Author Topic: Debate: 90's X Contemporary?  (Read 5792 times)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
Re: Debate: 90's X Contemporary?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »
lol I know ^^ But I already say my opinion about changing the end :P
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline rossabo

• For great justice!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:24 AM »
I think that the Animorphs should always be set in the 90's. One of the reasons is because Rachel is a "valley girl," and valley girls were extremely common in the 90's. Nowadays, while the malls are still popular, they don't have the same cultural importance that they did in the 90's. Maybe it's due to recent recessions/wars/online shopping.

Most importantly, the 90's as a whole makes for an ironic contrast to the alien invasion theme. Despite how I may look back upon the 90's as a more pleasant time due to nostalgia, it still seems like the 90's were a more upbeat time in general. They didn't have all of the "fear tactics" that were introduced since 9/11, and we weren't in any wars. So it makes it more ironic that, while people think that they're completely safe and that life is going great, there is an entire alien invasion happening (literally) beneath their feet.

Offline SuperBlue

• God
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 05:32:57 AM »
well seeing as the 90's werent too different from now. You could go either way without hearing any fan complaints. I think you should revamp it
Richard is really Anna in disguise!

Thread of the Year(simsRAF) and Fan Fiction of the Year(RAFamorphs)[2011] Funniest Member[2012]
Quote from: 12:34:05 AM (horsefan1023)
  Glaflafock
I'm Sealie's Wonder Twin. Jess, Cody, and Demos' brother. And Estrid and Nate's father/great grandfather(time machine, don't ask)

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 06:04:20 AM »
It's a good point, rossabo, about the mall culture (I still don't quite know what 'valley' girls are) and that 'false sense of security' of the 90's. Yeah, they are part of that decade, and were portrayed well through the series.
But some things really haven't changed now days... I, too, reckon the 90's aren't that much different from what we have now days. Not like, say, in comparison to the 70's.
I think, an Animorphs comic could get away with having, for example, Marco typing away on a computer with flatscreen instead of those bulgie monitors; or Rachel listening to a slick-CD-player, but not an IPOD.
I've got mixed feelings.

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
i reckon that you could get away with changing somethings, like Marco's monitor and yeah, rachel with a diskman... but not everything

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline rossabo

• For great justice!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
It's a good point, rossabo, about the mall culture (I still don't quite know what 'valley' girls are) and that 'false sense of security' of the 90's.
If you don't know what valley-girls are, you should watch the 1995 movie, "clueless."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFR9TNsByLk

Another point to think about is that I'm sure most of the viewers are going to be nostalgia lovers who google Animorphs after remembering their childhood and hopefully finding the webcomic through the search engine.

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
the biggest impact on Animorphs in the 00s is the 9-11 and aftermath of that.

Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline Cloudbreaker

• My activity may be at/near 0% but I'm still here.
    • Animorphs: The Revival
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
I always thought it would be better to have the story set at the present time.  That was one of the things I liked most about the series.  The sense that the invasion was happening in the world you are living in.  To me, having it take place a decade ago would make it seem more like just a story and less like an unseen event that you had top secret information about.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
Again, a valid point too.
Should a visual storytelling of the Animorphs series be the whole 'Secret Invasion' feel which would evoke the same feelings we had when we read the series or a faithful 'Nostalgic record' of the 90's?!?!?