Author Topic: The ending to the series *spoilers*  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Aaronus

The ending to the series *spoilers*
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »
As one who prefers the happy ending, I don't like the way the Animorphs ended. Many of them died, their internal characters changed, and dreams went unfulfilled. I find it very depressing to read the last few books despite highly enjoying the rest. What would you think of rewriting the ending to make it a happy ending? Save Rachel, put Jake and Cassie together, help Tobias reenter society, and don't end vaguely on some mission in space where our main characters seem to get captured or killed.

The ending does seem realistic, however.  War does change people.  If rewriting is a terrible idea, perhaps you would like to explain to me how the ending is actually good or what you like about it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:33:16 PM by goom »

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
Re: The ending to the series
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:21:25 AM »
Well...I'm with you on Jake and Cassie. They should've stayed together!

But like you said, it's realistic. I think I do prefer this ending to a happier one, because it's not what you expect. They beat the yeerks, but it wasn't a happy ending.

But yes, it does make you feel a bit down after you've finished reading.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:34:41 AM »
I agree maybe make it a semi happy ending. not YAY everything is fixed have some issues here and there.
If someone had to die maybe only one . The crazy ending where they all seem to crash and die was just a little to much .

===============================================

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »
I'm not in favor of rewriting the ending, because 1) I'm positive it's been done a kaflillion times already on ff.net or wherever and 2) I liked the ending.

Why? because I like very depressing and sad things, and now that I think of it, our choir piece this semester is very depressing and sad and all about the horrors of war and a lot of people hate it but I love it so I guess that's just how I am.  I could go more into detail about why I like the depressingness, but it's been discussed in great detail here before.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »
I suppose if I can handle VC Andrews I can handle Animorph's ending.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:16:28 AM »
Applegate wanted to show how war is terrible. If she wrote a happy ending, so what? You fight, you win, you're happy!? Not realistic, and the same message than many many movies and books and other stories... The ending is a part of her message, change it and the sense of the message is changed.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
I know there was a message, but it seemed like she was trying to shove it down oujr throats with the ending. Wheras in the rest of the series, we could take it or not even notice it much.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline RYTX

• Shadow and Flame
  • Xtreme Member
  • Pretend I said something clever
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
It took me years to come to like the ending. I don't jump up and down at it now, but it's a bitter sweet thing that I think was well.
I don't do ff, so I can't think of some wonderous thing were everyone is happy without making myself nauseous. The end we got left the story open. Like I said, it took me a long time to reach that conclusion, but at this point I have little reason to believe more than one of them is gone.
But that's for people to draw on their own I suppose
Something, something, oh crap I pissed everyone off again....

Offline Shark Akhrrana

• OOOH FISH
    • Chronicles of Hyrule
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
I understand how K.A wanted the readers to see how war hurts people on both sides. but i think she kind of over did it.
with the whole crashing with the one thing. and how Aximili died .. that was just to strange to me. it had nothing to do with the whole war that I can see. it was a whole other issue.

===============================================

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
alright, i just finished the series again after like 3 years, i found this site like a month ago and decided to read them again, but i really didnt like the ending. bah!!!! cliffhangers suck. can anyone recomend any good fan fiction?

Offline Shock

• Xtreme Member
  • Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »
personally, i liked the ending.

up until the epic cliff hanger..
Cannibals are seriously messed up
[17:05:27] Reiyn: Shock's tact and diplomacy is unparalleled.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart, he dreams himself your master
Quote from: K.A. Applegate
So sorry to get you into writing. What a horrible thing to inflict on you. Should have just sold you crack.

Offline senter.pat

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
Yes thats what I'm talkin about. I liked the ending up until the cliffhanger, i just wish she had continued and kept writing them. Maybe have have Animorphs: Voyage something. I would like to know what happens after.

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 05:21:51 PM »
I remember reading the last sentence then turning the page, expecting there to be more, and then being like wth that's it??

Offline wotw2112

Re: The ending to the series *spoilers*
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »
If KA really wanted her message to be "war is terrible" then maybe she shouldn't have waited until the last book.  What about the rest of the series?  Why do we suddenly need someone to die for shock value in the finale after they get through so much crazy stuff the entire series.  I just thought it was cheap, cheesy, and lazy.

If you're going to have a message, actually develop it at some point.

Add the ghostwriter bit, the unnecessary cliffhanger ending that was frankly unfair to dedicated readers, the general stupidity and out-of-character actions of the characters in the last few books(see Jake's vendetta against Tom and the lack of a single good reason for the suicide mission), the implausible and idiotic end sequence, and Cassie's essential abandonment of the rest of the group for the final "mission"...

Needless to say I hated it and will forever.

I did like that Jake and Cassie didn't end up together...Cassie deserved a horrible death though, not happily-ever-after like she got.  Unfair.
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Chad32

• God
Re: The ending to the series *spoilers*
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
Why do so many people overlook the fact that, had Rachel not stopped Tom's Yeerk on the blade ship, everyone would have died? What did you think the Yeerk was planning tio do after flying to the Pool Ship? Gloat, then fly away?

Otherwise, I agree with you. Why spoil Ax and Marco's happiness, and jake's beginnings of coping with a Bolivian Army ending?

Ani-Master 2014!