Author Topic: what is karma  (Read 20621 times)

Offline Essam 293

• Dedicated Archiver
  • Xtreme Member
    • Hirac Delest - An Animorphs Archive
Re: what is karma
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
Your Karma points shouldn't be affected either positively or negatively for rating someone else. It should affect them, not you. It completely takes away the whole point of the rating system.

Also check out: ANIMORPHS ANIMATED | ANIMORPHS 300

Xbox Live/PSN Gamertag: Aximlli

Offline morfowt

• God
  • this is my avatar. it's a picture of nothing...
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2008, 06:52:45 AM »
ok, now yorick is worse off. He's got 39 bad karma; even more than este, although I'd say he got it coming for him, yelling at phoenix...well maybe not really yelling.

Offline Phoenix004

• RAF Ancient
  • Sr. Staff
  • With great RAFpower comes great RAFsponsibility...
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Personally, I think we should just keep the Karma system how it is. It's easier that way. Besides, I think if we changed it then people would be discouraged from applauding.
Animorphs Travels #1 The Invasion
http://animorphsforum.com/index.php?topic=10876.msg860745#msg860745

RAFcon 2015: It's always Hot Dog Day somewhere!

Offline Richard

• Founder
  • Administrator
    • Richard's Animorphs Forum
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »
Personally, I think we should just keep the Karma system how it is. It's easier that way. Besides, I think if we changed it then people would be discouraged from applauding.
Yeah.

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »
My opinion, not terribly important:

Keep the applaud factor normal (no penalty), but make smiting someone an act that demands real consideration. Perhaps make it so that smiting takes away one or two of your own points.

Reasoning:

1. If someone is SERIOUSLY having an impossible time finding his/her niche here (in other words, if they are royally pi**ing everyone off and making NO friends), it would be immediately obvious to them and to anyone in contact with them. They might even consider changing their habits.

2. Anyone smiting someone else would have to have a MAJOR reason for wanting to do it (I KNOW that we can report stuff to the mods, but sometimes we'd rather not have to go QUITE that far, if another avenue can peaceably be taken), so nobody would just randomly and pettily smite someone who may or may not have had it coming.

Honestly, I've gotten to the point that I don't mind even remotely that I spent quite a while on the top  of the Bad-Karma list, since common concensus appears to state that I am generally liked.
Mostly, I'm flattered by the attention that someone has committed to being mad at me. ;)

However, if the situation were such that I were a newbie here, those gut-shots would be a serious kick to my online self-esteem, and I'd probably reconsider my choice of forum.

Because of this, I have a suggestion (might not be possible, but worth suggesting).
Maybe make it so that we would 'lose' more points if we smote someone who was a newbie (really, anything less than 100 posts, else they're not terribly well-known), and fewer if we smite a 'veteran' RAFian, who has been here long enough that they can roll with it.
People would be less likely to smite a kid who doesn't realise his/her mistakes the way another of us would. They'd probably just gently give him/her a 'hint' as to how they should behave in a civilized place like RAF, instead of smiting them, because it wouldn't cost them anything.

Happy all around, more-or-less.

Anywhodle, that's my suggestion, take it or leave it. :)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline Kelran-Isthinar

• Tempus Fugit
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. With the current system I could just repeatedly smite anyone I happened to dislike if I were a rude sort of person, and say someone with nothing better to do decided to make an account, make some posts, and smite everyone repeatedly until banned.

I'm biased though as for no reason that I can immediately discern I have been 'smitten'. twice.  ::) (I actually find it amusing)

It doesn't really worry me, I don't believe in a system like this that makes peoples opinions overly public, and subsequently I will allow my actions to speak for me and ignore my own Karma and everyone elses.....

But the fact that I acumulate 2 negative points before I get to know anyone or even become involved in something controversial (which I usually inevitably do at some point :P ) should be cause for a double-take as its possible it is a symptom of deeper issues with the system, or a single unkown entity abusing the system.
Not necessarily, for all I know and for all my experience and for all the times I have re-checked my posts its possible I made an error I havent noticed. But if not....

Think about it, think about what Estelore said, and think about the fact that if someone can smite anonymously with no reprecussions whatsoever, all it takes is one person to be a wolf in sheep's morph, or one person to be having a bad day to throw the systems purpose out of alignment.  :-\

Now to play devil's advocate, in a perfect universe the system allows people to know when they are generaly overstepping their bounds, and it allows people to anonymously give people a nudge. The system has pros and cons, and like any system the biggest cons have to have checks and balances somewhere.
Another con is that I could look at someone who is on the top of the bad Karma list and assume they are a jerk, but they might have been a good friend if I hadnt leapt to a conclusion.
Another pro is that I could carefully evaluate a persons Karma against examples of their posts and conversations with them to give me an extra variable in forming opinions.
Pros and cons.

Its particularly curious as I have been a part of many social groups, many of them web forums, and have some experience with this sort of thing (this is the only place I have seen it work), and having checked and rechecked my posts the worst negativity I've recieved in the few days I've been here was being told I accidently repeated something someone else said in a thread.  :P hardly cause for being *gasp* smitten.

Like I said, it doesnt phase me, but this is a sterling example of my innate instinct to become involved in a debate and make a 'thesis' post out of it even if I care very little for the topic or have no stake in it.  :P   ;D
Its also an excellent insight into the ridiculously complex matrix of relationships and emotions that is a community.

EDIT; having looked at the top bad and good karma list and leafed through some posts of those members, (which by no means constitues a full steady of this system or those people) I find it most intriguing that several people are on *both* lists.
This either means that;
A; they're controversial people, the sort of people you either like or dislike no gray areas (possible),
B; that they suffer from severe bi-polar (unlikely)
C; that there are three kinds of people here, people who get judged, people who judge smitingly and people who applaud alot, (also possible)
D; that there are other variables I havent seen yet that create other possiblities. (most likely)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:36:21 PM by Kelran-Isthinar »
*anything* is possible, *some* things are probable, this is what is.
And I will continue to deal with what is...
Until it is no more....

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »
I doubt it's C or B.

Edit: did you remember to add in how many topics the person started to your equation? cuz you get one karma point for each topic you start.

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »
My opinion, not terribly important:

Keep the applaud factor normal (no penalty), but make smiting someone an act that demands real consideration. Perhaps make it so that smiting takes away one or two of your own points.

However, if the situation were such that I were a newbie here, those gut-shots would be a serious kick to my online self-esteem, and I'd probably reconsider my choice of forum.

I agree.  I was trying really hard to get my karma up and had gotten as high as 9 before someone went on a smiting rampage against me after he attacked me (a person who has only like 50 posts too)!  I've considered quiting this place a few times today out of sheer frustration and still haven't ruled the possibility out (despite the fact that most of you are awesome people). 

Smiting needs to be controlled more closely (if reasonably possible).
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Estelore

• Constant and Distant
  • God
  • Your friendly neighbourhood plural system
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2008, 06:24:50 AM »
Well, for starters, Wotw, we LIKE HAVING YOU HERE, so please do not leave. You're amusing.  :)

Second...TRYING to get your Karma up? Well, jeez, it isn't THAT big a deal [says the chick with too much Karma anyway], but I gave you a point for free. Happy Un-Birthday. ;)
The universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. There is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. The only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.

-GNU Terry Pratchet, The Thief of Time

Offline wotw2112

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »
Well, for starters, Wotw, we LIKE HAVING YOU HERE, so please do not leave. You're amusing.  :)

Second...TRYING to get your Karma up? Well, jeez, it isn't THAT big a deal [says the chick with too much Karma anyway], but I gave you a point for free. Happy Un-Birthday. ;)

Lol, I assume being amusing is a good thing... (however I'm well aware that monkeys at the zoo are considered "amusing" too...)

Thanks, but I kinda feel like that's a stolen one.  Wasn't looking for pity so much as venting.  But thanks anyway.  ;D

We'll see if this situation resolves itself...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:07:43 AM by wotw2112 »
"Well, that idea might make a stupid idea feel better about itself."
"His goat killed you?"
"I love you shovel."
"Your conscience calls you on the telephone?"

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »
EDIT; having looked at the top bad and good karma list and leafed through some posts of those members, (which by no means constitues a full steady of this system or those people) I find it most intriguing that several people are on *both* lists.
This either means that;
A; they're controversial people, the sort of people you either like or dislike no gray areas (possible),
B; that they suffer from severe bi-polar (unlikely)
C; that there are three kinds of people here, people who get judged, people who judge smitingly and people who applaud alot, (also possible)
D; that there are other variables I havent seen yet that create other possiblities. (most likely)

I keep hearing about this good karma/bad karma list and I can't find it anywhere.  Can someone link me, pretty please??  :-\

As for people being on both lists, I think there are probably many controversial people here.

Offline morfowt

• God
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:20 AM »

Offline Liz

• Gold Donor
    • Facebook
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2008, 02:22:53 AM »
Merci beaucoup!!  :)

Wow, some very interesting statistics there.