to do partially with the fact that a Yeerk would have to be really desperate to agree to it, I mean it's like saying "hey, you there, stop being human, it is bad for you and everyone else, be a dolphin, they are fun loving hapiness machines who never experience a violent thought--except when there are sharks around!" you'd stare at the person saying that, shake your head, mutter something under your breath and walk away, some people would be all for it, just as some Yeerks were all for it, but the Yeerks didn't take "one-time-morphing" as a savior to their race, in fact it nearly wiped out their race, forced them to become "lesser" beings with (it's implied in the case of humans) shorter life spans. They took to it as part of the terms of their losing the war, they essentially had the option of morphing once and forever, or being confined to a yeerk pool for all existence, even if Cassie had had the thought then it wouldn't have come to anything, the Yeerks still had enough power to do things their way and I say bully for them!

This actually cracked me up, haha...and I agree with you.  I always thought it was a terrible waste of an important resource and ally to have her morph into a whale, even if Aftran did supposedly choose it.  It also would've been interesting if the Chee had taken her in, or, *gasp!* an actual self-sustaining YPM had been introduced. 

But that's pretty much my roleplaying characters, and the militant crazy Yeerks in #41...damn.  We never really got any more of Yeerk civil unrest in the form of major characters after Aftran, and that was disappointing.

Here's something--why didn't Aftran get sick?  She was touching the stinkin' tria gland after all.  Can Yeerks get sick, or would they have natural immunity to illness to prevent complications and death inside their hosts' brains?  I guess we'll never know  ::)

"Screw drugs.  Smoke RAF." - Ash

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
I don't know why aftran didn't get sick. Maybe there just wasn't enough time for her to really feel the effects. I also wonder why she didn't seem to bothered about being put in a host that could die any second. Host death can kill the Yeerk. I kind of expected her to comment on that. Did Cassie know that a Yeerk could die if his/her host died?

I think it's obvious that KA didn't want to take any spotlight away from the Anis. Not a lot of detail was given to the Chee, Free Horks, YPM, or Auxilaries. At least, not as muich as there could have been.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
you know now that i think about it you are right.
It seems she avoided giving more details on purpose.

also i agree

That's.... actually a pretty good theory. Stuff like that actually happens in real life, where people will show symtoms of an illness they don't have, because they believe they really DO have it.

There's a name for it, but I forget...

But anyway, with the Andalite telepathy, the above could be enhanced.

i mean Aximili was morphing demorphing at first. That never happened to the others.
and Cassie didn't get sick and neither did Aftran who was closer to the actual TiraGland. I think yeah they were horribly sick  but it might have all been in their minds
IF you consider how they were reacting. Jake got to the point of being unable to walk. but Marco only needed a baby aspirin. No one got sick until after they were informed that it was contagious. (if I'm wrong sorry )

===============================================

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
Which means Cassie never got sick because she was too busy to worry about it? She was so focused on Aftran and Ax that she didn't let it get to her.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 02:15:49 PM »
Exactly =D

at least that is what i think

===============================================

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 11:57:56 AM »
I don't know why aftran didn't get sick. Maybe there just wasn't enough time for her to really feel the effects. I also wonder why she didn't seem to bothered about being put in a host that could die any second. Host death can kill the Yeerk. I kind of expected her to comment on that. Did Cassie know that a Yeerk could die if his/her host died?
maybe because aftran was prepared to die, even asking cassie to kill her, so she didn't mind host death killing her since she thought she was gonna die either way.

I definitely get the feeling that she's fond of whales. She gave them a kind of sentience, and our Favorite Mary Sue got one in the first book she narrated.
who are you talking about? no one got a whale morph in the first book he/she narrated?
Jake - book 1 - no whale
rachel - book 2 - no whale
tobias - book 3 - not even morph capable
cassie - book 4 - mention of whales, but no morphing of whales
marco - book 5 - no whale
ax - megamorph #1 - morphing of whales, but he wasn't the one who morphed it.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
Well, Cassie aquired a whale. That's where she got the morph from.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
Well, Cassie aquired a whale. That's where she got the morph from.
she acquired it in megamorphs #1

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
Where did she aquire a whale morph in megamorphs 1?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »
around the last few chapters. it was how they defeated the veleek

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
From the way I read it, it seemed like she already had the morph. I don't remember any mention or description of her finding a humpback whale to acquire.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline anijen21

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »
no morf is right, the whale said something like "strange cloud above" and then cassie is like "I LOVE ANIMALS AND I NEED YOUR PERMISSION FOR YOUR DNA PLEAAASE"

and the whale was like "yeah w/e"
I go off topic on purpose.