Author Topic: Nothlit?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
Nothlit?
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:32:55 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8023295.stm

Always was my favourite class of animals. Imagine a world where avian creatures were the dominant species. Kinda difficult without flexible limbs to make tools etc though so this is quite impressive.

Has anyone tried talking to Betty?
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
Re: Nothlit?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »
Tobias wouldn't be too happy to see that crows and bluejays are listed as intelligent.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
but they are XD  even if he doesn't like it
i used to have a jay as a pet so i know they are smart

===============================================

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
oh no, crows are highly intelligent birds.  Dunno about bluejays.  Last one I saw flew into a window so hard it knocked itself out for two hours...not kidding either.

African Greys are also considered highly intelligent - some scientist I read about actually had an african grey she thought was capable of not just using tools, but of logic and reasoning skills too.  It was in a national geographic or something.  And they pick EVERYTHING you say up, so be careful if you get one and don't want it cussing a blue-streak.  My ex-boss knew one that could be handed a piece of toast, look at it, go "want butter", and would hand it back until it got butter on the toast.
Not all who wander are lost

Offline EmberGryphon

• Dust from a Distant Sun
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
African Greys are also considered highly intelligent - some scientist I read about actually had an african grey she thought was capable of not just using tools, but of logic and reasoning skills too.
Alex! 8D

*nods* I knew crows and magpies have been considered extremely intelligent and adaptable recently... Crows in Japan perch on traffic lights and drop hard nuts in front of cars, let the cars break 'em open, then wait for the lights to change color so the traffic stops and they can eat the nuts... It's pretty sweet. =3
*goes to read the article*

Offline Nomad Frog

• Wanderer
  • God
  • I Am Iron Frog
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:39:46 PM »
Yes!  I think it was ALEX!  Spiffy :D 

Even just my little Rosie is quite the braniac.  I just have to look at the cage cover at night and I hear her go "night-night".  *nods*
Not all who wander are lost

Offline SkyMorpher

• Fly high, seek peace, God bless (Formerly Animel23
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:51:33 PM »

Always was my favourite class of animals. Imagine a world where avian creatures were the dominant species. Kinda difficult without flexible limbs to make tools etc though so this is quite impressive.

Have you ever checked out the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky? It's set in a world like that. Sort of. Earth but without any humans anymore.

Offline goom

• the underling of underlings
  • Administrator
  • no other distinguishing characteristics.
    • Twitch.TV Streams
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:39 AM »
yeah, crows are actually pretty smart.
nice article.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »
I've known for some years that crows were intelligent. Also AFrican grey parrots. Alex was a very cool bird. rest in peace, little friend.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Aquilai

• Imagination is imperative in ingenuity
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

Have you ever checked out the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky? It's set in a world like that. Sort of. Earth but without any humans anymore.

I'd be interested in reading that actually at some point (google might have some ebook results). Just thought wasn't the Ellimists (original) species avian? Granted they had hands. Who knows somewhere in the dark reaches of space there might be a species like that...
Temporal Traveller Aquilai: "One small step back in time. One GIANT leap for mankind."
"People live their lives bound by what they accept as correct and true. That's how they define "reality". But what does it mean to be "correct" or "true"? Merely vague concepts… their "reality" may all be a mirage. Can we consider them to simply be living in their own world, shaped by their beliefs?"