Author Topic: The ending to the series *spoilers*  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: The ending to the series *spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »
Yeah, that's a good summary of what she said.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »
Didn't she release some statement saying "OMG I HAVE MAH REASONS, GET THE **** OVER IT?"

I get major George Lucas vibes from her, seriously. If she does write those 5 additional books she has a LOT of retconning to do.

Which didn't help her cause.  Her BS explanation only made me that much angrier.  She may have had her reasons but what about her debt to her loyal fans?  We have our own reasons too.  She should be flattered that we just can't "get over it".  But then she would have to actually give a $%&* about the series which she made it clear enough that she didn't.  (Series over, here's my new one!  Bull.)
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
Yeah. I was glad to read the response, but it still didn't mend my "wound". Of course the general message was that she wanted her story to be as realistic as possible, and that she respected the fans too much to do it any other way. Maybe she was a Harry Potter ending hater too. Who knows. It's real obvious that she lost interest. Otherwise she wouldn't have started Everworld. I read that she started that in the hopes of not losing fans that grew out of Animorphs, but that's just wrong.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline EscafilDevice

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
I've never bought the idea of the ending being realistic. The entire series is unrealistic to begin with, but what's certainly unrealistic is having a character that is inconsistently crazy.

Offline Darth Revan

• Master of the Star Forge!
  • Gold Donor
  • Now you see the true Dark Lord of the Sith!
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
Yeah the ending sucked hard!

I know the argument is that its not realistic for no one to die in a book series, but you know what? I have enough reality in my real life, that's why I read books is to escape from reality!

I agree whole-heartedly with this statement. I read to get away from reality! I don't want it shoved back in my face.

I think she lost interest because the ghost writers screwed up the series so.

But Remnants was an AWESOME series. Very cool. There are some beloved characters that get the ax, but still the series/story as a whole is amazing. One book will make you hate KA, but then the next book makes you fall back in love with her again. You shouldn't shun it just because you feel gipped by her less passionate work.
RAFengaged to Midnight_Huntress

Alic

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 04:28:25 AM »
Maybe if she really would have gone over what the ghost writers wrote she would not have let them **** it up

Offline JFalcon

• I need to get out more . . .
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 04:31:49 AM »
Well I like the ending because of the emotion it draws up in a reader, but I do agree that if felt like there should have been a few more pages, or a couple more books, and I can understand and again agree that most people read books to escape reality. The series was pretty out there at some points (I mean a bunch of birds of prey saving a guy from jumping out of a building?) so trying to have a "realistic" ending led to utter shell shock, K.A. should probably have been telling the ghost writers to get darker as the series continued to avoid that.

However there's a saying, nothing ventured nothing gained. I can understand not wanting a character to die, I didn't want Rachel or anyone else to die, however to me the fact that they could and did didn't just make the story more realistic it made it more memorable, it still stirs up emotion in most of the people here today, right?

But I do remember being pretty peeved with the advertisement at the end of the book, it kind of felt out of place, I mean it's one thing for a book to advertise for another book in the back few pages, it's another for a writer's final word on one series to be an advertisement for her next, or so I felt the first time I read it . . . I dont think I've read it a second so what I remember of it is probably worse than it really was.
"I would be a ghost of this dynasty before I'd be a general of rebels and traitors!" ~ Pang De, Romance of the Three Kingdoms

"My brain! My brain! Me hurty to think!" ~ Zim, Invader Zim

"Fight it off? You must have me confused with someone who's brave." ~ Church, Red vs Blue

Offline KOFSoldier

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
Well I like the ending because of the emotion it draws up in a reader, but I do agree that if felt like there should have been a few more pages, or a couple more books, and I can understand and again agree that most people read books to escape reality. The series was pretty out there at some points (I mean a bunch of birds of prey saving a guy from jumping out of a building?) so trying to have a "realistic" ending led to utter shell shock, K.A. should probably have been telling the ghost writers to get darker as the series continued to avoid that.

However there's a saying, nothing ventured nothing gained. I can understand not wanting a character to die, I didn't want Rachel or anyone else to die, however to me the fact that they could and did didn't just make the story more realistic it made it more memorable, it still stirs up emotion in most of the people here today, right?

But I do remember being pretty peeved with the advertisement at the end of the book, it kind of felt out of place, I mean it's one thing for a book to advertise for another book in the back few pages, it's another for a writer's final word on one series to be an advertisement for her next, or so I felt the first time I read it . . . I dont think I've read it a second so what I remember of it is probably worse than it really was.

I definitely agree with you about Rachel's death making the book more memorable. I also agree about the series not being realistic at all, I mean, the Ellimist giving Tobias his powers back kind of detracted from his tragic-ness.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »

Honestly it wasn't just the fact that Rachel died that p*$$&# me off.  It was that her death was totally unneccessary and meaningless the way it was written.  Write in a storyline where she MUST die for a legit reason and I could have accepted it.  I've read many books where great characters die and haven't been nearly so upset. 

Dying on an unneccessary suicide mission that had no effect other than to finish Jake's personal war...pathetic.  So I agree with you insofar as the death itself wasn't really the problem.  It was the writer's execution (or lack thereof) of the awful storyline that really did it.  It seemed like she didn't care enough to write something believable to do Rachel justice. 

Then she follows it up by saying "now read the new book that stole my attention from the Animorphs and made the ending suck!"  Needless to say, I was sooooo angry.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
I have stated before that, had Tom's yeerk not been stopped, he would have killed everyone on the pool ship. Though it is kind of odd that not a single other Yeerk felt like doing the same thing. And that the Bladeship just happens to elude the nearby Andalites.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2009, 05:38:46 PM »
I have stated before that, had Tom's yeerk not been stopped, he would have killed everyone on the pool ship. Though it is kind of odd that not a single other Yeerk felt like doing the same thing. And that the Bladeship just happens to elude the nearby Andalites.

Which was, as I previously stated (maybe...) that therefore her mission accomplished practically nothing as the Animorphs were actually bailed out by a stupid plot hole from the author (the other Yeerks just mysteriously deciding to fly off).  Thus, she was sent on a mission that had no real purpose other than to kill Tom.  Realistically she had nothing to do with saving the pool ship.  She just killed Tom to finish off Jake's personal vendetta.  Where's the profound meaning (or even relevance) in that?

Not to mention that the entire final "mission" was poorly conceived to begin with and had no business working (culminating in Jake's idiotic backup plan that shouldn't have worked but somehow did).
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2009, 05:44:41 PM »
So let's pick apart the final plan. Rachel's mission didn't really accomplich much besides Tom not becoming the next Eva. And they lucked out that no one cried "Veangance for our leader!"  and fired. The decoy could have been done better, with holograms and perhaps some tanks and stuff that could possibly fly themselves. I don't know why the yeerks suddenly have a device that can detect if someone is alive or not. That came out of left field with little relevance.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »
So let's pick apart the final plan. Rachel's mission didn't really accomplich much besides Tom not becoming the next Eva. And they lucked out that no one cried "Veangance for our leader!"  and fired. The decoy could have been done better, with holograms and perhaps some tanks and stuff that could possibly fly themselves. I don't know why the yeerks suddenly have a device that can detect if someone is alive or not. That came out of left field with little relevance.

Yeah.  That was just wierd.  Another reason to just inflate the kill count.

Why not send enough aux animorphs with Rachel (yes, they can sneak in morphing bugs as they have done the entire series) to actually take the bladeship.  Or, hmmm..., use one of the save-the-day (not to mention indestructible) androids to get on the bladeship and disable it too!  That would seem like the best choice...

Maybe they shouldn't have based so much of their plan on being invited onto the poolship (and banking on the Yeerks not having a living-sensor-thing on board so the hologram of Cassie could work).  ome on Visser 3/1.  I know you're evil but that's no reason to be so stupid (though he was pretty much that way the entire series so I'm not too bothered by that point).

Oh, and maybe you don't want to disable all the poolships' systems permanently.  Could just turn them off for a bit...

I could go on forever.
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."