Author Topic: Debate: 90's X Contemporary?  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Gafrash

Debate: 90's X Contemporary?
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:07:31 AM »
Wanted to hear people's opinion, on was whether they would like to see an Animorphs Graphic Novel based on a record of the teenagers in the 90's (like it was portrayed in the book series) OR if they would rather see a more contemporary one (call it 'revamped', if you will) with 'updated' stuff, where we see the equivalent replacements at work.

A contemporary work would mean that The Invasion would have started NOW DAYS, as opposed to a decade ago. And it would make the Andalite X Yeerk war virtually a decade longer.
For example; things like technology would change. Instead of a blocky-monitor the characters would have being using an LCD-screen monitor on their CPUs; instead of a SNES or 64, they would have been using a PS3 or Xbox or something different. The Anis would be more 'switched on' on online stuff. Rachel would use a proper hair-straightener and even be wearing more updated fashion.

I do understand that you would lose a few elements that made us connect so much with the series. BUT, if a new Graphic Novel series is going to be made, wouldn't something more fresh and recent add something new to the series, too?!

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
Re: Debate: 90's X Contemporary?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:50:25 AM »
i reckon that it should be around half way between the 90's and today (think around 2000/2005)

GESB Character: Subject #2218
Intro Rando Character: Hunter

'There are days I hate being me, but then again, I'm not you.'

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »
It's a good point, and better to answer this important question before you go too far in the story...
But I can't choose. Both ideas are cool. I'd like to see how would be the story if it'd happen now, but I also like to remember the "good old days" lol
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 01:54:15 AM »
thats a god point dameg, but i still stand by what i said just before...

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:30:26 AM »
I think the war finished around the turn of the Millenium. See, this was another nice touch to the series.
I too am unsure, to be honest. As much as I like seeing how we can interpret the info given in the books, I do lean towards seeing stuff that is 'the same, done with a "new" thing' to it. I wouldn't want to see just a repeat.
It's a tricky one.

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:13 AM »
hmm yanno i really dont know... also, wasn't there a reference to the twin towers in one of the books?

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 06:12:37 AM »
I understand you, Gafrash. And you too, Hunter.
About the "finished around the Millennium" thing, if you mean that many people talked about the "end of the World", you can change that and take the end (or in fact the "big change") announced in 2012 :P And then the story should begin now.
You also can decide that the war of the Animorphs is longer. For example they begin to fight when they're 12 years old, near 1999 for example, then they fight until they're near university, so until they're about 19 years old (with the beginning in 1999, the end would be 2006). So more things can change, you also can have fun with the side stories at school or with friends-who-aren't-Animorphs... See, if you wanna change a little the story for the comics (and it's a good idea, I think!), you can do it in many ways. You also can create you own little side stories or take some funny things from the best fanfictions...

About the twin towers, I'm not sure... Wasn't it the Empire State Building? ^^'

PS: Gafrash, did you add your species in the thread http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2154.0.html? Because there are still a "unknown" Yeerk...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:35:38 AM »
I understand you, Gafrash. And you too, Hunter.
About the "finished around the Millennium" thing, if you mean that many people talked about the "end of the World", you can change that and take the end (or in fact the "big change") announced in 2012 :P And then the story should begin now.
You also can decide that the war of the Animorphs is longer. For example they begin to fight when they're 12 years old, near 1999 for example, then they fight until they're near university, so until they're about 19 years old (with the beginning in 1999, the end would be 2006). So more things can change, you also can have fun with the side stories at school or with friends-who-aren't-Animorphs... See, if you wanna change a little the story for the comics (and it's a good idea, I think!), you can do it in many ways. You also can create you own little side stories or take some funny things from the best fanfictions...

About the twin towers, I'm not sure... Wasn't it the Empire State Building? ^^'

PS: Gafrash, did you add your species in the thread http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2154.0.html? Because there are still a "unknown" Yeerk...

ya know, thats actually a really good idea, changing the story like that... and when (this is just an idea) the comic date reaches (sorry if this offends anyone) september 11, you can have the animorphs theorise that the attacks were yeerk organised... (just an idea is all *cringes in fear of being smote/smitten*)

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
Yeah! why not! True, you can use the things who happened the last decade in the story ^^
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline ThinkAgain

• Jr. Xtreme Member
  • What to say?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
I don't know... One of the best things I get out of re-reading animorphs is the the nostalgia, and I'd like that to stay.

In other words, I'd like to keep it in the original timeframe.

One thing that made me laugh upon a recent re-read... I can't remember what book, but Ax and Marco were talking about internet speeds. Macro says that his internet has a speed of 16k bits, or something like that. Ax says something like, "Thousands? Not even millions?" and now, I can download at about 2mb/s (which is 2 million bits) on a good server.

What does it mean to be free?

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
no, i think he said it was 56k or somethin like that... (man i hate 56k...)

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:33:56 AM »
I don't know... One of the best things I get out of re-reading animorphs is the the nostalgia, and I'd like that to stay....
See, I parlty feel this way, too.
It's a valid point because the artist wants to evoke feelings (such as nostalgia) through his/her visuals. BUT Animorphs is such a narrative drama series. HOW does an artist make an Animorphs comic if not scratching some of the wordy stuff out?

The reason I am leaning towards more contemporary stuff because it would be The Animorphs with a new refreshing spin to it. BUT NOT a comic book that runs parallel to it, slave to its description.

About the "finished around the Millennium" thing, if you mean that many people talked about the "end of the World", you can change that and take the end (or in fact the "big change") announced in 2012 :P...
You guys have grasped what I was alluding to, in terms of the whole fear of the ending of the Millenium. It did go with the whole uncertainty of how the war would end on Earth, didn't it?!
And, yes, I too have heard plenty about December 2012... There's a similar 'feel', isn't there?!

...You also can decide that the war of the Animorphs is longer. For example they begin to fight when they're 12 years old, near 1999 for example, then they fight until they're near university, so until they're about 19 years old (with the beginning in 1999, the end would be 2006). So more things can change, you also can have fun with the side stories at school or with friends-who-aren't-Animorphs... See, if you wanna change a little the story for the comics (and it's a good idea, I think!), you can do it in many ways. You also can create you own little side stories or take some funny things from the best fanfictions...
See these are the decisions that need to be meticulously made prior to sitting down and producing the work.
3 years felt like it was too little, but when you think about it it's actually not.
To make it 10 years long, opens up a whole new world of ideas to play with, which is good, but can also side-track us from the main thing. Next thing we know we'll be changing the ending...  ::) ::)which wouldn't be a bad idea...:o :o :o I DID NOT SAY THAT!!! :o :o :o

...ya know, thats actually a really good idea, changing the story like that... and when (this is just an idea) the comic date reaches (sorry if this offends anyone) september 11, you can have the animorphs theorise that the attacks were yeerk organised... (just an idea is all *cringes in fear of being smote/smitten*)
I am uncertain with the Twin Towers reference in the series.
A plot based on recent incidents, such as the Two Towers Terrorist attack, could be a good premise, but highly unlikely we could create a story based on such a taboo thing so soon. HOWEVER, through artistic license, a writer can generate a similar incident in the story to 'stand for' the Two Towers. There's no rules against that?!

[/quote]
...PS: Gafrash, did you add your species in the thread http://animorphsforum.com/forum/index.php/topic,2154.0.html? Because there are still a "unknown" Yeerk...
Hmmm.... Look out for a Hork-Bajir-Controller. But should I be under Yeerk or Animorphs species?!?!?!? "Nghaaaaaarrrrrgh me confused right now." ;D

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:05:09 AM »
PS: You should be under "Yeerk". Because Animorphs species is about "other species", and your body doesn't really count.

Please don't change too much the end, or at least don't make it a happy end!
If 10 years is too much, why not 5 or 6? It's between "longer so you can have more ideas" and "short like the true story"...
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
My Forum

Offline Hunter

• The RAFdoctor
  • God
  • The resident Furry!
    • My FA
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 04:18:42 AM »
i think about the twin towers reference is when they are booted into the future by the (non)meddler, they say something about it being the main earth based kandrona generator... (or something like that)

Offline Gafrash

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »
Dameg, we can hardly change the end when we haven't done anything... We're just discussing options here.