Author Topic: How did you react to the Ellimist Chronicles?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline Hylian Dan

How did you react to the Ellimist Chronicles?
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
...after reading the prologue and epilogue?

I don't remember exactly how I felt, but I know I was really confused. I had missed book 46 since my bookstore didn't have it, and it was the only time I'd missed an Animorphs book like that. And the whole plot was starting to change in every book, so there were a number of details I was confused about. At first I was wondering if I had missed something, then I realized that the death hadn't happened yet, of course.

As the last few books were coming out, I sort of forgot about the impending death, possibly due to my hoping that it wouldn't really happen. Then came 54, and I saw the inside cover with the conversation with the Ellimist again...it was sad.

The line about the strand of space-time going dark and coiling into nothingness was really depressing and hard to take in.

Offline Bladeh Mercury

• Xtreme Member
  • Beware of my love of cats!
Re: How did you react to the Ellimist Chronicles?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »
I took out of my school library last year,(by that time, I was almost done reading the entire series) and read it a couple times.
The only part I did get was the whole andalite/pemalite scene. It was interesting to me.

Offline nothlitlifestyles

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:51:08 PM »
I personally felt let down by the ellimist chronicles, I expected it to be the answer to all my questions and tie up all the loose ends but it seemed to create its own questions and answer those. I wanted so badly to learn more about the time matrix and the crayak and so much more. I liked the book I just..... I dont know... I guess it was a good book I just expected something else

Offline AniDragon

• Gold Donor
  • Train of thought, like broken pencil, has no point
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »
I liked it, personally. I really liked the Ketran, and I liked how the Ellimist created the Pemalites. It gave an extra backstory to why Crayak would have wanted them destroyed. And I liked how they resolved the "sometimes 'I', sometimes 'we'" thing. I mean, that must have driven KAA bonkers trying to figure out how to explain THAT bit.

Also liked the evolution of the game that the Ellimist originally played casually, with made-up races, evolved and became the game between him and Crayak.

As for the prologue/epilogue... I was curious about them, but not especially so. I figured it would be answered in time.
~AniDragon, aka Riona-chan~

Currently Reading: Winterwode, by J Tullos Hennig
Currently Writing: Demon's Bane
Currently Editing: Elder's Requiem

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
I think I read Ellimist Chronicles after I read 54, so the Prologue/Epilogue didn't affect me much.

While I agree that the book left a lot of unanswered questions, it was still an interesting read and did explain a few things. Like why the Ellimist sometimes refers to himself as "we" despite being a single being (because he absorbed the minds of so many people when being held captive).
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Mongoose

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
The thing that intrigued me most was the humble beginnings for the Ellimist. We'd always seen him as this all powerful being, and it was fascinating to go back and show him as a member of a race, not special in any way and watch as he gains his power.
The prologue and epilogue was the first point at which I knew one of the would die, so it's a pretty big deal for me. Although I had to guess after reading it I would have put my money on Tobias. I bought the last ten or so books at the same time, so I read the chronicles where I thought it went,  before the end.

While I agree that the book left a lot of unanswered questions, it was still an interesting read and did explain a few things. Like why the Ellimist sometimes refers to himself as "we" despite being a single being (because he absorbed the minds of so many people when being held captive).
I loved that too. When we first meet the Ellimist Ax says something to the effect that they don't know whether there is one Ellimist or a whole race. In a way the answer was both.
You should never go in there without a mongoose. (James Bond, Live and Let Die)

Offline Kelly

• Gold Donor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
i haven't read it...I've never really felt the urge to.
"I always considered myself a loner. I mean, not like a poor-me, Byron-esque, I-should-have-broughta-swimming-buddy loner. I mean the sort of person who doesn’t feel too upset about the prospect of a weekend spent seeing no one, and reading good books on the couch. It wasn’t like I was a people hater or anything. I enjoyed activities and the company of friends. But they were a side dish. I always thought I would also be happy without them."

- Harry Dresden/Jim Butcher, Ghost Story.

Offline Terenia

• Jr. Staff
  • Got it memorized?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:36:44 AM »
Mixed reaction. I thought the gaming aspect of it was so cool, because I was an rpg addict at the time. The book overall I wasn't too thrilled with the first time through, but I liked it a lot more the second time through.

The prologue and epilogue were devastating, because as soon as I read it I knew it was Rachel that would go. And just knowing that one of the Ani's was going to meet their end...I knew I had to go buy a box of tissues before 54 came out.

Best Fanfiction Author 2008
Best Roleplay Writer 2009
RAFian Artist of the Year 2010
Best Roleplay Writer 2011
Best Roleplay Writer 2013

Offline Kagebutterfly

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:30:12 AM »
I read it because I had enjoyed the other Chronciles so much, but I felt that it was confusing and too much of a detour from the series... until the Andalites where threwn in near the end.

Offline musicman88

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
I wanted it to answer a few questions that it didn't, but overall I was happy with it.  Twas a nice story.
YOU'RE WINNER !

Offline Duff

• Entreprenerd
  • God
    • Under the Capes
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:11:16 AM »
i thought it answered alot of questions about the ellimist and the game and all that

i liked the humble beginnings too, and the fact that he was flawed, he was just a stupid kid that kinda stumbled upon all this and found himself in a battle for the entire universe, instead of an all powerful all knowing god that we had assumed

loved that book

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:50:59 PM »
I don't really remember, but I thought it was talking about one of them on thir deathbed or something. I never thought that one of them would die in battle like that.

That book is one of the more confusing ones, to be sure. I wish it had gone more into the Crayak, or that a Crayak Chronicles had been made.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline CounterInstinct

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 06:44:55 AM »
The book was like the Ellimist itself.... mysterious... but we might just be missing something....  ???
But I didn't expect it was Rachel who will die at the epilogue... I thought it might be Jake or Tobias....
I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To th

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »
I found the book interesting. The only regret I have is that it didn't go far into Crayak's background, or even mention the Howlers in particular. I would like a crayak Chronicles to come out, especially after The One was brought in. The One may have been an old enemy of Crayak.

In the book, the Crayak sad he left a certain galaxy for this one. He may have been kicked out by The One. Who knows?

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline TheSoulEater

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »
I was a little underwhelmed, personally. Even if it did answer questions, the plot seemed a little convoluted and sometimes even a bit boring.

The death didn't faze me much, either. It was pretty easy to tell who it was. The Ellimist called the dying Animorph a "happy accident." And as we learned in Megamorphs #4, the only members of the group not chosen by the Ellimist were the Berenson cousins. And everyone said from almost day one that they didn't know what Rachel could possibly do if the war ended.

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:57:29 PM »
She could have joined the military, or police force. It's not like there would really be nothing left for her to do.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Vanish

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:09:46 AM »
I loved it! The Ellimist Chronicles was one of my favorites in the series. It was so creative. Flying Crystals, Father, The Evolution Game, seeing what the Andalites were like before they were the lords of the Galaxy so cool.
O(o_o)O

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 05:00:41 AM »
The Ellimist Chronicles was the last volume I read, so I already knew about the death. But the story was a little confusing lol Sometimes it was hard to imagine, maybe because I read it in English and the story was strange... I liked it, even if it isn't my favorite.
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline WildAtHeart

• My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
i remember liking it but wishing it was longer.  i actually think that was the last animorphs book i bought. i remember stores around me quit carrying them and then all of a sudden they got that one so i bought it.
i remember being surprised by the prologue and epilogue. i did have a feeling that it was going to be Rachel

Kind of OT but has there ever been a fan drawing of a Ketran? For some reason they were the only aliens i could never get an image of in my head

Offline anijen21

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:35 AM »
I actually worked really hard on this reread to figure out what they look like, and figured out that the information we get is self-contradictory so it's kind of impossible.

All the same, here's what I came up with:

[img width= height=]http://i40.tinypic.com/wkphco.jpg[/img]

It takes as little creative license as possible and pretty much only encapsulates what the text said, but lol I'm sure you can tell why I stick to fanfiction.

I'm really looking forward to how this guy interprets them: http://monster-man-08.deviantart.com/gallery/#Animorphs
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline .: Asmo

• Elder One
  • Xtreme Member
  • :(){ :|: & };:
    • Some Name Space
.: Asmodeus
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
Sole Zombie Apocalypse Survivor 2012/2014/2015
James Bond Villain 2013/2014/2015
Most Likely Harbinger of Armageddon 2014
Best RAFian Superhero/Sidekick (or Supervillain/Minion) Duo 2014

Offline anijen21

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 12:59:39 AM »
lol quit making me look bad.
I go off topic on purpose.

Offline Dameg

• Esplin's RAF Lady
  • <Pirate Gloomy bear morph!>
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
May you show us?
..."in a perpetual state of Celtic gloom"
Esplin's RAFwife!

DeviantArt
Student Evil Demo 1.0 (explicit dialogs, 12+)
My Forum

Offline Unknown User

• RAF's Official Ellimist Expert
  • Xtreme Member
  • ^-^
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
The Ellimist was and is still one of my favorite Animorphs books, all thoughs things that Toomin went through, I felt like I knew him after the journey and was sad that the book was so short. I was also a little bit jealous of the power and prestige that Toomin had aquired by the end.
Meh.

Offline Vanish

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
The Ellimist was and is still one of my favorite Animorphs books, all thoughs things that Toomin went through, I felt like I knew him after the journey and was sad that the book was so short. I was also a little bit jealous of the power and prestige that Toomin had aquired by the end.

:thumbsup:
O(o_o)O

Offline Chad32

• God
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 10:15:14 AM »
I'd say toomin is definitely cursed with awesome. Or blessed with suck. He's this emmensely powerful being, but the only one like him happens to oppose him. If he wasn't battling Crayak, he could probably live countless lives on countless worlds at the same time, recording the entire history of the universe. But still, he'd likely have to keep up a masquerade for all eternity because those puny mortals who knew his true self would likely fear and hate him.

Ani-Master 2014!

Offline Azguard

• God
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
I was super excited about the Ellimist chronicles cuz I actually liked the chronicles the best juicy back story and behind the scenes stuff narrated by aliens. The chronicles always got me the most excited and I think for me the ellimist chronicles was unexpected. The other chronicles dealt with "lower" races so to see one about the powerful ellimist got me giddy. I loved everything about it. I just wished it was longer.
RAFcrushin on Tyler. Come on, isn't everyone?